The Student Room Group

The most romantic thing?

Hey there! The most romantic thing I have ever done must have been when I was in a relationship with a girl 7 hours away from me.
She was missing me so much since she hardly ever got to see me, so I sent her a hoodie of mine, so she could sleep with it and imagine it's me keeping her warm.
The next day she wanted to meet up, but I didn't have any money, so I walked all day, just to get to her house, and cooked her dinner, then looked after her while she fell asleep in my arms, in the hoodie.

What I want to know is:
What is the most romantic thing you have ever done?
And/Or
What is the most romantic thing anybody has ever done for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like this thread's intention was for you to show off how 'romantic' you are...
Reply 2
It sounds like something out of a film
Original post by LeaX
I feel like this thread's intention was for you to show off how 'romantic' you are...

Actually this thread's intention was so that I could get idea's for new ways to be romantic.
Many people have been romantic to me in many ways (and I have also tried to be romantic in my own ways)

- Cooking dinner: whether it is cooking something new, something weird or something me or the other person really loves (for me, any dessert with strawberries is a huge hit).
- An ex of mine and I would exchange this notebook every week or so in which we would just write things. He treated it more like diary of his thoughts and what he had done, whereas I used it more to fill it with little drawings and comics.
- Making cards. I love making cards (and receiving homemade cards)

And there is definitely more...
Original post by OriginalRecordings
Hey there! The most romantic thing I have ever done must have been when I was in a relationship with a girl 7 hours away from me.
She was missing me so much since she hardly ever got to see me, so I sent her a hoodie of mine, so she could sleep with it and imagine it's me keeping her warm.
The next day she wanted to meet up, but I didn't have any money, so I walked all day, just to get to her house, and cooked her dinner, then looked after her while she fell asleep in my arms, in the hoodie.

What I want to know is:
What is the most romantic thing you have ever done?
And/Or
What is the most romantic thing anybody has ever done for you?

I don't believe you did that at all.
You walked all day to get to her house?? Thats commitment haha very sweet!
I'd love my boyfriend to give me clothes to sleep in :smile: Your single now?? lol
Reply 7
Oh look, there's my pie and mash from earlier.
I honestly think this is the most romantic thing I have done . . .

My girlfriend wasn't really expecting me, she lived a good hour away. I broke into her house in the day and sat upstairs on the top floor for hours where I hid away and read a whole book on Japanese cuisine. She came home from work and none-the-wiser continued to spend a quiet evening indoors. By this point I think I had started on another book and eventually . . .

. . . in the midst of the night when she had gone to bed (about 2 o'clockish) I entered her room and just sat on the end of her bed. She tossed and turned for a bit but eventually awoke to see me just unnervily sitting there

It says a lot for my idea of romance but oddly enough it kind of worked . . .
Most romantic thing i've ever done? My ex drove her dads jag (this mans love for that car bordered on the erotic) into a wall while they were away on holiday and caused some pretty bad cosmetic damage, she was literally on the verge of a nervous breakdown so i spent a small fortune and called in favors from people i didn't even know to get it fixed by the time her parents got home.

What is the most romantic thing anybody has ever done for you? Bought me Halo ODST and let me play for 11 straight hours while she got drinks and snacks, gota say that was awesome.
Original post by o Rebecca o
I don't believe you did that at all.

Just because you might not have done that, doesn't mean I haven't. Either way I have, so get over it.

Original post by xXHolly_90Xx
You walked all day to get to her house?? Thats commitment haha very sweet!
I'd love my boyfriend to give me clothes to sleep in :smile: Your single now?? lol

I wanted her to be happy, so I tried my best. I am single now yeah, but obviously I still miss her.

Original post by Palatial Veranda

My girlfriend wasn't really expecting me, she lived a good hour away. I broke into her house in the day and sat upstairs on the top floor for hours where I hid away and read a whole book on Japanese cuisine. She came home from work and none-the-wiser continued to spend a quiet evening indoors. By this point I think I had started on another book and eventually . . .

. . . in the midst of the night when she had gone to bed (about 2 o'clockish) I entered her room and just sat on the end of her bed. She tossed and turned for a bit but eventually awoke to see me just unnervily sitting there

Well, it might have been kind of awkward, but yeah it's kind of romantic.

Original post by Darth Stewie
Most romantic thing i've ever done? My ex drove her dads jag (this mans love for that car bordered on the erotic) into a wall while they were away on holiday and caused some pretty bad cosmetic damage, she was literally on the verge of a nervous breakdown so i spent a small fortune and called in favors from people i didn't even know to get it fixed by the time her parents got home.

What is the most romantic thing anybody has ever done for you? Bought me Halo ODST and let me play for 11 straight hours while she got drinks and snacks, gota say that was awesome.

That's sweet of you to get the car fixed for her, and shows you definitely care about her and her family.
I'm surprised the one that bought you Halo didn't play it with you. :P
Original post by Darth Stewie

YOU! You're so lucky :/

You just sat for hours in a cupboard? Why not have something ready for her when she came home, like a lovely bubble bath or a homecooked meal (walking home to a home cooked japanese meal would be heaven for me! aha) ?

Just sitting there and waiting, sounds a bit creepy to me. Sitting on the end of the bed watching her sleep, without her knowing you're there is also creepy. Personally, if i woke up to find someone sitting on the end of my bed when they should not have even been in the house, i would freak. If that person was my boyfriend i would hit him as hard as if it had been a stranger.

I don't think this is romantic... sounds to me like you were a stalker-type who honestly believes you were being romantic.
Sorry for being mean, just sayin'
I was in a relationship with a girl 7 hours away from me.

I walked all day, just to get to her house

I don't really understand this. She was 7 hours away from you on foot? So only about 30 miles?

I'm scared of you.
Original post by elldeegee
You just sat for hours in a cupboard? Why not have something ready for her when she came home, like a lovely bubble bath or a homecooked meal (walking home to a home cooked japanese meal would be heaven for me! aha) ?

Just sitting there and waiting, sounds a bit creepy to me. Sitting on the end of the bed watching her sleep, without her knowing you're there is also creepy. Personally, if i woke up to find someone sitting on the end of my bed when they should not have even been in the house, i would freak. If that person was my boyfriend i would hit him as hard as if it had been a stranger.

I don't think this is romantic... sounds to me like you were a stalker-type who honestly believes you were being romantic.

Welcome to the internet. We hope you enjoy your stay. In case of emergency, the exits are here, here and here.
Original post by Chumbaniya
I don't really understand this. She was 7 hours away from you on foot? So only about 30 miles?

I don't know miles. Either way there was no buses and I had a bad foot, and I have no other transport.
I don't know miles. Either way there was no buses and I had a bad foot, and I have no other transport.

It's just misleading to call something '7 hours away' when that's actually by an unrealistic way of covering the distance. By the same logic I was living about 3 days from my previous girlfriend, but the journey actually took about 2 hours.

OK. Firstly it was not a cupboard. It was an unmade bed in a dark, unused spare room on the 3rd floor. Secondly, I cannot cook.

Just sitting there and waiting, sounds a bit creepy to me. Sitting on the end of the bed watching her sleep, without her knowing you're there is also creepy. Personally, if i woke up to find someone sitting on the end of my bed when they should not have even been in the house, i would freak. If that person was my boyfriend i would hit him as hard as if it had been a stranger

I accept that this sounds creepy to you and would also sound so to a large cross-section of society.

I don't interpret your response as a mean one. It is the type of response that I would expect from most socially accustomed and conventional people but I am weird. OK, I have a skewed idea of romance but my literal interpretation based on the definition would be something along the lines of 'achieving an emotional connection short of needing to fulfill any sexual desires'. I did mention in my original post that this goal was achieved. I spent a nice remainder of the night with her tucked up, I didn't pounce on her and rape her, I stopped short of this.

I am not a stalker because this isolated situation was borne out of my own circumstantial evaluation at that point in time. In no way was it an enduring theme throughout my relationship thus enforcing the idea of a stalker's obsessiveness. I wasn't sitting outside her house in a car with blackened windows each day surreptitiously taking photos of her bringing in the milk etc so you can rid your self of the stalker image if you like.

In summary, I understand why you may think my actions were odd but I am quite odd and they were fairly consistent with my character. My girlfriend obviously knew my character quite well and so was heedful of this when I was sitting on the end of her bed in the dark at 2 o'clock in the morning.

Original post by Chumbaniya
I'm scared of you.

Don't worry, although I cannot definitely rule this out, it is unlikely that I will be perched on your bed in the future.
Reply 18
We kissed on the beach in the Sunset once.
Reply 19
True romance requires sacrifice. It isn't glamorous. I've done very romantic things for the people I've dated but they're not exciting enough to post here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending