The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by ponymad*
Hey, hope you got your dissertation finished okay.

Thank you for the info. I've not firmed yet but I will look at that when I do. I had an email about the 4 year course too and they said they'd let us know end of April, but heard nothing yet. Have you firmed Liverpool yet?

I think I will get a house outside Liverpool so I'm near my horse, which would make it easier but its super stressful trying to find livery! I haven't even thought about halls or Uni accomm yet but think I will look into it to cover all my options. How about u?

x

I did thank you :smile:

I got an email the other day saying that I've been accepted onto the 4 year course, but I've firmed already so maybe thats why :s-smilie:

I really don't know what to do, not overly keen of living in student accomm but it seems like the easiest option, I went for Vine Court in the end as my first choice, its a little expensive, but really nice!

its all stating to feel a little real...and scary! haha
Reply 441
Original post by stacey27
I did thank you :smile:

I got an email the other day saying that I've been accepted onto the 4 year course, but I've firmed already so maybe thats why :s-smilie:

I really don't know what to do, not overly keen of living in student accomm but it seems like the easiest option, I went for Vine Court in the end as my first choice, its a little expensive, but really nice!

its all stating to feel a little real...and scary! haha

Scary YES!!! I agree lol. I'm just making my final decisions atm. Congrats on the fast track. I didn't have the right modules apparantly :frown: I'm really gutted and feel like the only grad going to Liverpool that will have to do the 5 year course.

Vine Court seems nice, lots of people say it is. You definately want to be somewhere nice for 5 years lol.
Reply 442
Hey

Is anyone going to Liverpool as a grad but doing the 5 year course? I feel like the only person :frown:
Reply 443
Original post by ponymad*
Hey

Is anyone going to Liverpool as a grad but doing the 5 year course? I feel like the only person :frown:

i'm not going to liverpool but i will (grades permitting) be doing the five year course at RVC as a graduate. look on the bright side - at least we won't have the extra stress of trying to complete the first two years in just one year! :wink:
There are at least 10-15 of us grads doing the 5 year course at RVC :smile: and I honestly feel like we have enough work as it is hehe!!
Reply 445
Is anybody else having massive problems applying for a loan!? I knew I would have to fight my corner to prove I am entitled to maintenance, but this is getting ridiculous.

Phone call number 1 (pre-application):
Was told I wasn't entitled to anything. After 15 minutes debating this fact, I was put through to another person. This second person told me I was entitles to everything (including fees)... which I know is incorrect. I asked if she was sure, and I was put through to another person. Third person told me the correct information. I asked for a paper copy of the loan application to be sent to me but I was told I could still apply for the loan online.

Phone call number 2 (immediately after loan application):
After my application, the online version told me I wasn't entitled to anything (shock). I rang up, and was told I wasn't entitled to anything. Again, I debated this fact and was put through to someone else, who told me I AM entitled to it, but I'll have to wait a few weeks... even though it says '£0', it will be manually sorted and the loan amount will be amended.

Several weeks later, I get another letter saying I am entitled to zero. So begins phone call number 3.

Phone call number 3:
The same as before, I'm told I'm entitled to nothing before being put through to somebody else. Second person tells me I need to fill in a paper copy and sends me one in the post.

I fill this in. A few weeks later, I get a letter in the post saying EXACTLY the same thing, that I'm entitled to nothing.

Before I make an angry fourth phone call, any tips!?

Original post by Erin01

I fill this in. A few weeks later, I get a letter in the post saying EXACTLY the same thing, that I'm entitled to nothing.

Before I make an angry fourth phone call, any tips!?

Oh god they are SO useless!!!! Doesn't necessarily get any better once you're here either, a couple of people have been told they're entitled to nothing for next year despite having got their maintenance loan this year.

When I sent my paper copy off I quoted them this (and also sent them a letter from the RVC confirming that the Veterinary medicine leads to a qualification as a Veterinary Surgeon):

'Medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, social work, courses which attract an NHS bursary and Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses
The Student Support Regulations make an exception for students taking courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, social work and undergraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT). Students will continue to be eligible for loans for living costs, even if they already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification. Please note that medicine, dentistry and veterinary science courses may be listed as level 7 on the QAA framework. The Framework does not form part of the Student Support Regulations and for the purpose of providing student support such qualifications should be treated as equivalent to an Honours degree. Therefore, students who already hold an Honours degree or the equivalent qualification and are studying these courses as a second undergraduate degree, will not be eligible for any further fee support or maintenance grant.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/1555/regulation/67/made

Qualifying conditions for the loan for living costs current system students

67.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) to (5), a current system student qualifies for a loan for living costs in connection with the student’s attendance on a designated course if the student is under the age of 60 on the relevant date and—

(a)where the student begins the course on or after 1st September 2009, the designated course does not lead to an equivalent or lower qualification unless the student’s status as an eligible student has been transferred to the current course pursuant to regulation 8 from a designated course which began before 1st September 2009 and the student does not have an honours degree from an institution in the United Kingdom; or

(b)where the student began the course before 1st September 2009, the student does not have an honours degree from an institution in the United Kingdom.

(2) The condition in paragraph (1)(a) or (b) does not apply where—

(a)the designated course leads to qualification as a social worker, medical doctor, dentist, veterinary surgeon or architect;'

Maybe when you speak to them explain how many times you've been through this so far, they were pretty sympathetic to me when I explained that it was the 3rd time I'd been phoning up to deal with a pretty simple problem when I spoke to them a week ago! Offer to send them a hardcopy of a letter from the uni you're going to explaining that you're degree leads to a Veterinary qualification that will qualify you as a veterinary surgeon too.

I know they're a massive pain in the **** but keep on trying. You're definitely entitled to it so don't panic. Good luck!! xx
Original post by Erin01
Is anybody else having massive problems applying for a loan!? I knew I would have to fight my corner to prove I am entitled to maintenance, but this is getting ridiculous.

:smile:

That sounds so ridiculous. YOu would think people that worked at the student loans company would know how student loans work... Its not like its even a rare thing? Surely there are 100 or so grad vets plus loads of grad doctors/nurses/dentists that apply for the same thing every year?

Oh well. I applied via paper copy straight away, didnt bother with online, and got a loan without any hassle. However I did get sent a 'special fraud investigations letter' as I was 'randomly' selected for additional screening lol. Had to approve my address or something. Have not heard back yet so hopefully all is ok.

This may seem like a silly question but there is nothing else stopping it is there? e.g. parents earning too much, living at a new address and therefore new local council etc. I cant see how they can process some fine and then others completely differently.

Stef, do they really give a lot of grief in following years too? I am soooo not looking forward to that!
Original post by Phoenix_147
However I did get sent a 'special fraud investigations letter' as I was 'randomly' selected for additional screening lol. Had to approve my address or something. Have not heard back yet so hopefully all is ok.

lol

Original post by Phoenix_147
Stef, do they really give a lot of grief in following years too? I am soooo not looking forward to that!

I have been really lucky and apart from my original phone call to student finance for original funding last year have always got it through first time and am all sorted for next year (but admittedly did have my payments blocked and had to wait an extra month for my april installment as they sent my declaration form for next year to the wrong address and it got returned then had to go through a ridiculously badly managed unblocking process - though I checked and the one I had entered online is correct so god knows how that happened...)

BUT a couple of my friends have been told again that they are entitled to nothing next year. It's just a case of repeatedly phoning now though. A massive pain btu like I say, we're definitely entitled to it and at least we are getting some money :s-smilie:
Hiya everyone, I wondered if any of you who were successful with your graduate application would be kind enough to let me have a look at your personal statement. I'm currently a zoology student and will be applying for vet med this coming October and, whilst I'm familiar with writing a vet med personal statement (unfortunately this won't be my first!), I would love to see what spin people put on it as graduates. Thanks x
Reply 451
Original post by stef_vet?

Thanks for your reply! I managed to get through to someone who knew what they were talking about and (fingers crossed) it's sorted now. I had the legislation in front of me, poised to quote my entitlements if I needed to!

I can safely say the student finance "hold" music is permanently etched into my brain now. Can't wait to deal with this for the next five years too! :biggrin:
Original post by Erin01
Thanks for your reply! I managed to get through to someone who knew what they were talking about and (fingers crossed) it's sorted now. I had the legislation in front of me, poised to quote my entitlements if I needed to!

I can safely say the student finance "hold" music is permanently etched into my brain now. Can't wait to deal with this for the next five years too! :biggrin:

no problem and woooo well done! I reckon they can hear the certainty in our voices once we're armed with legislation! But god yes that music is AWFUL. I think it's Virgin media that you can choose what you want to listen to from a selection of different genres of music - pretty cool but kinda implies that they put you on hold a fair bit...
Reply 453
Hi guys, it's nice to see other graduate applicants for vet med. I am three days away from having my results for a BA in Anthropology (hoping for a 2:1). However, over the last term I have really been debating why I have not followed my true vocation and passion for medicine and animals. The issue for myself, as I'm sure others have experienced, is that after three years of a degree (some of which is certainly scientific), I am rusty on chemistry, biology and so on. For my A-levels a few years back now, I managed an A in Chemistry at AS and an A in Biology A-level. Meanwhile, for my other A-levels I managed A grades in Religious Studies, Psychology, History, English literature.

Given the fact I do not have an A-level in Chemistry (never did maths or physics), will this seriously hinder me? I have seen that Nottingham offer a preliminary year for graduates who have achieved a 2:1 and have an A-level in either biology or chemistry, is this a viable option? Can anyone recommend any other opportunities for an application to other institutions offering a foundation/prelim year? I'm concerned that if I was to apply for a straight 5 year Vet med course I would be far more likely to be rejected given my lack of A-level chemistry, Maths or Physics!

At the moment I am considering applying this year for entry in September/October 2012 as I presume this is when courses start as mine did back in 2009 (makes me feel old). Would I have to go through UCAS again and would that mean contacting my previous school, or am I able to do it individually?

Thanks for your time and apologies for the long message!

Harry
1) It's likely that the exam board which you took your AS chemisty with has now changed syllabus so unfortunately if you retake chemistry to get the full A Level then you may have to take the AS too

2) This is an option for grads and if Cocovet is lurking on here still she is on the Notts prelim course and I'm sure will answer questions for you but

3) Nottingham do not take very many graduates AT ALL whether they have the correct A Levels, scientific degree, whatever for one reason or another

4) For entry into the other vet schools, non-prelim year you will need As in Chemistry and Biology at AS as Anthropology is not generally deemed to be scientific enough to make up for this deficit - yes it is scientific but not in the biochem way which would allow you to catch up with A Level leavers for the vet med course

5) If you retake chem and get an A at A Level you will then need to obtain a decent amount of veterinary and animal husbandry experience - in farms, stables, kennels, etc etc etc to e considered for vet schools

6) BUT doing a second degree as a grad a) means you get no tuition fee loan and b) unis can charge whatever they want and do....all UK vet schools except RVC, Nottingham and Cambridge charge international fees to their graduate students (between £18k and £23k per year). RVC, Notts and Cambs charge £9000 a year (+ cambridge add college fees which I believe are around £6000 per year

If the above hasn't put you off then you definitely have the commitment to do it. I would strongly suggest looking into work experience and chemistry A Levels asap and contacting the universities that you would be interested in applying to explaining your situation to double check if you would need to take your chemistry A Level - although I'm pretty sure you will need to.

There are PLENTY of grads on here (including myself) who did an unrelated degree then took up A Levels/re-sat some modules to get the required grades and have now been offered a place at vet school. It really isn't an easy route and you will need to find a way of financing yourself through it but when there's a will there's definitely a way. I'm about to take my first year exams and am STILL so glad that I went through it all to get in. Cheesey as it sounds I know I would have always regretted it if I hadn't at least tried :smile:

Any more questions please post!
Reply 455
There's no issue on the financing side! All I wanted to know was what my chances were with an A-level in biology and AS in Chemistry! My passion very much relies in medicine and I simply don't know where to move forwards from here! The financial side is not an issue, all I care about is getting into doing Vet Med, and fulfilling my ambition.

EDIT: sorry, just saw you're post concerning the 'commitment'. To be honest, I have no issue with retaking a A-level chemistry if necessary, but what about the syllabus chance since my AS chemistry? Would this mean I effectively have to take an entire new A-level in chemistry? Surely the whole point of the foundation course at universities such as Nottingham is to mitigate such circumstances? Also, I presume it is too late to apply this academic year? So by the sounds of it I apparently need to rest an entire chemistry A-leve despite having had an A in AS level chemistry to even being accepted onto a foundation Nottingham course?

Regards,

Harry
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 456
Original post by haj1989
There's no issue on the financing side! All I wanted to know was what my chances were with an A-level in biology and AS in Chemistry! My passion very much relies in medicine and I simply don't know where to move forwards from here! The financial side is not an issue, all I care about is getting into doing Vet Med, and fulfilling my ambition.

EDIT: sorry, just saw you're post concerning the 'commitment'. To be honest, I have no issue with retaking a A-level chemistry if necessary, but what about the syllabus chance since my AS chemistry? Would this mean I effectively have to take an entire new A-level in chemistry? Surely the whole point of the foundation course at universities such as Nottingham is to mitigate such circumstances? Also, I presume it is too late to apply this academic year? So by the sounds of it I apparently need to rest an entire chemistry A-leve despite having had an A in AS level chemistry to even being accepted onto a foundation Nottingham course?

Regards,

Harry

stef always gives very good advice, but i will contradict her just this once... you wouldn't necessarily have to retake the whole A-level if you didn't want to. it is possible to 'cash-in' your AS-level and just do the A2 year. i'm not sure how it works exactly, but i know people at my college who did the AS with a different exam board.

i found this out after retaking the whole of biology A-level :rolleyes: on the plus side, it was nice to have a refresher having not studied it for a few years!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by schizopear
stef always gives very good advice, but i will contradict her just this once... you wouldn't necessarily have to retake the whole A-level if you didn't want to. it is possible to 'cash-in' your AS-level and just do the A2 year. i'm not sure how it works exactly, but i know people at my college who did the AS with a different exam board.

i found this out after retaking the whole of biology A-level :rolleyes: on the plus side, it was nice to have a refresher having not studied it for a few years!

apologies, this is much better advice!! :colondollar:
Original post by haj1989

Regards,

Harry

This is from Nottingham's website for the D104 6 year course:

'Required subjects: any subjects at A2 and AS level (to include, at most, only one of biology and chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking); biology and chemistry cannot both be taken at AS level; minimum five grade As at GCSE, minimum of grade B in chemistry (or double science), maths and English language '

As you actually have an A Level in chemistry then unfortunately you won't be able to apply for this course and they don't consider graduates for the gateway course. So yes it does seem like you will have to get the chemistry although I will reiterate what I said in my first post and recommend that you contact the universities that you want to apply to individually to see if you antropology degree can be substitued for taking the A2 chemistry. As Schizopear has also said, you may be able to 'cash in' your AS with another exam board and just take the A2 exams.

Veterinary medicine applications are made via UCAS and the deadline is usually around 14th October. Yes you will have to go through this process again and no the earliest you will be able to apply is for September 2013 entry
Reply 459
Original post by schizopear

Ah, thanks for letting me know, that's a small relief at least. So even if the AS I did in chemistry was 3 years ago, I should (after refreshing my knowledge on the subject over the course of the summer), be able to sit it next year? My back up plan is to do an MA in Medical Anthropology which my department here are keen for me to do, so that gives me a year of doing something productive. In that year I'll also do some quality work experience and sort out my chemistry A-level before applying. When you say 'cash in', do you also mean that, say if I got 270/300 at AS, that individual mark will still count towards my overall /600 total, or not?

THanks for all the help!

EDIT: If that is the case, then presumably one could either do Edexcel or OCR chemistry based on which offered all coursework and exams, but no practicals (as obviously if I had to do a practical exam it would be hard to arrange for such). I would say OCR will have more material that I will remember though.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/science/chemistry_a/
If you click in specification and scroll down, it discusses the three A2 modules, one of which is 'practical skills in chemistry 2'. IS this possible to do without needing lab equipment? It does say coursework, and so I am presuming this is not a timed practical, however this could create issues, and so perhaps I should look at AQA and Edexcel also to see if they offer A2 exams but without the practical exam?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending