The Student Room Group

MA at Oxford/Cambridge

Please don't abuse me - I am not really sure how MAs work.
But at the beginning of last year I was a potential Oxbridge candidate. However, I completely messed up my AS exams and obviously was wiped off the list immediately. I did really want to go to Oxford, but never mind. I've managed to turn things around a bit this year, and am on track for AAA (hopefully!) but I got ABBD at AS (that's after retakes).

Would Oxford/Cambridge look at my AS/A2 grades after my degree when applying for MA courses? Provided I got a first?
Reply 1
Probably not, for postgraduate degree they usually look at what grade you got in your degree (Oxbridge usually want a 1st) and any external exams that you might have to take (like the GMAT or GRE) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Vijay2010
Probably not, for postgraduate degree they usually look at what grade you got in your degree (Oxbridge usually want a 1st) and any external exams that you might have to take (like the GMAT or GRE) :smile:

Actually the majority of courses only have a 2.1 as a requirement, but depending on your subject that may rule you out for any kind of funding.
Reply 3
An oxbridge Ma is an oxbridge Ba + wait a year + pay a fee.
The name of the qualification you get from doing a taught masters at oxbridge is always something else beginning with M.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
An oxbridge Ma is an oxbridge Ba + wait a year + pay a fee.
The name of the qualification you get from doing a taught masters at oxbridge is always something else beginning with M.

sorry, i dont understand?
Reply 5
What Joinedup means is, at Oxbridge you get an MA if you are a member of the university for long enough. If you undertake a taught masters, it isn't an MA, but different letters eg MPhil for Master of Philosophy.

More info here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending