The Student Room Group

Is WJEC English Combined boring?

I have heard a lot of people recently complaining that the WJEC syllabus for A level English Lit and Lang combined is boring, is this true?
No it's great! Well, the poetry is hard work, but I think it is much more encompassing that the poetry you do for Lit. It depends what novels your teacher chooses for the class, but I'm really glad I chose Lit/Lang over just Lit. It's more difficult to get started because you have to write in a much more analytical way than in Lit but once you get the hang of it, you find you understand the effect of english much more.
Reply 2
Incredibly so.

We did A River Sutra for AS Level, I've never read a more boring book. Full of sex and Indian people. Wuthering Heights for A Level, haaaate it.
Original post by madders94
Incredibly so.

We did A River Sutra for AS Level, I've never read a more boring book. Full of sex and Indian people. Wuthering Heights for A Level, haaaate it.

I did a River Sutra & Short Cuts too! And Wuthering Heights; exam on the 20th!:frown: The 3 unseen text section is alright though. The new AS anthology is packed with a variety of interesting and enlightening poems from the likes of Wordsworth and Donne. Especially adore Donne's sonnet Batter My Heart, most fave poem ever!
I actually enjoyed reading a River Sutra - the Executive's story, teacher's story, and the Musicians story were really touching! But Caver's Short Cuts - hated the minimalistic style.
So damn nervous for Wuthering Heights!

Oh and OP, i'm actually regretting choosing this over Lit! At GCSE I'd obtained A*s for both language and literature - however my first sitting at the AS exam, came out with a disappointing C! But it is your choice :smile: I honestly am finding this course interesting and not at all boring, indeed, it is challenging me in a way I did not initially anticipate.
Reply 4
Original post by Romisa_lovesA7X
I did a River Sutra & Short Cuts too! And Wuthering Heights; exam on the 20th!:frown: The 3 unseen text section is alright though. The new AS anthology is packed with a variety of interesting and enlightening poems from the likes of Wordsworth and Donne. Especially adore Donne's sonnet Batter My Heart, most fave poem ever!
I actually enjoyed reading a River Sutra - the Executive's story, teacher's story, and the Musicians story were really touching! But Caver's Short Cuts - hated the minimalistic style.
So damn nervous for Wuthering Heights!

Oh and OP, i'm actually regretting choosing this over Lit! At GCSE I'd obtained A*s for both language and literature - however my first sitting at the AS exam, came out with a disappointing C! But it is your choice :smile: I honestly am finding this course interesting and not at all boring, indeed, it is challenging me in a way I did not initially anticipate.

Ooh I will admit I loved the teacher's story! I did enjoy that one :smile: I'm not confident at all for the exam, I'm hoping my grades in Drama and Psychology boost my chances of reaching my offer. I loved English at GCSE and got A* for language and A for literature, but I really haven't enjoyed the past two years of it, I got an A in the coursework and a B in the AS exam.
Reply 5
I actually like the course - AS can be a bit long as in you're just starting A Level have a tonne of poetry and 2 novels to read (we read In Cold Blood and The true story of the Kelly Gang). Poetry is hard but once you know terminology you'll fly through it. A2 is basically the same cept you do less poetry and more variety and then another novel (Wuthering Heights for us). So personally its personal opinion really. :smile:
Ooh I will admit I loved the teacher's story! I did enjoy that one :smile: I'm not confident at all for the exam, I'm hoping my grades in Drama and Psychology boost my chances of reaching my offer. I loved English at GCSE and got A* for language and A for literature, but I really haven't enjoyed the past two years of it, I got an A in the coursework and a B in the AS exam.

I scraped an A for my AS coursework, first sitting got C in AS exam, then I resat in January, came out with a B...AND resat it 3rd time this june! Hoping for an A now : ) + For the june resit I had to learn an all new anthology of poems and to my dismay 2 old ones cane up! Damn u WJEC for I had invested so much time learning contextual factors for the new ones :frown:
Soo nervous for the Wuthering Heights exam! I wish u all the best :smile: Btw do you intend to memorise key quotes or will u look for them in the book during the exam? I NEED an A for this subject but sure am struggling so far!
Reply 7
Original post by Romisa_lovesA7X
Btw do you intend to memorise key quotes or will u look for them in the book during the exam? I NEED an A for this subject but sure am struggling so far!

It probably doesn't help that I only need a C but I'm not memorising the quotes because A. we won't have much time and B. we have so much to remember anyways. I suppose looking up quotes won't help your timing but you never know what question you'd get and whether any quotes you memorised could be used. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Zogian
It probably doesn't help that I only need a C but I'm not memorising the quotes because A. we won't have much time and B. we have so much to remember anyways. I suppose looking up quotes won't help your timing but you never know what question you'd get and whether any quotes you memorised could be used. Good luck :smile:

Hm I guess a couple of key quotes won't hurt! I'm more worried for the unseen section should they present a poem that's real hard to decipher meaning and purpose from. Good Luck to you too, not long left now! :biggrin:
Incredibly so.

I did Wuthering Heights for As and I can agree with you.
Reply 10
Personally, I really enjoyed AS Level as the texts we were studying were really interesting (Kelly Gang and In Cold Blood) however I have struggled with A Level immensely and am sitting it for the third time next Wednesday. Our main text is Wuthering Heights and I've read the novel and really enjoyed it every time i've read it but in the last two exams i got 45/80 and i need 60/80 for an A.
I don't want to put the entire blame on the teachers but only one person in my year got above 50/80 last year and I don't think they understand the syllabus.

How is everyone revising for it? What thematic questions do you think will come up for WH? In January I answered a question on death but i can't remember what the others were on.
I want Landscapes to come up :smile:
Original post by abi.tanner
Personally, I really enjoyed AS Level as the texts we were studying were really interesting (Kelly Gang and In Cold Blood) however I have struggled with A Level immensely and am sitting it for the third time next Wednesday. Our main text is Wuthering Heights and I've read the novel and really enjoyed it every time i've read it but in the last two exams i got 45/80 and i need 60/80 for an A.
I don't want to put the entire blame on the teachers but only one person in my year got above 50/80 last year and I don't think they understand the syllabus.

How is everyone revising for it? What thematic questions do you think will come up for WH? In January I answered a question on death but i can't remember what the others were on.

Original post by shookthetrees
I want Landscapes to come up :smile:

How is everyone revising for the unseen texts?! There's only two past papers which I've done in class, and I've only revised for section B so far.

For WH I'm hoping that question on isolation/barriers/freedom comes up; I don't think there's anything for WH I'd massively struggle with, it would just be applying to partner texts that I'd have trouble with.

Are most people using partner texts from the AS course? We studied Kelly Gang and In Cold Blood. They're fine but I'd wanted to put in some of my own wider reading, e.g. I found loads of comparison points when I read Sons and Lovers and Frankenstein, but my teacher said it probably isn't a good idea because I haven't actually studied the texts?
Reply 13
Original post by sammy-lou
How is everyone revising for the unseen texts?! There's only two past papers which I've done in class, and I've only revised for section B so far.

For WH I'm hoping that question on isolation/barriers/freedom comes up; I don't think there's anything for WH I'd massively struggle with, it would just be applying to partner texts that I'd have trouble with.

Are most people using partner texts from the AS course? We studied Kelly Gang and In Cold Blood. They're fine but I'd wanted to put in some of my own wider reading, e.g. I found loads of comparison points when I read Sons and Lovers and Frankenstein, but my teacher said it probably isn't a good idea because I haven't actually studied the texts?

I have revised all the terminology as well as the different types of genres and the different historical events for each time period for section A. I know i'll forget it all when i walk into the exam though!

I am not using In Cold Blood of Kelly Gang unless revenge or something similar comes up. I am mainly using books ive recently read such as The Diary of a Young Girl and Huckleberry Finn as well as Political Speeches I have remembered key quotes from. But what i will use entirely depends on the question i choose too. It's such a horrible exam.
Original post by abi.tanner
I have revised all the terminology as well as the different types of genres and the different historical events for each time period for section A. I know i'll forget it all when i walk into the exam though!

I am not using In Cold Blood of Kelly Gang unless revenge or something similar comes up. I am mainly using books ive recently read such as The Diary of a Young Girl and Huckleberry Finn as well as Political Speeches I have remembered key quotes from. But what i will use entirely depends on the question i choose too. It's such a horrible exam.

That's a good idea, thanks!

I do struggle with the synoptic contextual stuff. I've found that with some of the past papers they do really benefit from a certain amount of general knowledge, e.g. geographical knowledge and historical knowledge way beyond the english syllabus. Which I think is kind of unfair when literally anything could come up!
Reply 15
Original post by sammy-lou
That's a good idea, thanks!

I do struggle with the synoptic contextual stuff. I've found that with some of the past papers they do really benefit from a certain amount of general knowledge, e.g. geographical knowledge and historical knowledge way beyond the english syllabus. Which I think is kind of unfair when literally anything could come up!

i completely understand! learning key dates is really hard for me - i think the only ones i know off by heart are Forsters education act and the french revolution.
last year, three girls in my class took history as well and they seemed to know everything. there were only 6 of us in our class, so the rest of us looked stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending