The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
Was is |x|<4? Because that's what I put but a few have been saying otherwise haha oh well, it was 1 mark. I never really got them either! That's why if that isn't the answer, I haven't a clue how to get to the answer haha.
Oh I made a silly mistake with the px^2(4-x^2)...on the last line (for some STUPID reason) instead of writing 9/4, I multiplied 9 by 4 and wrote 36 (*facepalm*).
I know that vector question my heart was pounding! I hate vectors, so so much. And then with all the fractions I really thought it was wrong xD

I knew it was Warwick! Woooo! Hahaha my memory isn't so bad after all :tongue: What grades do you need?
That's okay :tongue: UCL for Civil Engineering, need A*AA (ouch :frown:)

I don't know, I just never really got them :s-smilie: :L and I made that silly mistake too! For some reason I just left it as 9x^2(4-x^2) not sure how many marks I would lose :s-smilie: :L

I was so pleased I understood vectors! I never really got it until a couple of days ago, and I am so glad that I nice vectors question came up! xD and lol I need AAB in Maths and Chemistry, and ouch :s-smilie: what do you think you will get at the moment? and how many more exams do you have? :smile:
Question 3.

a) (1+4x)121+2x2x2(1+4x)^{\dfrac{1}{2}} \approx 1 + 2x - 2x^2

bi)
Unparseable latex formula:

(4-x)^{\dfrac{-1}{2}} = \dfrac{1}{2} (1-\dfrac{x}{4})^{\dfrac{-1}{2}}[br]\[br]\approx \dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{x}{16} + \dfrac{3x^2}{256}

bii) x4<1x<4|\dfrac{x}{4}| < 1 \Rightarrow |x|<4

c) 12+17x16221x2256\dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{17x}{16} - \dfrac{221x^2}{256}
Reply 842
For the range/limits question in bionomial question, was it something like -4<x<4
Original post by f1mad
I firmed for Warwick; computer-science :tongue:.

Oh cool! What do you need? and have you applied for accommodation yet? :smile:
Reply 844
love that i messed up on the first question!!

i only got half of b as i didnt divide my -5 by 2x+1 haha oops!
Reply 845
Original post by greenfro
love that i messed up on the first question!!

i only got half of b as i didnt divide my -5 by 2x+1 haha oops!

CRAP. Ah jesus christ, I've just realised this. My M2 resit needs to go REALLY well now. :frown: Need a B
Original post by Rotravis
Where does the 5/2 ln (2x+1) come from? Doesn't the bottom (2x+1) cancel out with the factor on the top, leaving you with 2x^2-x+3?

yes, you're right
Original post by Oromis263

bii) x4<1x<4|\dfrac{x}{4}| < 1 \Rightarrow |x|<4

Again, I'm pretty sure it's x<4. Your answer implies the range of x is -4 < x < 4, yet if you put a number lower than -4 in the function, it still works...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 848
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
yes, you're right

I think I forgot the -5 remainder. :frown:
Question 4.

ai) V=1000(103100)5V=£1160V = 1000(\dfrac{103}{100})^5 \Rightarrow V = £1160

aii) 2000=1000(103100)NN=24(rounded up to complete year)2000 = 1000(\dfrac{103}{100})^N \Rightarrow N = 24 (rounded\ up\ to\ complete\ year)

b)
Unparseable latex formula:

When V_B = V_W (Then\ round\ up.)[br]\[br](1.03)^T = 1.5(1.015)^T[br]\[br]T ln (1.03) = ln1.5(1.015)^T = ln1.5 + Tln(1.015) \Rightarrow T = 27.6,\ round\ up\ to\ 28\ years.

Reply 850
after looking through this paper again... maybe I didn't do as bad as I think I did. Still would like grade boundaries as low as last june :tongue: *PRAYS*
Original post by Cath-ay
after looking through this paper again... maybe I didn't do as bad as I think I did. Still would like grade boundaries as low as last june :tongue: *PRAYS*

Lets be honest, you got AT LEAST 99UMS :wink:

Reply 852
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Oh cool! What do you need? and have you applied for accommodation yet? :smile:

Not yet, got one more exam to go then I will :tongue:.

How about you?
I don't know, I just never really got them :s-smilie: :L and I made that silly mistake too! For some reason I just left it as 9x^2(4-x^2) not sure how many marks I would lose :s-smilie: :L

I was so pleased I understood vectors! I never really got it until a couple of days ago, and I am so glad that I nice vectors question came up! xD and lol I need AAB in Maths and Chemistry, and ouch :s-smilie: what do you think you will get at the moment? and how many more exams do you have? :smile:

Ah look at us making silly mistakes :frown: sad times. I'm hoping it's no more than 1 or 2 marks (it was out of 6/7 marks I think, and that mistake was made on the very last line). Haha yeah I'm so so glad it was a nice vector question! Vectors were definitely my biggest worry.

What other subjects do you do?
Hmm, worst case, AAB, best case A*A*A ... other than that, I really can't tell :frown:
How about you? :smile:

I only have M2 left! :biggrin: you?
I know it's probably already been done, but anyone like to guess grade boundaries? Here's mine -

A* 59
A 52
B 46
C 41
D 36
E 31
Reply 855
Original post by ReTurd
That was worth 3 marks for some reason..
All i did was write that as the answer and no working or anything, would i get all 3 marks?

You would. There was nothing else to add really.
Original post by f1mad
Not yet, got one more exam to go then I will :tongue:.

How about you?

Oh cool, which exam? I've still got 4 :frown: and yeah I did mine a while back, put (in preference order) Arthur Vick, Sherbourne, Bluebell, Rootes and Whitefields (???)
Reply 857
Oh cool, which exam? I've still got 4 :frown: and yeah I did mine a while back, put (in preference order) Arthur Vick, Sherbourne, Bluebell, Rootes and Whitefields (???)

D2 :tongue:.

Good luck!

Sounds good :smile:.
Reply 858
Original post by Dangerous Theory
Lets be honest, you got AT LEAST 99UMS :wink:

xD I wish! I'll be happy with an A after that ruckus of an exam ^_^
I'm sure you've pwned that paper though :smile:
Original post by Cath-ay

What were the grade boundaries last June?

Quick Reply