The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Lit A Jan 2012?

Does anyone know where I can get the past paper for Jan 2012 AQA A2 English Lit A Reading for meaning? Quite urgently want it, but have so far been unsuccessful in trying to find it :frown:
Any help would be appreciated!
I dint think the papers are release until a year after they are sat.

Though I sat the exam and can tell you what came up if that's what you're wanting
Reply 2
Original post by retrodisco666
I dint think the papers are release until a year after they are sat.

Though I sat the exam and can tell you what came up if that's what you're wanting

Thanks! But tbh kind of want the paper just so I can do another practice essay :smile: How did you find it?
Original post by studentccs
Thanks! But tbh kind of want the paper just so I can do another practice essay :smile: How did you find it?

It wasn't too bad. I was 1 Mark off a B but would of got higher but I can't do metaphysical poetry and John donne came up :L the other extracts were good though
Reply 4
It wasn't too bad. I was 1 Mark off a B but would of got higher but I can't do metaphysical poetry and John donne came up :L the other extracts were good though

Ah that's really good :smile: Was it poetry/poetry for the first question? I have got a really bad feeling I'm going to get drama/drama as they haven't done that one yet :s-smilie: What were the other extracts?
Ah that's really good :smile: Was it poetry/poetry for the first question? I have got a really bad feeling I'm going to get drama/drama as they haven't done that one yet :s-smilie: What were the other extracts?

It was Donne and Elizabeth Jennings for Section A and B was Troilus and Cressida and Hardy's The Woodlanders. (If I'm remember it correctly! I marked Section B as our mock, but didn't do A. The Jennings poem was One Flesh. The Donne was the marriage one, I think. Haven't got my copies here at home.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Which texts have you been studying? Because we did John Donne/The Duchess of Malfi and Othello, and questions for those were pretty straightforward
Was poetry/poetry one flesh and a Donne marriage one.
Then it was Troilus and Cressida (drama) and the woodlanders (prose) and was about the end of a relationship
Was poetry/poetry one flesh and a Donne marriage one.
Then it was Troilus and Cressida (drama) and the woodlanders (prose) and was about the end of a relationship

Of course it was! How stupid of me! Going back to edit my post pronto!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Of course it was! How stupid of me! Going back to edit my post pronto!

Haha :smile: was a realt good paper though...except for Donne
Haha :smile: was a realt good paper though...except for Donne

My students were ok with the Donne, because they'd done it, but they hated the T&C. Section B seems to me to often be done worse. I think it's because they've run out of steam and it's harder to compare two different genres, but I'm only speculating. (The Rover was on the last mock paper I marked. Time blurs when you're old. Also exam papers, obviously.)
My students were ok with the Donne, because they'd done it, but they hated the T&C. Section B seems to me to often be done worse. I think it's because they've run out of steam and it's harder to compare two different genres, but I'm only speculating. (The Rover was on the last mock paper I marked. Time blurs when you're old. Also exam papers, obviously.)

Most people in my class think that but i find section B easy personally. And i lost marks on the first question but i always struggle with Donne and metaphysical poetry :/ Hoping for some good extracts :biggrin:
Most people in my class think that but i find section B easy personally. And i lost marks on the first question but i always struggle with Donne and metaphysical poetry :/ Hoping for some good extracts :biggrin:

It's all a matter of personal taste, I suspect. I do think the drama extracts are tricky because you have to absorb so much context before you can understand who's saying what to whom, without any surrounding narrative to help you out. Never neglect the synopsis at the top of the extract. It's really worth spending time making sure you've got the right end of the stick before you start writing. At one meeting I was at, the chief examiner said he knew if a candidate started writing straightaway, they weren't likely to do well, because the time is designed to incorporate the reading time needed to understand it properly. Only he put it a bit more eloquently.
Reply 13
It's all a matter of personal taste, I suspect. I do think the drama extracts are tricky because you have to absorb so much context before you can understand who's saying what to whom, without any surrounding narrative to help you out. Never neglect the synopsis at the top of the extract. It's really worth spending time making sure you've got the right end of the stick before you start writing. At one meeting I was at, the chief examiner said he knew if a candidate started writing straightaway, they weren't likely to do well, because the time is designed to incorporate the reading time needed to understand it properly. Only he put it a bit more eloquently.

Can't imagine not planning! Although I hate the time limit for this paper. Means I am always writing up until the last second practically! Never enough time for me :frown: I normally don't mind the drama - I actually really liked 'The Rover', had a lot to say about it, although I can see what you mean, particularly if it's a long extract!
Can't imagine not planning! Although I hate the time limit for this paper. Means I am always writing up until the last second practically! Never enough time for me :frown: I normally don't mind the drama - I actually really liked 'The Rover', had a lot to say about it, although I can see what you mean, particularly if it's a long extract!

It's not that there's anything wrong with the drama extracts that they choose, although unseen Shakespeare, and a difficult one at that, is a bit of a mean trick, it's just getting your head round the plot and characters out of context. I'm glad you plan. Nothing worse than seeing an unannotated script.
Reply 15
It's not that there's anything wrong with the drama extracts that they choose, although unseen Shakespeare, and a difficult one at that, is a bit of a mean trick, it's just getting your head round the plot and characters out of context. I'm glad you plan. Nothing worse than seeing an unannotated script.

Can see what you mean be that! Hope we don't get anything like that this time around :s-smilie: Just hope the paper isn't too mean, and I can manage my time well. Hopefully then everything will be alright!
Can see what you mean be that! Hope we don't get anything like that this time around :s-smilie: Just hope the paper isn't too mean, and I can manage my time well. Hopefully then everything will be alright!

Expect it to be vile, because it probably will be, but also realise that everyone is in the same boat and they will make sure that the grade boundaries yield the same proportion of As etc as they always do. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending