The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holby_fanatic
Our teacher just told us to always do it in terms of the temperature remaining constant.

So if the pressure increases, for the temperature, and therefore kinetic energy, to remain constant, the volume must fall. Potential energy decreases and so the internal energy decreases.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360

Volume doesn't affect internal energy. The internal energy is the sum of both potential and kinetic. As volume decreases/ pressure increases the loss in potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. If decreasing the volume of a gas made the internal energy lower you would be destroying energy, and this isn't what happen.
Am I missing something?
Reply 141
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
Volume doesn't affect internal energy. The internal energy is the sum of both potential and kinetic. As volume decreases/ pressure increases the loss in potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. If decreasing the volume of a gas made the internal energy lower you would be destroying energy, and this isn't what happen.
Am I missing something?

I agree with you here, I think they are getting Volume and Mass muddled up, by decreasing volume you are increasing the mass per m^3 so the pressure increases. By decreasing mass you are decreasing binding enery (g485) e=mc^2
Original post by sarah-xx
Should have noticed that they said total momentum & not just Kinetic!
That helped a lot. Thanks you :smile:

I thought momentum was always conserved in an inelastic or elastic collision :/
Original post by Beresford George

It is, total momentum and total energy are always conserved regardless of whether or not the collision is elastic or inelastic.
Reply 144

The question doesn't ask if momentum is conserved, it asks if the 2 object have the same momentum. It's badly worded.
Original post by Picture~Perfect
It is, total momentum and total energy are always conserved regardless of whether or not the collision is elastic or inelastic.

Ah good. So in an elastic collision it is just kinetic energy that is not conserved.
Ah good. So in an elastic collision it is just kinetic energy that is not conserved.

No.

'Perfectly' elastic collision:
The kinetic energy of the system remains constant. Total energy and total momentum are also conserved.

'Perfectly' inelastic collision:
The total kinetic energy is not conserved. Total energy and total momentum are conserved.
No.

'Perfectly' elastic collision:
The kinetic energy of the system remains constant. Total energy and total momentum are also conserved.

'Perfectly' inelastic collision:
The total kinetic energy is not conserved. Total energy and total momentum are conserved.

I meant to write inelastic. My bad.
Reply 148
This is going to sound very stupid, but what exactly is an ideal gas?
Original post by crazy1234
This is going to sound very stupid, but what exactly is an ideal gas?

It's a concept used to describe a gas, the term ideal is used as certain assumptions are made. However at standard temperature and pressure most gases behave as an ideal gas.
Reply 150
Can I get a list of all the wordy essay type questions with model answers?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Shahman123
Can I get a list of all the wordy essay type questions with model answers?

Surely it would be quicker to look at past paper essay questions and the mark schemes?
Besides there are notes on the first post of this thread.
Reply 152
Pictureperfect your gonna smash thhis exam arent u lol
Original post by stunnaman
Pictureperfect your gonna smash thhis exam arent u lol

I'd like to think so XD
I'd like to think so XD

90/90 UMS right? :cool:
Reply 155
Surely it would be quicker to look at past paper essay questions and the mark schemes?
Besides there are notes on the first post of this thread.

Alright can I just just get a list of topics quickly LOL without the model answers, and I know what's on the first post it's my thread haha!

Alright can I just just get a list of topics quickly LOL without the model answers, and I know what's on the first post it's my thread haha!

:tongue:
Any ideas which topic may be chosen for the synoptic question?
Original post by Jukeboxing
90/90 UMS right? :cool:

I don't know if I will get full UMS, it would be nice though :smile:

Sorry, I didn't realise it was your thread XP
You want possible essay questions right?

Describe an experiment to show brownian motion. Discuss the evidence for the movement of particles provided by such experiment.

State the basic assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases.

Describe an electrical experiment to determine the specific heat capacity of a solid or a liquid.

Describe simple examples of free oscillations.

Describe with graphical illustrations the changes in displacement, velocity and acceleration of simple harmonic motion.

Describe the effects of damping on an oscillating system.

Describe an example where resonance is useful and an example where it is a hinderance.

Describe solids, liquids and gases in terms of the spacing, ordering and motion of atoms.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest