The Student Room Group

If you don't get the grades they asked for, do you automatically go into clearing?

So if I miss one grade from the conditional offer do I go into clearing? The uni I'm interested in Westminster and when they send the "Thank you for accepting bla bla" they wrote something like "even if you don't meet our offer we will do everything we can to take you in". So if I miss my grades do I just email them and beg them to still take me? I'm about 90% sure that the course is not going to be full so they could still take me, right?
Original post by Alina2793
So if I miss one grade from the conditional offer do I go into clearing? The uni I'm interested in Westminster and when they send the "Thank you for accepting bla bla" they wrote something like "even if you don't meet our offer we will do everything we can to take you in". So if I miss my grades do I just email them and beg them to still take me? I'm about 90% sure that the course is not going to be full so they could still take me, right?

The university receives your exam results the Sunday before results day, so they have time to consider whether or not to accept the people that have missed. They then inform UCAS of their decision who, all being well, will update Track on Thursday (in reality, a lot are updated late because of miscommunication or problems at UCAS, so you may need to phone up the university to ask.)

So no, you don't automatically enter Clearing, but whatever Track is showing is a carefully considered decision, not just an automatic response. If you are in Clearing, it's wasting time to phone the original university up unless you have new information to give them - get started on viable Clearing choices first, then maybe phone later if you really have to try.

Whether or not the course is full is not the only criteria for being accepted anyway, but it is a good start. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
The university receives your exam results the Sunday before results day, so they have time to consider whether or not to accept the people that have missed.

I'm European so I get my results earlier, July 8th and I'll have to send them a copy of my diploma first. Does this mean I have to wait until results day or will they tell me before?
Original post by Alina2793
I'm European so I get my results earlier, July 8th and I'll have to send them a copy of my diploma first. Does this mean I have to wait until results day or will they tell me before?

They may be able to tell you beforehand, but it's likely that you'll have to wait until August 16th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending