The Student Room Group

Urgent a level choice: Engineering

Guys I need help.

I have taken 3 A levels that I plan on to do at A2. These are Physics, Maths, FM.
Now for my 4th A Level I have taken Economics w/ Business, but I am planning to change it to Chemistry which I want to take to A2 as well. Will this stand me in a good stead to get into a good uni like Cambridge? I have seen the Cambridge website regarding entrance, but I want to ask people who have got into the uni and ask do Cambridge go for versatility in their subjects? If this is the case, I will go for Economics w/ Business. But if they don't care about versatility or showing different subjects you can do, I am happy to go for Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry for A2.

This is urgent since my school can't change our A levels after a certain date!

Thanks guys! Appreciate your help!
Reply 1
bump
Your A level's are fine as they are, Maths, Further Maths and Physics is enough to get into Cambridge. However as the Course offered is a general course, I think Chemistry would be a more advantageous A level to have in replacement of Economics.

Fundamentally though, both are strong 4th A levels and shouldn't affect your application to Cambridge, focus on your personal statement and Interview because that is the sole basis for an acceptance, provided you have the basic A levels, (Maths and Physics)

I would think about whether you want to go into the business side of Engineering (if so take Economics) or leave the Possibility of Chemical Engineering/Natural Sciences at Cambridge open (If so take Chemistry)

All the best and good luck with your application!
Reply 3
Original post by Future Engineer
Your A level's are fine as they are, Maths, Further Maths and Physics is enough to get into Cambridge. However as the Course offered is a general course, I think Chemistry would be a more advantageous A level to have in replacement of Economics.

Fundamentally though, both are strong 4th A levels and shouldn't affect your application to Cambridge, focus on your personal statement and Interview because that is the sole basis for an acceptance, provided you have the basic A levels, (Maths and Physics)

I would think about whether you want to go into the business side of Engineering (if so take Economics) or leave the Possibility of Chemical Engineering/Natural Sciences at Cambridge open (If so take Chemistry)

All the best and good luck with your application!

Thanks for your advice! The thing is though my 4th A level isn't Economics, but it is Economics with Business and I am worried that this A level is looked down upon because of this. What about the versatility of subjects? Do they look for an all rounded person who can do even social sciences (e.g.:colone:conomics w/ business) or do they not care about that?

Thanks!
Original post by Frankster
Thanks for your advice! The thing is though my 4th A level isn't Economics, but it is Economics with Business and I am worried that this A level is looked down upon because of this. What about the versatility of subjects? Do they look for an all rounded person who can do even social sciences (e.g.:colone:conomics w/ business) or do they not care about that?

Thanks!

To be blatantly honest, they don't care.

For my Interview:

I went in, they looked at my A levels:
"Ah good, your taking Maths and Physics to A level"

Now... Differentiate this, what would happen if I did this, Draw this graph, apply this concept.

All they care about is if you have Maths and Physics, which you do. Apart from that they don't care about your other A levels (Except Further Maths), they like to ask you questions on FP1, FP2, C2 and C3 Particularly Complex Numbers, Integration and Differentiation *Hint hint*

In all likelihood, Economics With or Without Business and Chemistry won't make the slightest difference to your application.

Focus on being fluent at FP1, FP2, C2 and C3. Best tip for any Cambridge Engineering applicant.
Reply 5
Original post by Future Engineer
To be blatantly honest, they don't care.

For my Interview:

I went in, they looked at my A levels:
"Ah good, your taking Maths and Physics to A level"

Now... Differentiate this, what would happen if I did this, Draw this graph, apply this concept.

All they care about is if you have Maths and Physics, which you do. Apart from that they don't care about your other A levels (Except Further Maths), they like to ask you questions on FP1, FP2, C2 and C3 Particularly Complex Numbers, Integration and Differentiation *Hint hint*

In all likelihood, Economics With or Without Business and Chemistry won't make the slightest difference to your application.

Focus on being fluent at FP1, FP2, C2 and C3. Best tip for any Cambridge Engineering applicant.

Rightttt... get it now! Thanks so much for your help... really cleared up a lot in my head!

Quick Reply

Latest