Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Do You Think Of This?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know it's rather irrelevant typing this out here, considering it's already been and gone. Nevertheless.

I'm doing GCSE's. And I revise for them. Not to the extent where it's 8 hours per day, but I do revise for them. And I do need that revision. Which is why I simply don't understand how some people can do no revision yet still manage to get A*'s or even C. I simply don't understand this. I guess there is minority who will have to do very little work and a majority who will have to revise and work a lot. I guess it all works out in the end because we're all good at something. But, what I do think is that the majority of people who do revise don't ever speak up because they don't get "high grades" like A*/A. So therefore when the minority say "exams are getting easier" no one really speaks up, because no one is really going to say I revised and failed. (I realised this, because when you look at the statistics of the amount of people who didn't pass exams, the amount is more than the amount that passed).

Anyway.

My friend rang me up today (we hadn't spoke for a while) and asked if I wanted to go out, I said I couldn't because I had to revise... So she said, "you revise too much, I'm surprised you don't get A*s".

And this really annoyed me because she's the type of person who won't revise yet still gets a good grade, yet I'll revise and get the same grade as her. It seems somewhat unfair. But like I mentioned above there is always going to be a minority and a majority.

Do you think my friend was wrong to say this? Also, to anyone out there who does revise for exams, do you find it unfair that people don't revise for exams yet get higher than you? Or do you just see as it, "the real world"?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a great deal of variance in the natural aptitudes people have for all sorts of things. It can be irritating, but you're better off spending time looking for things you're good at than you are complaining about the things you're not good at.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend read through the text book the night before each of our GCSE exams and got all A's/A*'s. Whereas we have a friend who did loads of revision and got D's.
    Just the way it works I'm afraid.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    There's a great deal of variance in the natural aptitudes people have for all sorts of things. It can be irritating, but you're better off spending time looking for things you're good at than you are complaining about the things you're not good at.
    Fair enough, but I don't really have a choice but too revise...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooglesballsack)
    Me and my girlfriend read through the text book the night before each of our GCSE exams and got all A's/A*'s. Whereas we have a friend who did loads of revision and got D's.
    Yeah. My friend does that as well, I think it's just the way her mind works, she can easily remember all the information whereas I have a bad memory so it definitely wouldn't work for me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I was one of those people. I did some revision and got mostly A's. I just found that reading text books didn't work. I just did a few past exam papers and it would work perfectly for me, and I learnt best from this.

I guess if you can find out what makes you learn best, then you don't need to revise as much.

People who told me they had read through the text book 5 times would still get lower grades than me because that method simply doesn't work for them. It was the same for my music GCSE- everyone was reading through the book and trying to memorise each element of each song, and they would come into lessons and say they listened to the CD three times last night. They can listen to the CD 50 times and it won't make a difference.

I recommend doing past papers. It's how I learnt best and fastest.

And those people who get straight A*'s are the ones who learn best through one method, stick to it and they just start a little earlier than everyone else.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I think I was one of those people. I did some revision and got mostly A's. I just found that reading text books didn't work. I just did a few past exam papers and it would work perfectly for me, and I learnt best from this.

I guess if you can find out what makes you learn best, then you don't need to revise as much.

People who told me they had read through the text book 5 times would still get lower grades than me because that method simply doesn't work for them. It was the same for my music GCSE- everyone was reading through the book and trying to memorise each element of each song, and they would come into lessons and say they listened to the CD three times last night. They can listen to the CD 50 times and it won't make a difference.

I recommend doing past papers. It's how I learnt best and fastest.

And those people who get straight A*'s are the ones who learn best through one method, stick to it and they just start a little earlier than everyone else.
    I get what you mean. It's more about what my friend said that annoyed me...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because your friend can gain good grades without sufficient revision, perhaps she doesn't understand the effect of those comments on you! I do think you should try and ignore it and not let it get to you though. However, when it comes to A levels, you absolutely NEED hard work, without it, you are most likely to fail. :/ and the fact that you've been working consistently throughout GCSE's, shows that you CAN put the effort it, and it will work in your favour later!

Just remember, hard work pays off!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooglesballsack)
    Well, easy for you to say..

But I get A*'s
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah yo there are some people who are good at nothing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subjectman10)
    Well, easy for you to say..

But I get A*'s
    I did too, as did my girlfriend :L

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.