The Student Room Group

Aberdeen UNI or Robert Gordon?

Hello
I'm from the EU and I have applied for law programs in Aberdeen UNI (2 different programs) and Robert Gordon UNI (undergraduate of course). My problem is that I can't choose whether to go for Robert Gordon as a firm choice ( they want a better mark on my final examinations) or one of the two Aberdeen programs. I just can't get to a strong point in my mind, I'm not sure if Aberdeen UNI is a better choice than Robert Gordon of vise versa..
I'd be glad to hear some suggestions and some arguments supporting any of the two choices..
Cheers, mates!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Revolution bg
Hello
I'm from the EU and I have applied for law programs in Aberdeen UNI (2 different programs) and Robert Gordon UNI (undergraduate of course). My problem is that I can't choose whether to go for Robert Gordon as a firm choice ( they want a better mark on my final examinations) or one of the two Aberdeen programs. I just can't get to a strong point in my mind, I'm not sure if Aberdeen UNI is a better choice than Robert Gordon of vise versa..
I'd be glad to hear some suggestions and some arguments supporting any of the two choices..
Cheers, mates!

If you wanted to repair bits of oil rig for a living, I could see a case for Robert Gordon.

However for law, I cannot see any possible reason why anyone would take Robert Gordon over Aberdeen.

Robert Gordon has no profile outside the oil industry. Aberdeen is an ancient university with a well regarded law school and a substantial presence in European civil law.
Reply 2
Aberdeen. No brainer.
Reply 3
Definitely Aberdeen "UNI".
Reply 4
Original post by Revolution bg
Hello
Cheers, mates!

I would agree with the fact that Aberdeen is a better option then RGU.
Of course, it depends on what you decide to next. If you decide to follow a career in law, Aberdeen should be your choice. Also, if you decided to pursue a master's degree in UK or abroad, Aberdeen will be considered as far more prestigious.
On the other hand, if you want to follow a career in business,then you should also consider Robert Gordon because it has excellent links with the oil industry.
I personally don't think RGU is as bad as it is regarded by many because of the fact that it is a modern university.
Even if you will get a high grade in your final exams the overall quality of students is low, their entry requirements for IB is 28, which is .... compared to other unis in the UK. Even with the low entry requirements, its graduates are extremely employable and I remember the fact that their students won a mooting competition against Edinburgh Uni. It's clear that its students are making progresses at uni.
As an EU student myself I can tell you that unis ask for strange grades from EU students. Don't mind them.
(edited 11 years ago)
I would suggest Aberdeen.
Reply 6
Aberdeen uni gets a better name. you only have to look at the university rankings
Reply 7
Aberdeen. There's not even a debate.
Reply 8
This thread is a week old, I'm inclined to think the OP ain't comin' back to find out.

But yeah, Aberdeen is better.
Reply 9
Original post by teach4fun
Aberdeen uni gets a better name. you only have to look at the university rankings

RGU (amazingly enough) is higher than AU in some University guides (eg The Guardian) though they're normally close together in others - which shows that University guides aren't very helpful...

Original post by Zedd
This thread is a week old, I'm inclined to think the OP ain't comin' back to find out.

But yeah, Aberdeen is better.

Perhaps, but it may help someone else in future. :smile:

In my opinion if you want to go to a more prestigious University then go to AU however if you want a better chance getting a job after your degree then RGU's your best bet - I suggest looking at the course structure for both and pick the one that seems most interesting. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Pharm Boy

In my opinion if you want to go to a more prestigious University then go to AU however if you want a better chance getting a job after your degree then RGU's your best bet - I suggest looking at the course structure for both and pick the one that seems most interesting. :smile:

Are you ****ting me?
Original post by Norton1
Are you ****ting me?

No, I am ****ting not. It's apparently the top Scottish University for employability and one of the best in the UK for it.
Reply 12
RGU (amazingly enough) is higher than AU in some University guides (eg The Guardian) though they're normally close together in others - which shows that University guides aren't very helpful...

Re: Job prospects if you have no preference where or what it is that you do post-DPLP then 'on paper' RGU would appear more attractive. But just as there are problems with university rankings there are also problems in graduate employability rankings. I'm currently on an advisory board at AU and the long and short of it is that graduate destination (i.e. the employability ranking) is meaningless.

RGU does generally have better links within Aberdeen than AU does but unless you plan on spending more than 5 years in Aberdeen I wouldn't take that as being a selling point. Ultimately though it's the grades achieved within the first two years which count so whatever the choice just make sure you do well OP.
Original post by Zedd
Re: Job prospects if you have no preference where or what it is that you do post-DPLP then 'on paper' RGU would appear more attractive. But just as there are problems with university rankings there are also problems in graduate employability rankings. I'm currently on an advisory board at AU and the long and short of it is that graduate destination (i.e. the employability ranking) is meaningless.

RGU does generally have better links within Aberdeen than AU does but unless you plan on spending more than 5 years in Aberdeen I wouldn't take that as being a selling point. Ultimately though it's the grades achieved within the first two years which count so whatever the choice just make sure you do well OP.

Just noticed this thread's in the Law section - didn't notice the OP specifying which course so assumed it was just in general.. so I was just speaking about RGU overall (I know nothing about Law).

I was just pointing out some facts that would make people realise that it isn't quite as simple decision as picking the University with the oldest buildings - RGU, though being fairly new, has a lot to offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Just noticed this thread's in the Law sections - didn't think the OP said so I was just speaking about RGU overall (I know nothing about Law).

I was just pointing out some facts that would make people realise that it isn't quite as simple decision as picking the University with the oldest buildings - RGU, though being fairly new, has a lot to offer.

For law in Scotland it's a pretty good guide.
Original post by Norton1
For law in Scotland it's a pretty good guide.

The Guardian's University Guide for Law begs to differ: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-law

Defiantly not saying that University Guides are the way to go but people shouldn't dismiss RGU for preconceived theories.
Reply 16
The Guardian's University Guide for Law begs to differ: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-law

Defiantly not saying that University Guides are the way to go but people shouldn't dismiss RGU for preconceived theories.

It's kind of difficult to really rate the Scottish law schools amongst all those English law schools, which again are based upon misinterpretations of statistics.

Another reason for someone to choose an ancient over an ex-poly is that, generally speaking, there are a wider selection of subjects that you can combine with your law degree.
Reply 17

When I was applying - not so long ago - one league table had Aberdeen as 4th in the UK and the best in Scotland. League tables are essentially meaningless.

None of what I've said should be taken to mean that I don't think that (a) excellent people come out of the newer Universities or (b) that they will necessarily receive a worse education.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zedd
It's kind of difficult to really rate the Scottish law schools amongst all those English law schools, which again are based upon misinterpretations of statistics.

Another reason for someone to choose an ancient over an ex-poly is that, generally speaking, there are a wider selection of subjects that you can combine with your law degree.

Original post by Norton1
When I was applying - not so long ago - one league table had Aberdeen as 4th in the UK and the best in Scotland. League tables are essentially meaningless.

Fair enough. Like I said I know nothing about Law and just wanted to put another view across.

And I already said I wasn't a fan of league tables but they're more valuable than the age of the buildings.
Reply 19

I have looked and you are correct, guides are not very helpful. Still, in my opinion older institutions get a better name. However, rgu is a very good university- so it comes down to where you would prefer to study.

I know friends on both courses and from what I can gather they are both good courses. I personally applied to both universities and preferred aberdeen.

does not mean everyone is the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending