The Student Room Group

How do I choose an insurance uni?

I'm currently looking at uni's, going to open days etc and am contemplating how to choose a backup. Firstly I was told by my school to choose 1 ambitious uni, 3 realistic and 1 backup. Do you think this is sensible? Also when applying to uni's what do you think the gap should be between the offer you accept as a firm and your insurance. E.G if most of the uni's is apply to's offer is AAB, should I apply to an insurance uni with requirements of ABB or BBB etc
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Well my teachers say the same, but being my pessimistic self, I'm likely going to apply to either 2 or 3 realistics and the rest insurance. The insurances I'm looking at are mainly ones that ask for UCAS points rather than grades, like Northumbria, UCLan and Northampton.

I'd personally go for 2 insurances if I were you - using your example, if most unis want AAB, go for one ABB and one BBB for the insurances. But as I say, I'm really pessimistic like that.
It doesn't just depend on your grades. If you have tonnes of work experience and an excellent PS and reference, it's possible to get into a course with an entry grade higher than you're predicted (unless it's something oober competitive like medicine).

So I'm going to apply to one that might be a grade or so higher than might be possible, considering my ECs and work experience. One or two that have the grades I'm predicted. And a couple of safe options! I'll probably get a couple of Bs (maybe) and a couple of Cs, although I'm doing 3 years of sixth form so circumstances have meant I'll end up with 4 A2s, but one of them will be completed the year before the other three, so I dunno how they'll give me an offer. But one course is something like 260 points, including a C in biology, which will probably be my very safe option. And then if i get more than 2 offers, i'll decide if I need an insurance that safe.
Original post by charliemac41
I'm currently looking at uni's, going to open days etc and am contemplating how to choose a backup. Firstly I was told by my school to choose 1 ambitious uni, 3 realistic and 1 backup. Do you think this is sensible? Also when applying to uni's what do you think the gap should be between the offer you accept as a firm and your insurance. E.G if most of the uni's is apply to's offer is AAB, should I apply to an insurance uni with requirements of ABB or BBB etc
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

It's not unsensible. I usually say an ambitious, 2 realistic and 2 insurances, but it's only a rough guide and depends on how happy you are with risk - I've known people go for more ambitious and more insurances. :dontknow: I would say have at least one.

That depends on how confident you are, and also where you think any mistakes will be made. Anything could happen - you could have a series of really bad days, get awful grades and miss anywhere you applied for - but being honest with yourself, how sure are you of getting your grades? Are you relying on a lot of luck and therefore they're likely to drop a lot if Lady Luck isn't on your side, or are you confident? Do you think one subjects is more likely to drop than another?

Consider: say you took three subjects, X, Y and Z. One offer was for grades AAB, with an A in X. Another offer is for grades AAB, with an A in Y. You're quite confident about getting AAB overall and an A in Y, but not so much about X - that might drop to a B. The second offer is potentially a sensible insurance, because it would allow you to drop a grade in subject X.

Original post by Clare~Bear
It doesn't just depend on your grades. If you have tonnes of work experience and an excellent PS and reference, it's possible to get into a course with an entry grade higher than you're predicted (unless it's something oober competitive like medicine).

That is fine, but you should consider it your ambitious choice rather than an insurance, because they're likely to still make the same offer as they would to all other applicants.
OP also about picking your insurance; it depends how likely you are to get your predicted grades. So if you're predicted AAA then people usually have AAB-BBB as their insurance. But unis dont always give out the grades on their website, so it depends m what offers you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending