The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swbp
That would be THE ideal question.

What sort of things would you write then?

+provides employment
+may put an area on the map

-decline of CBD
-may be built on greenfield sites - conservation issues

:confused:
Hey!
Hope everyone's Revison is going well!

I'm brushing up on the Plate Tectonics theory tonight because I've got a sneaky feeling it might come up!

Has anyone got any model essays on it or a suggested structure for tackling a question on it?

Plus can anyone simplify Paelomagnitism and how it supports the plate Tectonics theory?

Seriously stressing out and Confused!!!

Cheers. :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by VanessaXD
what topics r u doing?

Plate tectonics essay
Ecosystems and world cities shorter question :smile:
Reply 1303
Original post by Heyimdec
What sort of things would you write then?

+provides employment
+may put an area on the map

-decline of CBD
-may be built on greenfield sites - conservation issues

:confused:

I wouldn't really talk about the positive effects to be honest. I'd do 3 case studies highlighting out of town retail and its impact on an area, e.g. Derby, and then their solution to the problems in the area, maybe putting one final paragraph about the advantages of out of town retail.
Original post by lewiswarby
Plate tectonics essay
Ecosystems and world cities shorter question :smile:

well for short questions for world cities i think gentrification, urbanisation + decentralisation of retailing will come up :P

im not allowed to do plate tectonics essay because im doing two human topics XD and i don't do eco systems :redface:
Original post by Matthew Reed
Hey!

Plus can anyone simplify Paelomagnitism and how it supports the plate Tectonics theory?

Only way i can explain is that as plates separate, they obviously throw up magma through the crack (best example is north atlantic ridge) this happens for a while, and every now and then (i think it's every 600,000 years) the earths magnetic field switches, at the moment it's north, but it's switched to south and then back again through time. The magnetic particles in the rock would point in whichever direction the magnetic field was. This supports plate tectonic theory as we can see there are discordant lines in the sea floor, where spreading has occurred, and the parts pointing north for example are equi-distant from the ridge from which they come, and are the same age.
Hope that helps, sounds rusty if i may say so myself
Okay just wrote a plan for a question which could come up for the plate tectonics essay...
"Discuss the extent to which volcanic and seismic events are major factors towards proving plate tectonics theory is valid"

Any feedback would be greaaaat :smile::smile:

INTRO
-Explination of plate tectonics theory.. convection currents created by radioactive decay causing the movement of plate
-where convection currents diverge crust is created, where the converge crust is destoryed etc.
-Lots of evidence to support this theory from Alfred Wegner's findings of 'continetal fit' etc and also the location of seismic and volcanic events largely occouring on plate bounderies

PARA 1
-Majority of volcanic and seismic events follow plate bounderies, e.g pacific 'ring of fire'
-E.g destructive margins such as Nazca plate subducting under South American plate. Volcanic erruptions in the Andes a result of this such as Nivardo Del Ruiz 1985 erruption
-Conservative margins create earthquakes e.g San adreas fault - creating earthquakes in San Fransisco e.g 1989

PARA 2
-Evidence of paleomagnetism at conservetive bouderies, new crust created at these bouderies e.g mid atlantic ridge. This in time creates islands such as Iceland and Surtsey -1965
-Fissure erruptions take place here - basaltic, runny lava... e.g Eijafjallajokul erruption 2010

PARA 3
-Some volcanos/earthquakes occour away from plate bounderies
-Such as central china - earthquakes created by faults.. e.g Longmenshan fault in Sichuan created by stresses in the crust between Sichuan basin and tibetan plateu.
-Some beleive the Sichuan earthquake of 2008 to be caused by the building of zipingpu dam 500m from the Longmenshan fault rather than due to plate movement

PARA 4
-Hot spots found away from plate bounderies
-E.g Hawaii 3000km from the nearest plate boundery ... could suggest plate tectonics theory is not valid

PARA 5
-Other evidence such as continental fit, fossil evidence (mesosaurous), glacial deposits etc

CONC
-overall does provide sufficient evidence.. (cant think of a good conclusion!)
Reply 1307
right guys i'm currently having heart attacks thinking about this exam, especially as I have another MAJOR 3 hour exam in the morning.. so PLEASE help me out! :smile:
how could I relate the case studies I have to a plate tectonics 40 marker?!
and also, what do you guys think are the most likely things to come up on weather and world cities? pretty sure its in this thread... but there's waaay too many pages! :P
Reply 1308
Original post by smellycat123
Okay just wrote a plan for a question which could come up for the plate tectonics essay...
"Discuss the extent to which volcanic and seismic events are major factors towards proving plate tectonics theory is valid"

