The Student Room Group

What universities are open to me with grades BBBC/D

I've had a look about but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about where I could potentially be going? Would rather the institution be in the South. In my A levels I aim to achieve B (Maths), B (Further Maths), B (Biology), and C/D(Physics).
Obviously I know these grades are not good enough to get into a Russell Group so I was wondering about the alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you started a levels yet? Why not aim higher and see how you get on?
Anyway look at a list of various uni offers.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Have you started a levels yet? Why not aim higher and see how you get on?
Anyway look at a list of various uni offers.

Yeah I've started, my last exam is tomorrow, I'd love to aim higher but yeah :biggrin:. Cheers, will do.
Reply 3
Original post by MattyJo
I've had a look about but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about where I could potentially be going? Would rather the institution be in the South. In my A levels I aim to achieve B (Maths), B (Further Maths), B (Biology), and C/D(Physics).
Obviously I know these grades are not good enough to get into a Russell Group so I was wondering about the alternatives?

you can apply for foundation year then continue on into Russell group(it's integrated) ? that's what I chose to do instead, what course do you want to do? engineering?
What degree would you want to do? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by blondie :)
What degree would you want to do? :smile:

Haha, Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by pshewitt1
you can apply for foundation year then continue on into Russell group(it's integrated) ? that's what I chose to do instead, what course do you want to do? engineering?

Thing is I'm already doing a gap year and I'd rather not lose even more time, nah pure maths.
Damn maths has high grade boundries! I was gona say,bbb is good enough for some courses in Russell group unis. Only uni down south i personally applied 2 was southampton

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
You can look at this : http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mathematics; tot up the predicted score for your A Levels and then see where you fit in. But I would do a foundations degree first
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You can look at this : http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mathematics; tot up the predicted score for your A Levels and then see where you fit in. But I would do a foundations degree first

Why what's the advantage of a foundation degree?
Original post by MattyJo
Why what's the advantage of a foundation degree?

You can use a foundation year as access to a good university. By default they assume that you will progress at the university that you studied the foundation year at, however, you can transfer.

I did a physics foundation year at Loughborough when I only got CCC in A-level and got offered a place at Manchester which would normally require A*AA.
Reply 11
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
You can use a foundation year as access to a good university. By default they assume that you will progress at the university that you studied the foundation year at, however, you can transfer.

I did a physics foundation year at Loughborough when I only got CCC in A-level and got offered a place at Manchester which would normally require A*AA.

But I don't really think this is ideal as I'm already taking a gap year?
Reply 12
I wouldn't put too much faith in league tables, that says LSE has the second best maths course in the country when LSE don't even offer a stand alone maths course.
Reply 13
Original post by TheJ0ker
I wouldn't put too much faith in league tables, that says LSE has the second best maths course in the country when LSE don't even offer a stand alone maths course.

Is there a better way to compare them?
Original post by MattyJo
But I don't really think this is ideal as I'm already taking a gap year?

There has been a lot in the press about students whose A levels don't prepare them for uni. Your grades BBBC/D may mean that you struggle to keep up with some of the more able students. A foundation year would give you a head start.

As for your not wanting to do a FY because of your gap year - are you 65 years of age. What is the problem starting at 19/20 and finishing at 23/24. Quite frankly a degree for which you are prepared is far better than struggling through a degree and ending up with a third or dropping out all together
Reply 15
Original post by squeakysquirrel
There has been a lot in the press about students whose A levels don't prepare them for uni. Your grades BBBC/D may mean that you struggle to keep up with some of the more able students. A foundation year would give you a head start.

As for your not wanting to do a FY because of your gap year - are you 65 years of age. What is the problem starting at 19/20 and finishing at 23/24. Quite frankly a degree for which you are prepared is far better than struggling through a degree and ending up with a third or dropping out all together

I don't understand, surely my grades would match up to the entry requirements of the university? :s-smilie:.
Reply 16
Original post by MattyJo
Is there a better way to compare them?

Uni websites and prospectuses will be better, that way you also get to see the content of the course which will vary between institutions. There should be lots of universities available to you, BBB is quite a standard entry requirement and if you have done F maths then that will help a lot.
Reply 17
Original post by TheJ0ker
Uni websites and prospectuses will be better, that way you also get to see the content of the course which will vary between institutions. There should be lots of universities available to you, BBB is quite a standard entry requirement and if you have done F maths then that will help a lot.

Is there anything that is involved in the course that could make going to one uni more of an advantage? Or is it just personal preference?
The course of is slightly different at different unis. Whether it be no of hours of teaching time,facilities or standard of teaching. Every course at different unis will be different,as will the uni itself. I chose my uni based on living at the actual uni(great campus) and city,reputation of uni and the course at that uni(my was no1 for that department) and opportunities(wanted to do year in industry 2nd year and my uni offered lots of options)
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Most of the mets - Manchester Met, Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, Liverpool John Moores, York St Johns.. basically pick a city and there will be a more modern uni with lower requirements - aka ucas tariff rather than grades

Quick Reply