Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reading advice please :)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Warning in advance, this is probably a very daft question!

I am due to start an English Language and Literature degree in October with the Open Uni. I haven’t studied English since school quite a few years ago so I am completely out of the loop.

I love reading, but I have only really ever read simple chick lits (Marian Keyes, Paige Toon etc) the most complex books I’ve read are the Twilight series…

So, if these exist, can you recommend any…starter books if you like…something more complex to ease me in to it before I start the degree?

I have bought Looking for Alaska…is that a good one to start with?

Thanks so much for your help!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Captain Underpants is a good entry level book series to read.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a look through lists like http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2003...atures.fiction (for example) and pick a handful of novels (go for shorter ones) that grab your interest.

Liked twilight? Look at Bram Stoker's Dracula for the original tale! Chick lit? Check out Little Women. There really is no official starter list for starting you up on this kind of thing, so I'd recommend sticking to your interests, but constantly expanding and forming opinions.

For a uni course, I would also recommend you buy an "introduction to literature" book like http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Lite...2&sr=1-1-spell for an overview of literary periods and key ideas, and maybe an "introduction to theory" book like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Literary-The.../dp/0631201882 for critical approaches. You'll probably find these fairly heavy and academic, but hopefully you'll be able to find one gentle enough that you can flick through a few chapters here and there without wanting to tear your skull out.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've never read Harry Potter? :lolwut:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini.. Perhaps the best books i've ever read tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    George Orwell's Nineteen eighty-four and Animal Farm are scintillating reads.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xalex99x)
    Hi,

Warning in advance, this is probably a very daft question!

I am due to start an English Language and Literature degree in October with the Open Uni. I haven’t studied English since school quite a few years ago so I am completely out of the loop.

I love reading, but I have only really ever read simple chick lits (Marian Keyes, Paige Toon etc) the most complex books I’ve read are the Twilight series…

So, if these exist, can you recommend any…starter books if you like…something more complex to ease me in to it before I start the degree?

I have bought Looking for Alaska…is that a good one to start with?

Thanks so much for your help!!
    Looking for Alaska is not going to prepare you for the heavy literary reading you will have to engage in during a literature degree (although it is a step up from Marian Keyes, and Twlight). You need to dive straight into the classics, Bronte, Eliot, Dickens, Orwell, Wordsworth, etc.

Do you have an A level in Eng Lit/Eng Lang & Lit. If you do re-visit the authors you studied then. If you haven't studied Eng Lang & Lit at A-level I think going straight into a degree is a huge jump, especially if you're not comfortable reading some of the above titles. Also doing a lit degree just because you enjoy reading is probably not the best idea, you have to love, and be good at the subject. The degree itself is heavy-going.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starshine123)
    Looking for Alaska is not going to prepare you for the heavy literary reading you will have to engage in during a literature degree (although it is a step up from Marian Keyes, and Twlight). You need to dive straight into the classics, Bronte, Eliot, Dickens, Orwell, Wordsworth, etc.

Do you have an A level in Eng Lit/Eng Lang & Lit. If you do re-visit the authors you studied then. If you haven't studied Eng Lang & Lit at A-level I think going straight into a degree is a huge jump, especially if you're not comfortable reading some of the above titles. Also doing a lit degree just because you enjoy reading is probably not the best idea, you have to love, and be good at the subject. The degree itself is heavy-going.
    This, my flatmates study Eng Lit and were forced to jump straight into Chaucer and Donne... Eng Lit is not as an easy degree as people always seem to make it out to be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try reading 'classics' like Frankenstein, Dracula, Lord of the Flies and so on.
    If you want to start easy, go with some of the original Sherlock Holmes short stories. (Anything from the first three collection - 'Adventures', 'Memoirs' and 'Return', I would recommend,as well as the Hound of the Baskervilles novel.)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    You've never read Harry Potter? :lolwut:
    I agree. I started reading them when I was 14. They seem nice and "easy" books for starters.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's not about WHAT you're reading, necessarily, but HOW you read it.

You could struggle through Peace & War, Atlas Shrugged and the entire works of Dickens, it wouldn't prepare you for a degree in the slightest. You need to be analysing the books as you read - why does this character do that? Why might the author have said that, used that word or metaphor? Perhaps get a few classics and pick up a copy of the york notes for them to introduce you to that idea
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're right to start looking further afield - you'll probably be thrown straight in to some very difficult texts, and be expected to read them quickly and thoroughly.

Jane Eyre springs to mind immediately, to get used to reading older works. It's very readable with wonderful characters and is essentially a dramatic love story. The Picture of Dorian Gray too, very short, gripping, definitely worth a go. Also you might want to try The Great Gatsby - America in the 1920's, beautifully written with fascinating characters and lots to think about.

earthisearthis was definitely right about picking up a theory book as well. I'd really recommend An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory by Bennett and Royle - it sounds horrible but it's made up of brief introductions to a huge range of topics you'll want to be at least a little bit familiar with before starting. Very easy to follow and it will give you a good grounding in the basics.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the rest of these guys, you really need to know a bit about theory before you start, so you know how to approach the texts and why they're important. If you're into chick lits, maybe you could start with books like Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, and maybe a few of Shakespeare's plays, like the Merchant of Venice, or As You Like It.
    At degree level though you'd expected to be reading stuff like Milton's Paradise Lost and John Donne's work, which is far more difficult.
    I think it's great that you're taking initiative though, good luck with your degree!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Blindness by Jose Saramago, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.