The Student Room Group

AS level extension project

I am intending to begin an extension project within the next couple of weeks. I decided to do it on english lang and lit but I have no idea on what topic i should do. Does anyone have any suggestions???
Reply 1
DO NOT do the extended project! Its the biggest load of bull ever. Yeah, loads of people will tell you universities love it and that it looks really good on applications.

Far, far from the truth. Its an utter waste of time, and when it comes to it, universities aren't bothered at all by it. You might aswell do another AS level. That would be much more beneficial.
Reply 2
Original post by hanna700
I am intending to begin an extension project within the next couple of weeks. I decided to do it on english lang and lit but I have no idea on what topic i should do. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Is this the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)?
Original post by Rennit
DO NOT do the extended project! Its the biggest load of bull ever. Yeah, loads of people will tell you universities love it and that it looks really good on applications.

Far, far from the truth. Its an utter waste of time, and when it comes to it, universities aren't bothered at all by it. You might aswell do another AS level. That would be much more beneficial.

This is completely untrue.

The Extended Project is widely welcomed in principle and in prospect. A large majority of
departmental admissions tutors expect to recognise it as a positive attribute when selecting among
applicants with similar levels of achievement Tutors also welcome its potential to enhance study
skills, to align with undergraduate modes of study and to provide additional diagnostic evidence
when selecting among applicants.”
The 1994 Group
[T]he University recognises that the EPQ will provide an applicant with the opportunity to develop
research and academic skills relevant for study at Oxford. Candidates are encouraged to draw
upon relevant EPQ experience when writing their personal statement.”
University of Oxford
“The Cambridge Colleges welcome the introduction of the Extended Project primarily because
of the benefit we recognise in the skills it will develop in learners and the consequent easing of the
transition from study in secondary to higher education.”
University of Cambridge
“Applicants presenting the Extended Project are encouraged to discuss their research in their
personal statement and reflect on how undertaking the project will help prepare them for studying
their chosen degree at Warwick.”
University of Warwick
“The University recognises that some A Level students may also choose to offer the Extended
Project. In such cases some admissions tutors may make two alternative offers, one of which
involves success in the Extended Project.”
University of Bristol
“We value the skills of research and independent learning that the Extended Project is designed to
develop. We welcome applications from students offering the Extended Project alongside their A
Levels If you offer an Extended Project, it will be taken into account. Your offer may be varied as
a result, in recognition of the level of study skills you will have developed.”
University of Newcastle
“The University very much values the Extended Project and its role in preparing students for a
successful higher education experience in highly selective areas preference may be given to
students entering from 2010 with A Levels, who also offer the Extended Project for entry.”
University of Glasgow

If you do an EPQ in area of real interest, relating to your degree, it will give you a better chance - even if not directly, it will indirectly give you stuff to talk about in your PS and interview.
Reply 4
Extended projects are not a waste, trust me I did it this year and got an A*, not do you only do you learn new things (in your case something about Eng lit and lang) you will also gain great beneficial skills which you can then add to your CV. have in mind that Extended project is an A level therefore, you can get an A* ( trust me its easy, if you but the effort). are you willing to get that A*, start your project after your exams and probably do a bit during the summer holidays. Good luck :smile: and believe me it is not a waste. hard work always pays off
Maybe on a specific area of language /communication ...how communication has changed? our perception of language..language and the brain idk...Google it :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Junaid96
This is completely untrue.

The Extended Project is widely welcomed in principle and in prospect. A large majority of
departmental admissions tutors expect to recognise it as a positive attribute when selecting among
applicants with similar levels of achievement Tutors also welcome its potential to enhance study
skills, to align with undergraduate modes of study and to provide additional diagnostic evidence
when selecting among applicants.”
The 1994 Group
[T]he University recognises that the EPQ will provide an applicant with the opportunity to develop
research and academic skills relevant for study at Oxford. Candidates are encouraged to draw
upon relevant EPQ experience when writing their personal statement.”
University of Oxford
“The Cambridge Colleges welcome the introduction of the Extended Project primarily because
of the benefit we recognise in the skills it will develop in learners and the consequent easing of the
transition from study in secondary to higher education.”
University of Cambridge
“Applicants presenting the Extended Project are encouraged to discuss their research in their
personal statement and reflect on how undertaking the project will help prepare them for studying
their chosen degree at Warwick.”
University of Warwick
“The University recognises that some A Level students may also choose to offer the Extended
Project. In such cases some admissions tutors may make two alternative offers, one of which
involves success in the Extended Project.”
University of Bristol
“We value the skills of research and independent learning that the Extended Project is designed to
develop. We welcome applications from students offering the Extended Project alongside their A
Levels If you offer an Extended Project, it will be taken into account. Your offer may be varied as
a result, in recognition of the level of study skills you will have developed.”
University of Newcastle
“The University very much values the Extended Project and its role in preparing students for a
successful higher education experience in highly selective areas preference may be given to
students entering from 2010 with A Levels, who also offer the Extended Project for entry.”
University of Glasgow

If you do an EPQ in area of real interest, relating to your degree, it will give you a better chance - even if not directly, it will indirectly give you stuff to talk about in your PS and interview.

We were given the same information too. I entered my essay into a national competition and won, I mentioned it all in my statement and not a single mention. At the end of the interview he asked me "So, any questions?" And I asked him if he'd like to talk about my EPQ. He smiled at me and said the EPQ was in its "early stages" at the moment, and then shook my hand and said goodbye.

I spoke to the other people who did the EPQ and they didn't get a single mention from any interviewer.

I think in principle, universities agree with the EPQ but it isnt there JUST yet. So this is why i say don't do it this year. :P
Reply 7
Original post by Monzystar
Extended projects are not a waste, trust me I did it this year and got an A*, not do you only do you learn new things (in your case something about Eng lit and lang) you will also gain great beneficial skills which you can then add to your CV. have in mind that Extended project is an A level therefore, you can get an A* ( trust me its easy, if you but the effort). are you willing to get that A*, start your project after your exams and probably do a bit during the summer holidays. Good luck :smile: and believe me it is not a waste. hard work always pays off

I second this! I thought it would be impossible to motivate myself and I found that in actual fact the opposite was true - I couldn't wait to do more work! To be honest, I would have taken it even if it hadn't been beneficial for my application because it's one of the first times you get to study and write about a subject of your choice! But it IS good for your UCAS application if you apply - motivation, individual study etc.
In order NOT to panic, read over the summer holidays and start a plan - if you can start writing a bit, then you'll be really well prepared :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by xrachelliex
I second this! I thought it would be impossible to motivate myself and I found that in actual fact the opposite was true - I couldn't wait to do more work! To be honest, I would have taken it even if it hadn't been beneficial for my application because it's one of the first times you get to study and write about a subject of your choice! But it IS good for your UCAS application if you apply - motivation, individual study etc.
In order NOT to panic, read over the summer holidays and start a plan - if you can start writing a bit, then you'll be really well prepared :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

as I am in yr12 at the moment, I wouldn't know but what I know is that Uni's desire those who do more activities and desire those who work independently, and Extended project involves you working Independently so it is worth doing it :smile:
Reply 9
What about something like why a certain book/novel can never be as effective on the screen, you could tlk about syntax and language etc..
The example I was thinking about was The Great Gatsby.
It's great if you're doing it for personal interest or extra UCAS points, but not as great otherwise (unless you're doing something really awesome, then you might end up with some contacts or work experience, I even got a summer internship offer while doing mine.)

As for topics, maybe you could look into how an or some authors writing styles change throughout their books or poems, although this would also link in with Psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest