Can I still have a career in Biology??

For my GCSE's:
Math B
Biology B/A
Home Economics B
English C
Physics C
Chemistry C

For a levels i'm taking: biology, psychology, business and (hopefully economics)

I really would like a career in biology. probably by studying biology at uni, but to do biology at uni you must have chemistry at a level which is out of the question.

Please help any advice??

Also, I'm not sure what career i should go for. I really dont think i could sit in an office all, I need to do something that means something. I dont want to join the police solving burglaries etc, besides i've already picked my a levels. Thats why i think a career in biology, doing research experiments for the future will be good......
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Average GCSEs, you can probably pursue a career that you want if you lie about your grades :wink:
Original post by jacqueline789
For my GCSE's:
Math B
Biology B/A
Home Economics B
English C
Physics C
Chemistry C

For a levels i'm taking: biology, psychology, business and (hopefully economics)

I really would like a career in biology. probably by studying biology at uni, but to do biology at uni you must have chemistry at a level which is out of the question.

Please help any advice??

Also, I'm not sure what career i should go for. I really dont think i could sit in an office all, I need to do something that means something. I dont want to join the police solving burglaries etc, besides i've already picked my a levels. Thats why i think a career in biology, doing research experiments for the future will be good......

You definitely don't need A-level Chemistry to do Biology at uni. I know somebody who does Biology, Maths and Physics who's going to do Biology at uni this September, and somebody else who did Biology, Geography and Psychology who is at uni studying Biology.

Look at the entry requirements for universities you are interested in. If they say Chemistry is required, then rule them out. You'll find a lot of them will either say just Biology as a science is needed, or 2 sciences from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology and Geography. A lot of universities are going to explicitly want Chemistry, but there will be an awful lot more who don't need it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Flyteryder
You definitely don't need A-level Chemistry to do Biology at uni. I know somebody who does Biology, Maths and Physics who's going to do Biology at uni this September, and somebody else who did Biology, Geography and Psychology who is at uni studying Biology.

Look at the entry requirements for universities you are interested in. If they say Chemistry is required, then rule them out. You'll find a lot of them will either say just Biology as a science is needed, or 2 sciences from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology and Geography. A lot of universities are going to explicitly want Chemistry, but there will be an awful lot more who don't need it.

ok thanks
Reply 4
Original post by IRL
Average GCSEs, you can probably pursue a career that you want if you lie about your grades :wink:

He could lie about his grades, but that's not going to help him a damn bit when those beans run out.
Reply 5
For my GCSE's:
Math B
Biology B/A
Home Economics B
English C
Physics C
Chemistry C

Please help any advice??

Do you actually have those results yet? I didn't think they were due yet. You may yet surprise yourself if they're not out yet.

However I can tell you that A-level chemistry is not a requirement for many courses. For some, especially those with a high bio-chemistry component, it is desirable, but for many others, especially those with less content at sub-cellular level it's not needed. (And these courses are the one that are much closer to what you will have been doing thus far in biology - you won't have even touched on biochemistry yet)

Original post by IRL

Most employers will require to see copies of your certificates, and being found to be lying on part of your application is sufficient grounds for your application to be dropped, or if you have already been successful for you to be fired, as part of the contract requires you to legally declare it true to the best of your knowledge and so lying breaches the contract.
(edited 11 years ago)
For my GCSE's:
Math B
Biology B/A
Home Economics B
English C
Physics C

You do not NEED chemistry. But many of the highly ranked universities suggest chemistry as it compliments biology. :smile:

Please may I also just ask how you got an A/B in biology?
Reply 7
Original post by The Mr Z
Most employers will require to see copies of your certificates, and being found to be lying on part of your application is sufficient grounds for your application to be dropped, or if you have already been successful for you to be fired, as part of the contract requires you to legally declare it true to the best of your knowledge and so lying breaches the contract.

Incorrect. You fell for the "permanent record" scam at school presumably too.
Reply 8
Original post by Procrastination
You do not NEED chemistry. But many of the highly ranked universities suggest chemistry as it compliments biology. :smile:

Please may I also just ask how you got an A/B in biology?

It is only predicted but I found the exam exceptionally easy, and plus i checked the unofficial mark scheme on TSR and have most of the Q's correct so i'm pretty sure i got at least an B.

I had to do Chemistry and Physics at foundation (only get up to a C in) its what the teachers thought was best. Really annoyed actually, if i put as much effort into chem and physics as i did biology i would probably of been allowed to do it at higher like i did for biology.
Reply 9
Original post by The Mr Z
Do you actually have those results yet? I didn't think they were due yet. You may yet surprise yourself if they're not out yet.

However I can tell you that A-level chemistry is not a requirement for many courses. For some, especially those with a high bio-chemistry component, it is desirable, but for many others, especially those with less content at sub-cellular level it's not needed. (And these courses are the one that are much closer to what you will have been doing thus far in biology - you won't have even touched on biochemistry yet)

No they are my predicted grades, but the chemistry is final because i did that exam in Jan and already have the result for that (C)
Reply 10
Original post by IRL

Ahh, more stellar advise IRL. What part of that statement was incorrect? That employers don't ask for your certificates or that you can be fired if you lie about your qualifications?
Reply 11
Original post by IRL

No, I've actually had to apply for jobs and have looked over the contracts. Never heard of this "permanent record" thing - I've had to send copies of certificates to prospective employers.
Did you not take any other gcses? From what um reading your alevel decisions are more than fine.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Did you not take any other gcses? From what um reading your alevel decisions are more than fine.

I also took History which I probably got a C/B and Enterprise a pass.
I dont know what an EMPA is but we did do ISA's, which is an experiment then under exam conditions answer the questions on it. I got an A* in mine which does count about 10% towards the overall science grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending