The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Game_boy
Part II Physics. My DoS wants me to take Half Subject Physics. He said he'd only let me do the full course if I got a 2.1, but afaik there's no grade requirement on Part II, only on Part III.

I'm going to wait until my results and contact Tutor etc. after that.

Half subject is pointless and prevents the possibility of a 4th year and a job involving physics.

He really should not be able to stop you from doing the subject you want to do, especially in Part II (Part III usually has a grade requirement). I'd see your tutor or speak to the head of teaching in Physics (although I'm not sure who it is).

If you don't mind me asking, how have you coped with physics this year? If you've struggled then I can see why your DoS doesn't want you to do it in part II. I'm guessing you did doubly physics/maths so have no other options? In my college potential physicists are usually recommended to take something other than maths in 2nd year so they have a fall back option if it all goes badly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by illusionz

If you don't mind me asking, how have you coped with physics this year? If you've struggled then I can see why your DoS doesn't want you to do it in part II. I'm guessing you did doubly physics/maths so have no other options? In my college potential physicists are usually recommended to take something other than maths in 2nd year so they have a fall back option if it all goes badly.

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what happened. If I do get a reasonable mark though (2.2) I'd still like to carry on with Physics and decide whether I'll do a fourth year later. It was really the Maths that caused the problem, I should have taken Materials (my DoS wants me to do this with Half Subject).
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what happened. If I do get a reasonable mark though (2.2) I'd still like to carry on with Physics and decide whether I'll do a fourth year later. It was really the Maths that caused the problem, I should have taken Materials (my DoS wants me to do this with Half Subject).

Ok well as long as you want to do physics and think you'll enjoy it then to be honest you should fight your case. I really don't think your DoS can prevent you doing what you want - they can push you towards a certain option but can't stop you doing something else.

Just be prepared for your DoS to ask you to do some work over the summer to make sure you have a solid understanding of this years work before you start next year! As someone who was told to try and catch up on stuff I pretty much failed in 2nd year and didn't bother, it really makes third year difficult when you have no idea what is going on. I had to spend a lot of time over the holidays going over it all again and then the term afterwards was so much easier.
Doing Half subject Physics was probably the best decision I've ever made. Totally turned my Cambridge experience around. I know people who were on similar marks to me in IB do full part II Physics and get further bogged down whilst us half subjecters have really turned things around. Couldn't recommend it highly enough unless you want to be an academic, in which case you should probably move to another university.
Original post by ukdragon37
Well, I was hoping the analogy holds at least comparatively with a conversion :tongue:

Some of the shows do show that and I feel strangely attracted :laugh:

Ha ha, it's honestly not as fun in real life. I've seen that sort of thing happen on work experience...

Original post by Chubasco
I feel really gutted...I've worked so hard for four years and now it's all kind of exploded in my face. I've been ill all year but thought I'd be ok to just carry on, whereas I suppose I should have degraded (hindsight is a wonderful thing).

Aaw no. I know a guy who's going through exactly the same thing (he got stomach flu on his 3rd exam and only managed to properly answer 2/4 questions, whilst running a 38 degree temperature and being somewhat delirious. Not answering one question is the easiest way to fail a paper so...). I think he's told me he might get DDH instead of a grade and his DoS is planning to inform the people who want to take him on as to why his grade is low (if it is).

I don't know about CUSU but I do know someone who got their results bumped up following an exam appeal. If you want, I could ask her if she has any advice for you? I haven't spoken to her in a while but she's lovely and probably wouldn't mind talking about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gethsemane342

Aaw no. I know a guy who's going through exactly the same thing (he got stomach flu on his 3rd exam and only managed to properly answer 2/4 questions, whilst running a 38 degree temperature and being somewhat delirious. Not answering one question is the easiest way to fail a paper so...). I think he's told me he might get DDH instead of a grade and his DoS is planning to inform the people who want to take him on as to why his grade is low (if it is).

I don't know about CUSU but I do know someone who got their results bumped up following an exam appeal (I believe they did sit all of their finals but basically spent all term in a wheelchair and in their room, being unable to leave very easily. After spending all year with lots of injuries - they have brittle bones). If you want, I could ask her if she has any advice for you? I haven't spoken to her in a while but she's lovely and probably wouldn't mind talking about it.

Oh no, your poor friends :frown: Yes, it would be great if you could ask her, I really need all the advice I can get!
Original post by Chubasco
Oh no, your poor friends :frown: Yes, it would be great if you could ask her, I really need all the advice I can get!

I've sent her a message. She's visiting people at the moment but hopefully she'll respond soon :smile: I'll PM you if/when she replies.
Yeh my college brother got DDH. He had Chrohn's disease and couldn't sit two of his four finals. However he was fine. He had applied to stay on to do an MPhil, and the department knew his other grades were fine, so they just went on those.
Is your job in SA dependent on grades?
Half subject is pointless and prevents the possibility of a 4th year and a job involving physics.

None of these statements are true.
Original post by BigFudamental
None of these statements are true.

Well they all apply for chemistry so I assumed it would be the case for physics.
Well they all apply for chemistry so I assumed it would be the case for physics.

You can progress to fourth year if you get a first in the physics half of your degree in third year.

Getting jobs in physics is very difficult with a three-year BA whether its half-subject or full-subject, the more important factor is having done a fourth year. You could still use the half subject to do a masters in something more focussed and/or applied. Not to mention that interesting jobs in physics generally require a PhD anyway.

As for being pointless, half-subject is a great way for people who didn't get on well with physics in second year but committed to it in terms of subject choices to end up not hating their third year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BigFudamental
You can progress to fourth year if you get a first in the physics half of your degree in third year.

Which isn't really an option at all. You wouldn't be taking half subject if you could get a first in physics, and you'd have to learn at least 2 extra courses in your own time over the vacation to catch up.

I believe it is viewed by staff as a place to put people who would otherwise get third/fail if made to do a full physics course. 37% of the marks come from coursework and 33% from an IB subject (obviously not as difficult).
(edited 11 years ago)
Which isn't really an option at all. You wouldn't be taking half subject if you could get a first in physics, and you'd have to learn at least 2 extra courses in your own time over the vacation to catch up.

I believe it is viewed by staff as a place to put people who would otherwise get third/fail if made to do a full physics course. 37% of the marks come from coursework and 33% from an IB subject (obviously not as difficult).

Dunno, I elected to do it because I'd grown a bit disillusioned with undergrad physics and knew I didn't want to do a PhD/work in a lab. It's very unlikely I'll get a first but I didn't feel it was out of my reach had I applied myself a bit more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8733
first may ball survived and i feel really awake for some reason. sleeping is totally overrated right?
Original post by Craghyrax
Yeh my college brother got DDH. He had Chrohn's disease and couldn't sit two of his four finals. However he was fine. He had applied to stay on to do an MPhil, and the department knew his other grades were fine, so they just went on those.
Is your job in SA dependent on grades?

No (but I would assume that they expect me to actually get a degree) but it only lasts for a year, and I don't really rate my chances on the job market with a 2.2 (at best) and poor health ...ah well, my politics supervisor (you know who) did say that workfare programs would be very interesting to investigate from a sociological perspective :tongue:

And given that I had similar problems in my second year, the chance of them taking pity on me a second time is very slim...Cambridge just isn't good for people with long term health issues.

I've sent her a message. She's visiting people at the moment but hopefully she'll respond soon I'll PM you if/when she replies.

Thank you, am just replying to your PM! :smile:

first may ball survived and i feel really awake for some reason. sleeping is totally overrated right?

Of course :wink: Hope you had a good night :smile:
Reply 8735
Ugh. How exactly did I manage to schedule nothing for May Week and still end up with a clash whenever I want to do something fun?
Hey guys, hopefully someone here will know. *Summons Homerton freshers*

Cast.Iron
:wavey:

I've got a dinner party near Homerton tonight and was thinking of taking the bus since it's likely to finish late (and I want to be back in time for Suicide Cindies!). Any idea which routes/timetables work?

Thanks. :h:
Reply 8737
Original post by Tortious
Hey guys, hopefully someone here will know. *Summons Homerton freshers*

I've got a dinner party near Homerton tonight and was thinking of taking the bus since it's likely to finish late (and I want to be back in time for Suicide Cindies!). Any idea which routes/timetables work?

Thanks. :h:

I'm not sure how late they run but both the Citi 1 and Citi 7 go down there, and stop practically outside.
Original post by Adhsur
I'm not sure how late they run but both the Citi 1 and Citi 7 go down there, and stop practically outside.

Fantastic - just what I wanted to hear. :p: This suggests that they run fairly late, so I'm sure I'll be fine. :yep:

Anyway, how are you? How's life outside the bubble?
Reply 8739
Original post by Tortious
Fantastic - just what I wanted to hear. :p: This suggests that they run fairly late, so I'm sure I'll be fine. :yep:

Anyway, how are you? How's life outside the bubble?

Great!

I'm OK thanks, wishing I was still in the bubble, and living/working suspiciously very close to it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending