The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 3 Answers June 2012

1. x<43x<\frac{4}{3} and x>6x>6 (5 marks)

2. (i) Show 261 (3 marks)

(ii) 361 (3 marks)

3. (i) Show tan theta = 6 (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 57\frac{5}{7} (2 marks)

(b) 1235-\frac{12}{35} (2 marks)

4. (a) Show integral = 24 (4 marks)

(b) e2+8e12\frac{e^2+8e-1}{2} (4 marks)

5. (i) Show one real root (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 3 and 4 (3 marks)

(b) 3.24 (4 marks)

6. (i) 12.17 (4 marks)

(ii) 0.183 cubic metres per hour (3 marks)

7. a = 4 and x = -0.5 (7 marks)

8. (i) 5sin(θ+53.1301)5 \sin (\theta + 53.1301) (3 marks)

(ii) (a) -64.7 degs and 138 degs (4 marks)

(b) k = 8 and c = 3 (4 marks)

9. (i) Show derivative (3 marks)

(ii) π(3e4+1)2\frac{\pi (3e^4 + 1)}{2} (6 marks)

(iii) π(e41)2\frac{\pi (e^4 -1)}{2} (2 marks)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thanks again!
Reply 2
Reply 3
Mr M, for question 9(ii) for some reason I differentiated ln(2y) instead of integrating (I was trying to integrate but I was just being retarded), and got my answer from there. Will I get a mark?

EDIT: Btw thanks a lot for the solutions! :smile:
Reply 4
Mr M 4(b) I accidently messed up when multiplying out the brackets but integrated the terms are everything fine - how many marks would I get for that? :smile:

hope the after school meeting was...fun? :tongue:
Reply 5
Oh and would it be okay for 4(b) to give my answer as e(0.5e+4)-0.5? Thanks
Original post by tahseen1995
Mr M, for question 9(ii) for some reason I differentiated ln(2y) instead of integrating (I was trying to integrate but I was just being retarded), and got my answer from there. Will I get a mark?

I can't say from what you have told me - it doesn't sound hopeful!
Reply 7
How many marks would I drop if I put 4/3 < x < 6 for q1
, and for using g^1(x) instead of g(x) for the second part of 7?
Oh and would it be okay for 4(b) to give my answer as e(0.5e+4)-0.5? Thanks

yes
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M

Mr. M, for 9ii) (the 6 mark question), I did everything correctly up till the point where we had to calculate the lower bound. For some reason, because i'm a dog I differentiated rather than just plugging x=0 into f(x), hence I integrated with lower bound 1, instead of lower bound 1/2. All the steps in the integration were correct, but my final answer would be wrong since the lower limit I subbed in was wrong. How many marks would I lose in your opinion?
Original post by Doctor.
Mr M 4(b) I accidently messed up when multiplying out the brackets but integrated the terms are everything fine - how many marks would I get for that? :smile:

It was mercifully brief. I did maths and pretended to listen.

probably 2 marks
I can't remember what I put for 4b, can anyone remember the question? Thanks.
Original post by Tukazoar
How many marks would I drop if I put 4/3 < x < 6 for q1
, and for using g^1(x) instead of g(x) for the second part of 7?

drop 1 mark and drop 3 marks probably
Original post by Mr M
I can't say from what you have told me - it doesn't sound hopeful!

What I meant is I correctly rearranged the equation to get pi times the integral of y=ln(2x) with limits of 1/2e^(4) and 1/2, but instead of using part (i) of question 9 to find the integral of ln(2x) I integrated ln(2x) to 1/x (I panicked due to lack of time) and went from there.

I was wondering if would at least get a mark for correctly rearranging the equation and realising the the area of the shaded region rotated about the y axis would be the integral of ln(2x) within limits of 1/2e^(4) and 1/2 multiplied by pi.

...did I make sense?

lol thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm off home now but will answer some more questions later (in about one hour).
Original post by Doctor.

Is this your actual teacher? Seems a bit weird :smile: but I suppose it's a good idea too.
for 4b i put e^x2 and not 2x. hw much wud i lose and for the last i intergraded put the the y values. ie e^4 one in but got soma dfferent. like 2pi e^4. i also integrated the line and wrkd that out?
Reply 17
Original post by Junaid96
Is this your actual teacher? Seems a bit weird :smile: but I suppose it's a good idea too.

Maybe :ninja:

Just kidding, nope but I do casually stalk Mr M :colonhash: (Only on TSR lol) would be so weird if someone did that in real life :lol:
Reply 18
How many marks would I lose for getting

k = 3/5
c = 40

Because I read the question as 37 not MINUS 37!
Original post by Mr M

Thanks. Just two questions.

On question 9iii) if I used my answer from question 9ii) to calculate the volume (but followed the correct method) would I get any of the 2 marks?

Also, on question 9ii) I got an incorrect answer as when I substituted in the limits I rewrote ln(e^4) as e^4 instead of 4. However, I applied the limits correctly to the other variables. (And applied the correct method throughout) How many marks out of the 6 is this likely to have costed me?

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply