The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

do you reckon this happens in every country every time? 'will it be as good as the last?' or is it just that the Brits are so pessimistic. I bet we are the only country asking it every time, everyone else knows it doesn't matter.
Reply 9401
Hands up who else is a 44 on here?
Original post by Olympian
No one knows as no one apart from the organisors know all the sperate segments. In any case, comparisons should not be made as they are two seperate entities.

So basically it's not looking good.
Reply 9403
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

??? strange response? I didnt say that. But what you have said flies in the face of what everyone else is saying
:curious: Ok, but doesn't answer my question as to how the opening ceremony compares to the chinese.

no, but it was a direct response to 'i heard it's going to be ****e'

Wasn't Beijing forced labour and dire consequences if it wasn't executed with military precision? We all want to be there and I think the community spirit and warmth will be evident. It's a different entity to Beijing. Just as Beijing was to all others before it.

au contraire Mon Ami, it's looking i-****ing-mmense
Reply 9406
I have just noticed something that some people may not be aware of. It is quite easy to think that you are sending a PM to someone, but actually you are just writing on that persons profile page which everyone can see. Some people have put thier email address etc on the profile page of others thinking it was a PM. Please be careful and makes sure you use the link that says PM that person.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
no, but it was a direct response to 'i heard it's going to be ****e'

Wasn't Beijing forced labour and dire consequences if it wasn't executed with military precision? We all want to be there and I think the community spirit and warmth will be evident. It's a different entity to Beijing. Just as Beijing was to all others before it.

Well I see the organisers have got their excuses ready. Let's hope they put as much effort into making a good opening ceremony, I wont hold my breath though. :cool:
Reply 9408
I think you meant that for foghorn? :smile:

OOOOOOps, sorry yes :colondollar: just deleted it
Well I see the organisers have got their excuses ready. Let's hope they put as much effort into making a good opening ceremony, I wont hold my breath though. :cool:

where did you get that about organisers and excuses? Something you made up? Because I certainly am not an organiser, haven't colluded with organisers and am not making excuses. I stated a fact that was widely reported at the time and used logic for the rest.
Reply 9410
I think you meant that for foghorn? :smile:

Hvae just PM'd you :smile:
Reply 9411

What excuses? I think they are putting a lot of effort into making a good ceremony
where did you get that about organisers and excuses? Something you made up? Because I certainly am not an organiser, haven't colluded with organisers and am not making excuses. I stated a fact that was widely reported at the time and used logic for the rest.

No I'm reading between the lines. I think it's great you are being optimistic about this whole thing, but let's face it, the opening ceremony is going to be crap. I mean just judging by that little display we saw at the end of the 2008 olympics when a big crappy double decker bus rolled into the stadium and david beckham embarrassed us, you know it wont be good. The chinese had a massive budget and an amazing synchronised drumming session, we have boris johnson. :pierre:

Obviously I realise the london opening ceremony wont be the same as the chinese, but you can still compare the two for entertainment value. :cool:
Don't feed the troll, people.

I've written elsewhere (in print) that being involved in the ceremonies is a welcome change from the fashionable cynicism around us.

The one thing that took me by surprise at the start of the process is this pure and almost naïve enthusiasm displayed by volunteers. It's incredibly motivating, so let's use that to show all those cynics, skeptics and negativists with their destructive attitudes what proper strength of character is.
What excuses? I think they are putting a lot of effort into making a good ceremony

Beijing opening ceremony:

London ceremony:

:pierre:
Hello everyone. This is my first post, however I've been lurking ever since my audition as a dancer for the Rio handover. I'd intended to wait to see whether I got a role before joining this forum, but my excitement has got the better of me.

I met at least one TSR member at the audition (2pm May 26th). If you talked to an Englishwoman in a red T-shirt, who couldn't stop grinning because the audition was just fantastic fun - that was me.

Of course I'll be beside myself with joy if I get a role in the show. But whether I do or not, I feel that I'm already a (very small) part of this celebration, together with all the rest of you who've taken part in an audition as a dancer or drummer or production person.

PS For those of you who don't speak Portuguese, "O Samba vai vencer" means "The Samba will triumph". It's the first line of a beautiful samba by Caetano Veloso about peace, democracy and dancing in the streets.
Reply 9416

London ceremony:

Oh, i didnt realise the London ceremony had come and gone !! Oh .. it hasn't well perhaps that is just one picture taken out of context and is just a rehearsal for a very small segment.

London ceremony:

there are no morris dancer, so it shows how little you know!

Did you know, this conversation actually happened in 08:
'do you remember the 96 games in Atlanta? those cheerleaders were something, weren't they? There's no way Beijing can beat that. What the hell are Beijing going to show us?'

OH YEAH.

I'd love to see what Foghorn would do for the OOC. Just stand there and gush about Beijing and moan about the rain. Gosh, I wish you were in charge. Ever thought of moving to Beijing? I hear there is great freedom of speech over there. You'd do well.
I'm bored of the negative guy now! So that's that.

It was nice interacting with you Olympian! :biggrin:
I like how you can make such a firm opinion of something, even though you know very little about it. I assume that you are a student and at some point you will be writing up a dissertation, may i respectfully suggest that if you are going to express your opinion in it, that you actually base it on something that has substance or you might find you have rewrite it. Just saying.

Thanks for the advice. :rolleyes:

Look I'm just going on past experience and what I can see already about the London olympics, and so far it's not looking good. For example look at the state of the olympic sculpture. I know it's supposed to be an engineering mastermind, but it looks horrendous. It actually looks like the sculpture isn't finished and we've only managed to build the skelaton. And what about that bloody logo, the person that commissioned that must have been blind! I realise it's danny boyle doing the opening ceremony, and I like boyles work as much as the next guy, but let's face it, we're british, we're good at many things, but this ceremony is going to be a major disapointment. :dontknow:

orbit_2039842b.jpg

200px-London_Olympics_2012_logo.svg.png

Latest