The Student Room Group

How much will my low AS grades affect uni offers?

I've finished all of my AS exams, and I think I will have gotten AACE. The two As in History and Economics, C in Maths and E in Chemistry. Most of the universities I am looking at to study History are looking for AAA. I do believe I can get an A overall in Maths despite the C - I just royally screwed up one module, which I'm going to resit.

How much will these low grades affect my future university offers? Chemistry for me is a lost cause, but should I consider resitting all of the modules to boost the AS grade? Or should I just lower my standards?

Thanks in advance.

(Advance apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum).
Your two A's are amazing so go you! It's a positive that one was in History - this will stand in your favour. Your E won't look good, but i'm assuming you won't carry that on? I got a D in psychology last year and it didn't impact my UCAS at all, i got offers below the standard at York, Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingam.
On your UCAS form you will put your AS level result as pending - so they won't know how you did. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine - good luck!
Reply 2
When you apply (I don't know if you know) but you will but in what you got at AS, then if you are resitting anything from AS during A-level you will have to put that you are resitting and what you are expected to get.

So, suppose you do get those grade but do need AAA, maybe if say you dropped Chemistry, and resat your maths module and was predicted an A, and you were predicted 3 As for your 3 A levels then it would be worth applying for your unis.

I think your personal statement may contribute if you convey a true passion towards your subjects but some unis are getting really picky on grades these days.

At my school everyone was told to have at least one back up plan as well, like a uni requiring ABB or something oppose to AAA (depending on your expected grades).
Reply 3
Thanks to the both of you! Yeah, I'm not going to continue Chemistry next year, but I think I'll resit the modules to improve my AS grade anyway - no harm doing so. Thank you again.

Quick Reply

Latest