INTRO
-Explination of plate tectonics theory.. convection currents created by radioactive decay causing the movement of plate
-where convection currents diverge crust is created, where the converge crust is destoryed etc.
-Lots of evidence to support this theory from Alfred Wegner's findings of 'continetal fit' etc and also the location of seismic and volcanic events largely occouring on plate bounderies

PARA 1
-Majority of volcanic and seismic events follow plate bounderies, e.g pacific 'ring of fire'
-E.g destructive margins such as Nazca plate subducting under South American plate. Volcanic erruptions in the Andes a result of this such as Nivardo Del Ruiz 1985 erruption
-Conservative margins create earthquakes e.g San adreas fault - creating earthquakes in San Fransisco e.g 1989

PARA 2
-Evidence of paleomagnetism at conservetive bouderies, new crust created at these bouderies e.g mid atlantic ridge. This in time creates islands such as Iceland and Surtsey -1965
-Fissure erruptions take place here - basaltic, runny lava... e.g Eijafjallajokul erruption 2010

PARA 3
-Such as central china - earthquakes created by faults.. e.g Longmenshan fault in Sichuan created by stresses in the crust between Sichuan basin and tibetan plateu.
-Some beleive the Sichuan earthquake of 2008 to be caused by the building of zipingpu dam 500m from the Longmenshan fault rather than due to plate movement

PARA 4
-E.g Hawaii 3000km from the nearest plate boundery ... could suggest plate tectonics theory is not valid

PARA 5
-Other evidence such as continental fit, fossil evidence (mesosaurous), glacial deposits etc

CONC

Seems relatively decent structure to have- I wouldn't say that hot spots occuring suggests plate theory isn't valid though- they represent evidence supporting the theory not against :tongue:

Could perhaps include that volcanic and seismic events are happening all the time? E.g Recent Italian earthquake

Varying scale of the events, some smaller than others?

As eruptions and seismic events have occured we have recorded them allowing us to develop mappings such as the Ring of fire; although its unsure how useful these are as we are still unable to predict seismic and tectonic events accurately.

In my conclusion i'd include something to do with the fact that theory will be constantly changing, and the use and improvement to technology will only benefit us when adapting current theories since Wegener's in 1912.

Don't know if this helps, just saying what i would have added :smile:
Reply 1309
Original post by Sticky93
Seems relatively decent structure to have- I wouldn't say that hot spots occuring suggests plate theory isn't valid though- they represent evidence supporting the theory not against :tongue:

That bit helps you to evaluate your argument though, address the "To what extent in the question

Could perhaps include that volcanic and seismic events are happening all the time? E.g Recent Italian earthquake

As eruptions and seismic events have occured we have recorded them allowing us to develop mappings such as the Ring of fire; although its unsure how useful these are as we are still unable to predict seismic and tectonic events accurately.

In my conclusion i'd include something to do with the fact that theory will be constantly changing, and the use and improvement to technology will only benefit us when adapting current theories since Wegener's in 1912.

Thank you! This certainly helps :smile: i like your thinking :smile:
Reply 1311
Original post by JSR94
Thankyou :smile: Now to practise writing it...

after you have done itt, fancy posting a plan of what you may include for 40 marks?x
Original post by VanessaXD
well for short questions for world cities i think gentrification, urbanisation + decentralisation of retailing will come up :P

im not allowed to do plate tectonics essay because im doing two human topics XD and i don't do eco systems :redface:

What do you mean by Gentrification on its own? Does it not come under Re-urbanisation? If not, can you help me out onto what to include??

Also.. this may sound stupid but how does hot spots support the theory? I am confused because they dont follow plate bounderies:confused:
Any predicitons for the conflicts short questions......feeling multicultural or international conflict will be the essay...

and i have a feeling that intrusive landforms might sneek into the plate tectonics...

x
Original post by smellycat123

INTRO

PARA 1

PARA 2

PARA 3

PARA 4

PARA 5

CONC

Cheers! :smile:

Is it unlikely that the Plate Tectonics 40 Marker could be on Extrusive and Intrusive Landforms?

Would be a horrible question!!!

Original post by lewiswarby
What do you mean by Gentrification on its own? Does it not come under Re-urbanisation? If not, can you help me out onto what to include??

They asked partnership schemes on their own n that comes under re-urbanisation so you never know lol

Do you want me to send you my notes on it? I've got quite abit on it.
Reply 1318
Is it unlikely that the Plate Tectonics 40 Marker could be on Extrusive and Intrusive Landforms?

Highly doubt it, it's almost completely theoretical, and almost impossible to be synoptic.
Reply 1319

I was thinking of that today... but to be completely honest i doubt we could really develop on that idea and get to the level of 'sinuosity' that they want...
i'm also trying to calm myself into thinking it's not because i would have NO case studies to put into that whatsoever! ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending