Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would anyone recommend taking A Level Textiles or A Level Graphic Design?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to go to sixth form and choose my A Levels, but i'm undecided and need help on whether i should take Textiles or Graphic Design?

I'm not hoping to have a career with either of these subjects, but i took both for GCSE and got A* in Graphic Design and a predicted A* for Textiles.

Need to know if there are any good/bad points about either and which one is worth taking? Thanks for the help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what exam board you will be on. I do AQA A Level Textiles and I finished my last exam today - HELL!

Textiles was not what I was expecting, I'll put it that way. I did nothing for my GCSE Textiles and came out with a A, so I decided to take it. A Level Textiles consists of a Science section, talking about molecules in materials, linear structures of fibres and oxidisation for dyeing. There's then an ICT/Manufacturing section, talking about tons of different systems used to plan, make and distribute. Then there is a designer and history section. Just because they are in sections, doesn't mean something from all of them come up. I got the highest in the class last year for a D in the exam. I worked so hard this year for my next one and nearly cried when I got out today. Bye bye University! The coursework is fun but sooo much work, takes 80% of your time.

Then again this is just my opinion and I don't know what Graphic Design is like, so I can't compare. But based on my experience, big no no!

Be prepared, it's a lot of work, a lot of info and very broad!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what you want to take at university?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 15, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.