Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Left rib sticks out more than right

Announcements Posted on

When I lie down both my ribs stick out but my left rib sticks out quite a lot more than the right. Is this something abnormal? I thought maybe it was because the heart is on the left side so that rib sticks out more to accommodate for it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It is not due to the heart. I have similar problem and the reason was that I would slouch a lot when I was younger Does it cause you any discomfort?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    The very top of my ribs (just below my collar bones - the very top 2 or 3 ribs) are like that, except it's my right side that stick out more than my left. It's just one of those things - the GP said (yes my mother was that freaked out that she took me to the GP at the time when she noticed it) said it was perfectly normal. We're not symmetrical after all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how old you are? Do you have any prominent shoulder blades (maybe one more than the other)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine are like that too why I lie down and pull my stomach in. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine do this too! It's pretty normal I should think and nothing to worry about unless it causes you discomfort. If you're really worried about it you could get it checked out, but unless you're just more curious than anything I think it's just one of those things!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    my ribs are a mess after injuring them a while back. I wouldn;t worry too much what they look like as long as they don't cause you any discomfort.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly normal, a normal anatomical variant, and is sometimes referred to as a "flared rib". Can be a hereditary thing, I've got one raised one on the left, as has my brother and my dad. Nobody's perfectly symmetrical and so long as it doesn't cause you any discomfort or difficulty, there's no need to worry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have this tooo! I only notice if I breathe in but on sticks out a lot more than the other and they're different shapes.

The left sticks out more and has more of an arc than the right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my left rib is the same.. you will realy notice it when you are so slim ****.. but i think that problem lazy ppl get it or got it at the young age when they were just on a **** bed and watching movie 24/7.. like my ****ing childhood i ****ing hate it. a looser child as **** i

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.