The Student Room Group

What time would you consider late, to go to sleep?

I am 27, and currently unemployed. At the moment, I am going gym 4-5 days a week, doing on average 1 hour 40 mins each time.

I been going to sleep recently at around 1-1.30am, waking up around 1-2pm.

My mum has been complaining that I shouldn't be going to sleep this late.

I was wondering if people feel 1-1.30am is a late time to go to bed? It's just that I have been watching the Euros, and I have nothing to wake up to. I proberly using the Euros as an excuse to why I going bed at 1am. I am going to the job centre tomorrow to look for work.

Personally, I don't feel 1-1.30am is that late. But does my mum have a point and that I should go to bed earlier and going to bed earlier is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You sleep for way too long. You shouldn't be sleeping for 12 hours every night. 8 is more than enough, and you better get used to it because when you start working, you're going to get up early every morning.
Reply 2
I usually go to bed no later than 12 :tongue:
I have to revise so I go to sleep at 3, i think 5 is too late
Reply 4
I always aim to be in bed and asleep by midnight but realistically that just doesn't happen. Normally sleep from around 1/1:30 til 9/10am.

I am a big fan of an afternoon nap however!
Reply 5
Don't worry about setting a time for bed - your body will force that.. Set a time to get up. You'll quickly change when you go to bed.. It's hard the first few nights but it's what I did. To me, half 12 is late enough, though sometimes I'll stay up til 2. I still get up before 12 though...!
Reply 6
school night 12/12:30AM
weekend 2AM
Your spending way to much time sleeping, anywhere between 6 and 9 hours is perfectly fine but 12 is way too much. I tend to go to sleep at about 11 and wake up at around 6-6.30 for work.
It probably isn't great for your sleeping pattern initially, but if you have nothing to wake up for then I'm sure you will soon become accustomed to it. Unfortunately I have to get up at 7 and yet I still find myself going to sleep at like 12/1. Not good.

But hey, at weekends sometimes I make it to 3. I blame the film channels.
2pm is late for me, on holidays I usually sleep to mid-day.
Reply 10
I ideally like to sleep at 11pm, although do not consider it late until it's beyond 1am.
I consider past midnight as late to go to sleep. I'm also unemployed and some nights I go to sleep at 3am, which I don't think is good :o:. It's mainly because I get distracted and addicted to the internet :colondollar:.

I think getting up at 1pm probably isn't too good an idea, as it means you're wasting the day away a bit when you could be spending that time doing some more constructive things. Also, isn't sleeping for 12 hours straight quite excessive for an adult? I usually average on about 8 hours, but even on my sleepier days I don't even tend to go past 10 hours.
You are literally spending half of your life asleep...
Reply 13
I don't understand what the hours spent at the gym has to do with the question - but it's all up to you. If you get the habit of sleeping for 12ish hours you are gonna have hell adjusting away from that later on when you do get a job.
It's said that 10 is a good time to go to bed because of sleepingpatterns and for the body (because of the dark outside) and something about loosing weight as well.

in the afternoon
Reply 15
the time you go to sleep and wake up is almost irrelevant when you don't have to wake up at a certain time, but 12 hours does seem very excessive especially since you are not a teenager, do you ACTUALLY sleep for 12 hours, or do you go to bed at 1am, get to SLEEP at 4am and wake up in the afternoon?

Original post by FatCharlie
I don't understand what the hours spent at the gym has to do with the question - but it's all up to you. If you get the habit of sleeping for 12ish hours you are gonna have hell adjusting away from that later on when you do get a job.
It's said that 10 is a good time to go to bed because of sleepingpatterns and for the body (because of the dark outside) and something about loosing weight as well.

it's not said, it's said that you should go to bed when you are tired and wake up when your body wants to, but this is almost impossible for most people due to the fact that they start to feel tired again more than 24 (say, 25 hours) hours of them falling asleep. Exercise + mental exercise + not having caffeine before going to bed + not using bright electric lights in the evening can help to bring this 25 hour cycle back down to 24
I prefer to go to bed at around half 10 and get up at half 6 for work. I just find this is the optimum time for me as an individual, although other people's sleep patterns are varied.
Reply 17
I tend to go to bed around 2-3AM whatever time I have to be up the next day. If that means I only get 2 hours sleep because I'm working an early shift then I'll just crash out for an hour or two in the afternoon.

Mind you, if it's the Holidays and I don;t have work for a week I'll find myself moving into the going to bed at 6AM, getting up at 2PM sort of pattern.
Last summer I had a habit of going to sleep at like 8am and sleep to 3-4pm. It was bad and made me feel awful. I can't make it past 1am now xD
3-4AM is late for me... I usually go to sleep at 1AM though.

Quick Reply

Latest