Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I do a 'year 14', will my ambition of a career in Dentistry shatter?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think I screwed up my A-level exams this week and I'm 99% certain that I will not even be close to meeting my offer for BDS Denistry, in August; when my results come out.

I have no health issues and there's no real reason for my slacking this year, just laziness and naivety.

So I'll have to resit my A2 Chemistry exams next January (independent study, I don't think I need a teacher to guide me).

Since Dentistry is so very competitive, and since I'm resiting exams after A2 which is considered a 'year 14', do you think I will even have a chance of getting accepted if I get the necessary grades?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, although i'm still doing my gcse's (i messed up too), i want to be a dentist when i'm older. i checked a few uni's (in london) and most of them do not accept resits unless under extreme circumstances. but i'm sure you have done ok! i might be wrong though but you need to check the entry requirements for different universities. it is all written on there x

edit : check this link. it's very useful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_Requirements
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what I hate about the UCAS application system. Uni's should atleast wait until the final A level grades are given out and then give out offers.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_man)
    I think I screwed up my A-level exams this week and I'm 99% certain that I will not even be close to meeting my offer for BDS Denistry, in August; when my results come out.

I have no health issues and there's no real reason for my slacking this year, just laziness and naivety.

So I'll have to resit my A2 Chemistry exams next January (independent study, I don't think I need a teacher to guide me).

Since Dentistry is so very competitive, and since I'm resiting exams after A2 which is considered a 'year 14', do you think I will even have a chance of getting accepted if I get the necessary grades?
    Your chances of getting in will be much more reduced. It would be best to contact all the universities you are thinking about applying to, if you have to resit. Failing that there is always post grad. But you never know you may be pleasantly surprised in August.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.