The Student Room Group

retaking failed a-levels from scratch?

So I've failed my a-levels this year (or at least had a very low pass), I've already retaken the year and the connexions officer says that I'm stuck with what I've got now, I can't retake modules I have to start from scratch, my question is when I start from scratch next year, do I have to pick a different exam board when doing the same subject, and when applying to uni do I have to use the a-level results I already have or the predicted grade for the intensive courses I'll be doing next year? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by laprenti
So I've failed my a-levels this year (or at least had a very low pass), I've already retaken the year and the connexions officer says that I'm stuck with what I've got now, I can't retake modules I have to start from scratch, my question is when I start from scratch next year, do I have to pick a different exam board when doing the same subject, and when applying to uni do I have to use the a-level results I already have or the predicted grade for the intensive courses I'll be doing next year? Thanks

The connexions person is wrong. You do not have to start from scratch as there is no limit to the number of time you can re-sit individual units and cash-in again. If you really do decide to start again then I would stick with the same exam board so any good units you already have could count if you did worse this time round. However, there is normally only funding for 3 years of 6th form - do you know if next year's will be paid for?

However, if you have already spent 3 years studying a subject and only scraped a pass I think you should think long and hard about a change of plan - is there something else you might enjoy and find more achievable?
Reply 2
Original post by Data
The connexions person is wrong. You do not have to start from scratch as there is no limit to the number of time you can re-sit individual units and cash-in again. If you really do decide to start again then I would stick with the same exam board so any good units you already have could count if you did worse this time round. However, there is normally only funding for 3 years of 6th form - do you know if next year's will be paid for?

However, if you have already spent 3 years studying a subject and only scraped a pass I think you should think long and hard about a change of plan - is there something else you might enjoy and find more achievable?

Thanks for your advice :smile: Really? Well that's good to know, I'll verify that with the exam boards. Next year, either I go on an intensive course with the tuition being free for those on JSA, or I become a private candidate and self-study at home

Ah, well when I say 'study', I use the term very lightly, I did not do homework, or very much classwork, missed a lot of the lessons, I would only study/revise the day before each exam and would literally go through the textbook and read material which was completely new to me a few hours before taking the exam. The only exam I studied for more than one day for (I studied for a week) was C1 maths, and I got a high B for it. So I'm fairly confident I can pass if I apply myself properly this time, I joined a support group for my problem, I'm learning not to severely procrastinate now, and I can be on time to things around 65% of the time now
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice :smile: Really? Well that's good to know, I'll verify that with the exam boards.

I do know for certain - I work in a school and was an exams officer - but you may still want to double check for your own piece of mind.
Reply 4
Original post by Data
I do know for certain - I work in a school and was an exams officer - but you may still want to double check for your own piece of mind.

Thanks, will do

Could you clear up the issue of applying to uni? I'll possibly be a private candidate so no one will be able to give me predicted grades, so what do I apply to uni with?
Reply 5
Thanks, will do

Could you clear up the issue of applying to uni? I'll possibly be a private candidate so no one will be able to give me predicted grades, so what do I apply to uni with?

I'm afraid I don't deal with UCAS so my answer would be just as much as stab on the dark as most of the ones here.
I resat the year because of poor grades without any issues. One of my teachers said you couldn't sit the same exam more than 4 times however.
Reply 7
I'm afraid I don't deal with UCAS so my answer would be just as much as stab on the dark as most of the ones here.

Ah, thanks anyway, I'll contact them

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I resat the year because of poor grades without any issues. One of my teachers said you couldn't sit the same exam more than 4 times however.

So did I but I was worried about resitting the year once more or starting all over

I don't think that's quite right, I resat the same exam 5 times over three years
(edited 11 years ago)
Ah, thanks anyway, I'll contact them

So did I but I was worried about resitting the year once more or starting all over

I don't think that's quite right, I resat the same exam 5 times over three years

And in a recent article I read that someone resat a maths module 29 times...

I resat Core 1 three times. I dont think resitting a year seems to limit you much. I managed to get an offer from a very good university for physics.
Reply 9
I resat Core 1 three times. I dont think resitting a year seems to limit you much. I managed to get an offer from a very good university for physics.

Well done, I'm considering studying physics as well, what uni was it?
Well done, I'm considering studying physics as well, what uni do you go to?

I left A-levels with CCC. Did a foundation year at Loughborough and I now have an offer from Manchester who would normally want A*AA. I also applied to Durham but they've not replied yet.
I left A-levels with CCC. Did a foundation year at Loughborough and I now have an offer from Manchester who would normally want A*AA. I also applied to Durham but they've not replied yet.

You applied for a foundation year at a uni, did brilliantly in it and applied to then carry on to Manchester?

Did you have loads of relevant experience or something similar?

That's amazing, just wondering how it's done.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
You applied for a foundation year at a uni, did brilliantly in it and applied to then carry on to Manchester?

Did you have loads of relevant experience or something similar?

That's amazing, just wondering how it's done.

I have no relevant experience at all if you mean work experience or extra extracurriculars. My PS to Manchester/Durham has no extracurriculars mentioned.

I Just have average GCSES (B/C/D's and 1 A), First sitting AS-levels at UUEU and after resit A-levels at CCC. However, I did well on the foundation.
I have no relevant experience at all if you mean work experience or extra extracurriculars. My PS to Manchester/Durham has no extracurriculars mentioned.

I Just have average GCSES (B/C/D's and 1 A), First sitting AS-levels at UUEU and after resit A-levels at CCC. However, I did well on the foundation.

Congrats, must have done fantastically and that's really a way to make the most of your grades.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Congrats, must have done fantastically and that's really a way to make the most of your grades.

It helped a lot that my grades were extremely high on the foundation and I have an exceptional reference written for me. However, I spent a lot of time trying to improve myself. One such example would be in laboratory experiments. At A-level I got E grades in my labs, yet at university (where the labs are harder) I got 95% average across 14 experiments, mostly physics but some chemistry (Never did chemistry at A-level).
Reply 15
Thanks, will do

Someone will still give you a tutor reference and predicted grades.

You can go to one of your old teachers and they should be happy enough to give you one.

Or if you start a new intensive course; the teacher of that course can help you.
Reply 16
One of my teachers said you couldn't sit the same exam more than 4 times however.

There is no limit on the number of times you can re-sit (except the specification being withdrawn so the exam is no longer available).

Quick Reply

Latest