The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Geography B - Dynamic Planet 14th June 2012 (DISCUSSION)

How did you guys find it? i felt it was ok considering the difficulty of the jan 2012 paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought all the compulsory topics were OK, although the Coastal Conflict and Change 6 marker was a bit annoying. What optional topics did you do?
Reply 2
Original post by jwf13
I thought all the compulsory topics were OK, although the Coastal Conflict and Change 6 marker was a bit annoying. What optional topics did you do?

yes the hollistic management question was a bit annoying. Grade boundaries look like 41 for an a* and 38 for an A.
Reply 3
The 6 mark question was not nice for oceans on the edge either.it was even harder than the coastal change one in my opinion.
Reply 4
I'd definitely take 41 for an A*. They should have just said 'hard and soft' management schemes, because 'hollistic' wasn't even in the syllabus, apparently. Oh well, hopefully Unit 3 will be the same :smile:

I was alright with Extreme Environments, pretty straight-forward.
Reply 5
did you write about north norfolk for the hollistic management? what were u meant to say? I just explained what it was and gave examples!
Reply 6
Original post by Nikhil_m
did you write about north norfolk for the hollistic management? what were u meant to say? I just explained what it was and gave examples!

I did the north Norfolk coast but when i asked my teacher he said a case study didn't need to be used to gain the 6 marks.
Reply 7
Original post by NedSchool
I did the north Norfolk coast but when i asked my teacher he said a case study didn't need to be used to gain the 6 marks.

oh? I talked about sea walls and groynes being used at mundesley because they attract a lot of tourism. how else would u gain the marks?
Reply 8
I talked about Mappleton, North Yorkshire. I talked about sea walls, groynes, rip rap and beach nourishment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jwf13
I talked about Mappleton, North Yorkshire. I talked about sea walls, groynes, rip rap and beach nourishment. You'd gain marks by stating the defence, and then the benefit, I think.

So: Sea walls deflect the energy of the waves [1], which protects local businesses effectively and quickly [1].
I think to get full marks you had to talk about hard and soft defences.

damn didnt write that :/
Reply 10
damn didnt write that :/

What did you write about, 'cause that was just one example, you could have approached it a few ways :smile:
Reply 11
i wrote about swanage bay. A hollistic approach to coastal management is one which considers all the social and economic factors that affect a coastal area, aswell as the actual effects of the coastal erosion . thats what it says in my text book
Reply 12
guys here are some of the questions i remember, so this can help with your discussion:
not in the right topic order! CANT REMEMBER SOME OF THEM BTW

Restless Earth - State two ways how a volcanic eruption can endanger human life
describe how scientists can predict when a volcano is likely to erupt
Explain how people can prepare for earthquakes

Water world - Explain one way in which unreliable water supply can affect farmers
Describe how human activities can lead to poor water supplies
Using an example, explain one cost and one benefit of a large scale water management scheme

Battle of the Biosphere - (CANT REMEMBER FIRST ONE)
- Describe how damage is being done to a specific biome of your choice
Describe some methods which people may use to conserve the biosphere

Coasts - Choose a coastal feature in this picture and describe how it might change over time
- using examples explain the benefits of a hollistic approach (wide range) to coastal management

Extreme Climates - Describe two ways in which house a(arid region) or house b(polar region) are adapted
- state one way how people have tried to protect an extreme environment (ithinkthatwas it)
- Using an example, explain how life is changing for its people in a polar or desert region

Climate Change - describe two reasons why USA emits more carbon dioxide than the other country
-?
- explain how sunspot activity and orbital changes lead to
Reply 13
Holistic management,was we're they get all stakeholders together to do what is best for the coastline based on social and economic factors.The benefits are it gets lots of people together and gets the best outcome for the coast.It will save the coastline and will take into accounts of secondary impacts,such as groynes starving further down the beach of sediment.
Did anyone do oceans on the edge?
Reply 14
Oh, i didn't write anything about groynes and sea walls or anything :eek:
I wrote about holding the line, advancing the line, managed retreat and doing nothing

I wrote about how the first two would benefit the people in the area more, but the third one would still be slightly beneficial due to the people being reimbursed for their lost property etc. ,however, the last one would only be benefit the local government due to it saving money on defences and helping people relocate, but it wouldn't be good for the locals at all :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by jwf13
I talked about Mappleton, North Yorkshire. I talked about sea walls, groynes, rip rap and beach nourishment. You'd gain marks by stating the defence, and then the benefit, I think.

So: Sea walls deflect the energy of the waves [1], which protects local businesses effectively and quickly [1].
I think to get full marks you had to talk about hard and soft defences.

HOLISTIC MANAGEMENT - Holistic management is nothing to do with hard and soft enginerring techniques. You either had to talk about hold the line, advance the line and coastal retreat and why they let some parts of the coast erode away and other parts they protect :smile:
Reply 16
HOLISTIC MANAGEMENT - Holistic management is nothing to do with hard and soft enginerring techniques. You either had to talk about hold the line, advance the line and coastal retreat and why they let some parts of the coast erode away and other parts they protect :smile:

I was told wide ranging was hard and soft defences. If you talked both that was a wide ranging. I don't know which one was right, but that's what I've been told by my friend who asked her teacher. As I said, I think there are a variety of ways to go about the question- I may be wrong, of course. Did you have to use 'named examples' for this question?
Reply 17
HOLISTIC MANAGEMENT - x :

Original post by Miaowzilla
x:

x

I've just looked it up on the specification and I think I've gotten a bit confused. As it said wide ranging and I've never been taught anything about holistic management, me and my friends thought you just had to talk about hard and soft defences as this would be a wide range. Apparently holistic magaement is a whole different thing. Sorry about that! :redface: :smile:
Reply 18
anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme yet?
Did anybody answer the extreme climates question? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest