Original post by Venom123
Girls... Look no further.

*Initiates eye contact and smiles*

*marries you and has your babies*

Ah, real life is overrated anyway :biggrin:
Original post by Adhsur
*marries you and has your babies*

Ah, real life is overrated anyway :biggrin:

Crud, babies?! This was just suppose to be casual coitus.
Moral of the story: Use a condom.
Reply 242
Original post by Venom123
Crud, babies?! This was just suppose to be casual coitus.
Moral of the story: Use a condom.

Virtual condom?! :eek:
Reply 243
Original post by Chumbaniya
I like the idea, but I worry about it being a limited pool and almost exclusively London based. The trade off for a higher rate of decent options is that there are just far fewer options.

Yeah, I've started to see that now. But like you said - the options are a lot more decent.
Reply 244
"about me : i like having fun ^^"

My experience with online dating so far.
Original post by Adhsur
Virtual condom?! :eek:

OMG brilliant idea, I've copyrighted the idea now so it's practically mine, sorry. You can watch me when I pitch he idea to Dragons Den. Gonna make millions!
Found a girl's profile. She really reminded me of a TSR-user. Just throwing it out there in case she's listening...

Hello! I'm Emily and I'm not looking for anything serious as I'm going away in September to travel, probably for quite a while so there's no point looking for a relationship but there's no harm in something casual, right? And no, not casual sex.

I'm half-Greek, from Durham, have just finished my degree (Biological Sciences if you're interested) at University of Liverpool and I'm currently living in Whitley Bay with the mother to work until I go off on my travels.

I like science, horror films, Harry Potter (you don't need to share this interest, just tolerating it is fine), reading, Indian food, Michael Jackson, any weird psychological films, clever people, Quentin Tarantino, piercings and tattoos (to a limit, I have several piercings, no tattoos yet but overall nothing too weird so neither should you) Lost, Jason Mraz, being lazy, Wagamama and nice teeth.

Things I like in a guy: good hair and slim build, not a fan of shaved heads or bodybuilder types, sorry. Height helps as I'm not a short girl and I can't cope with bad spelling/grammar, including any degree of text talk or shorthand typing, it makes my brain hurt. A bit of ambition and class doesn't go amiss either. Boys who can pull off bow ties and braces (not the toothy kind) make me happy.

Before you read the following, assuming you are even going to (which seems to be rare), please don't assume I 'hate men' or that it refers to any one person. I'm also not bitter over any past relationship at all, I was never on bad terms with any ex. I just don't care for fools. Happy reading.

My observations:
- people who are ****e at spelling actually have no idea they are.
- a lot of males seem to believe that a photo of their bare torso is sufficient to guarantee a reply. Particularly funny are the guys who take topless photos when they have some serious moob/flab thing going on. Those photos aren't obligatory, guys. And they set my douchebag alarm off immediately.
- people who say 'I don't want to give too much away' or some variation of this on their profile, tend to say this as they literally have nothing else to say about anything.
- 95% of guys on here are personal trainers, how odd!
- no one knows what Wagamama is, ever.
- people very often think I've said I'm 'half geek' above, which encourages mild annoyance from hardcore Dungeons and Dragons types.
- people who feel the need to state on their profile that they are funny, good looking or intelligent generally are not that funny, good looking or intelligent.
- some guys seem to think a no-reply means we girls 'didn't see the first message'. Or the second. Or the third. Or in some special cases, the seventh (yes, really). We saw them. We aren't interested.
- guys over the age of 30 messaging a 21 year old are likely to have something fundamentally wrong with them. I get an awful lot of people believing they'll be the exception to this, I'll tell you now - unless you're Danny O'Donoghue, you won't be.
- similarly, guys thinking I'll want to meet up for 'fun' are likely to have something fundamentally wrong with them. If I wanted a one-night stand, I'd go and pick someone up from a bar.
- you're not impressing anyone with your list of 764 obscure bands you like that no one else has heard of.
- you people with only group photos who don't specify which person you are, are idiots.
- you people who send one word messages, are also idiots. YOU BORE ME.
- people with the wrong age on their profile who say they don't know why it's wrong, it's because you entered your own date of birth wrong. Well done, you brainiacs.
- people with angry paragraphs about how girls should reply and say they're not interested instead of saying nothing, get a grip. You know fine well you'd send her back abuse so just take the hint and get over it.
- a worrying number of people who use the words 'liars', 'spontaneous' and 'interests' need to spell-check before they click 'save'.
- if you genuinely believe and/or state that you are 'random', 'crazy', 'hyper' or anything variation of these, please take a flying leap off the nearest cliff, thank you.
- messages consisting of "hi, how are you/you okay" make me die a little inside, if you were trying to catch someone's attention in a bar you'd say something interesting, don't think it's any different on here.
- people who say that they have found someone already but can't work out how to delete their profile, you are morons. And if you've already found someone, why are you still logging into this and viewing profiles anyway?

I'll probably add to this list when I fancy. If I offend you, whoops! But hey, at least you bothered to read my profile.
Reply 247
Second date on Friday.
Reply 248
Had a night of searching through both PoF and okCupid. Probably messaged about 5 girls. No replies yet -_-
Reply 249
Original post by Dark Horse
Found a girl's profile. She really reminded me of a TSR-user. Just throwing it out there in case she's listening...

Hello! I'm Emily and I'm not looking for anything serious as I'm going away in September to travel, probably for quite a while so there's no point looking for a relationship but there's no harm in something casual, right? And no, not casual sex.

I'm half-Greek, from Durham, have just finished my degree (Biological Sciences if you're interested) at University of Liverpool and I'm currently living in Whitley Bay with the mother to work until I go off on my travels.

I like science, horror films, Harry Potter (you don't need to share this interest, just tolerating it is fine), reading, Indian food, Michael Jackson, any weird psychological films, clever people, Quentin Tarantino, piercings and tattoos (to a limit, I have several piercings, no tattoos yet but overall nothing too weird so neither should you) Lost, Jason Mraz, being lazy, Wagamama and nice teeth.

Things I like in a guy: good hair and slim build, not a fan of shaved heads or bodybuilder types, sorry. Height helps as I'm not a short girl and I can't cope with bad spelling/grammar, including any degree of text talk or shorthand typing, it makes my brain hurt. A bit of ambition and class doesn't go amiss either. Boys who can pull off bow ties and braces (not the toothy kind) make me happy.

Before you read the following, assuming you are even going to (which seems to be rare), please don't assume I 'hate men' or that it refers to any one person. I'm also not bitter over any past relationship at all, I was never on bad terms with any ex. I just don't care for fools. Happy reading.

My observations:
- people who are ****e at spelling actually have no idea they are.
- a lot of males seem to believe that a photo of their bare torso is sufficient to guarantee a reply. Particularly funny are the guys who take topless photos when they have some serious moob/flab thing going on. Those photos aren't obligatory, guys. And they set my douchebag alarm off immediately.
- people who say 'I don't want to give too much away' or some variation of this on their profile, tend to say this as they literally have nothing else to say about anything.
- 95% of guys on here are personal trainers, how odd!
- no one knows what Wagamama is, ever.
- people very often think I've said I'm 'half geek' above, which encourages mild annoyance from hardcore Dungeons and Dragons types.
- people who feel the need to state on their profile that they are funny, good looking or intelligent generally are not that funny, good looking or intelligent.
- some guys seem to think a no-reply means we girls 'didn't see the first message'. Or the second. Or the third. Or in some special cases, the seventh (yes, really). We saw them. We aren't interested.
- guys over the age of 30 messaging a 21 year old are likely to have something fundamentally wrong with them. I get an awful lot of people believing they'll be the exception to this, I'll tell you now - unless you're Danny O'Donoghue, you won't be.
- similarly, guys thinking I'll want to meet up for 'fun' are likely to have something fundamentally wrong with them. If I wanted a one-night stand, I'd go and pick someone up from a bar.
- you're not impressing anyone with your list of 764 obscure bands you like that no one else has heard of.
- you people with only group photos who don't specify which person you are, are idiots.
- you people who send one word messages, are also idiots. YOU BORE ME.
- people with the wrong age on their profile who say they don't know why it's wrong, it's because you entered your own date of birth wrong. Well done, you brainiacs.
- people with angry paragraphs about how girls should reply and say they're not interested instead of saying nothing, get a grip. You know fine well you'd send her back abuse so just take the hint and get over it.
- a worrying number of people who use the words 'liars', 'spontaneous' and 'interests' need to spell-check before they click 'save'.
- if you genuinely believe and/or state that you are 'random', 'crazy', 'hyper' or anything variation of these, please take a flying leap off the nearest cliff, thank you.
- messages consisting of "hi, how are you/you okay" make me die a little inside, if you were trying to catch someone's attention in a bar you'd say something interesting, don't think it's any different on here.
- people who say that they have found someone already but can't work out how to delete their profile, you are morons. And if you've already found someone, why are you still logging into this and viewing profiles anyway?

I'll probably add to this list when I fancy. If I offend you, whoops! But hey, at least you bothered to read my profile.

I actually found myself nodding in agreement to what she wrote.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Reply 250
Original post by gemmam
I actually found myself nodding in agreement to what she wrote.

It's not so much that I disagree with her as that she has an obvious superiority complex. It's an indication that, whilst she's smart enough to identify these trends and not fall prey to them, she's not smart enough to realise that she's shooting herself in the foot by going on and on about them, because that is a trend in itself amongst people who want to deliberately distance themselves from the majority of users but don't actually have anything interesting to talk about.

I could understand if she was even slightly amusing in the way she pokes fun, but she's just angry and self-important. She's going to attract moderately intelligent men who think they're really clever, but genuinely intelligent men will look at her as a bit of a child.
Reply 251
It's not so much that I disagree with her as that she has an obvious superiority complex. It's an indication that, whilst she's smart enough to identify these trends and not fall prey to them, she's not smart enough to realise that she's shooting herself in the foot by going on and on about them, because that is a trend in itself amongst people who want to deliberately distance themselves from the majority of users but don't actually have anything interesting to talk about.

I could understand if she was even slightly amusing in the way she pokes fun, but she's just angry and self-important. She's going to attract moderately intelligent men who think they're really clever, but genuinely intelligent men will look at her as a bit of a child.

I agree she does come across as bitter, those things on dating sites annoy me too but I avoid complaining about them on my profile.

Thought I'd share a message I received a few days ago.. this is the first message he has sent me, I haven't replied and he's sending me more odd messages and calling me "mean". Maybe this is a "generic" message he copy and pastes to everyone.. but just wow, especially the part at the end?? haha.
Feel kind of sad for him though, he keeps asking me if we are still friends, but I've not replied to one of his messages. Should I reply?

"hi hun hope your ok xx ive just been to physio thought id ping you a msg xx
like to get to knw you better do u like snuggling up on the sofa with some horror films,cook you some chinese food for dinner have a chat xx
then i would walk you home probly had few beers or get some lambrini for you, i would want to knw that you got home safe also nice for us to walk under the stars
i would walk you to your door then leave as im a gentleman(have a bad boy side tried that im single so)
im a romantic guy buy flowers chocs go on dates cinema or walks along the coast under the moonlight watching the waves crash against the barriers
never taking advantage i like the person im with to feel at ease comfy not pressured.
id always stand by you through the good times and bad, be there at the end of the day for you to talk to im a good listener,all though im no taylor hansen or self obsessed vampire duche wanna be
i would give you the most important things i have both my heart and soul
luv to chat if im not your type hope we can still be friends xx

i would fly up in to the heavens around the ice rings of saturn and collect the gold dust then fly into the heart of a burning star to forge the melting ice gold dust into a necklace just for you"
Original post by Anonymous
Thought I'd share a message I received a few days ago.. this is the first message he has sent me, I haven't replied and he's sending me more odd messages and calling me "mean". Maybe this is a "generic" message he copy and pastes to everyone.. but just wow, especially the part at the end?? haha.
Feel kind of sad for him though, he keeps asking me if we are still friends, but I've not replied to one of his messages. Should I reply?

like to get to knw you better do u like snuggling up on the sofa with some horror films,cook you some chinese food for dinner have a chat xx
then i would walk you home probly had few beers or get some lambrini for you, i would want to knw that you got home safe also nice for us to walk under the stars
i would walk you to your door then leave as im a gentleman(have a bad boy side tried that im single so)
im a romantic guy buy flowers chocs go on dates cinema or walks along the coast under the moonlight watching the waves crash against the barriers
never taking advantage i like the person im with to feel at ease comfy not pressured.
id always stand by you through the good times and bad, be there at the end of the day for you to talk to im a good listener,all though im no taylor hansen or self obsessed vampire duche wanna be

i would fly up in to the heavens around the ice rings of saturn and collect the gold dust then fly into the heart of a burning star to forge the melting ice gold dust into a necklace just for you"

Lol gonna copy and paste this to a few.
Reply 254
Original post by Anonymous

He needs to work on his spelling! :P
But looks like a generic message and if he keeps sending you messages he sounds a bit needy lol
Original post by Dark Horse
Lol gonna copy and paste this to a few.

LOL, I love the poetic ending and "self obsessed vampire duche wanna be" wtf? Oh and the generous offer of Lambrini, you know ALL girls love the stuff. :rolleyes:

Original post by Tizz
He needs to work on his spelling! :P
But looks like a generic message and if he keeps sending you messages he sounds a bit needy lol

Haha bless him, yeah he's sent about 4 messages now so I think I better just not reply.
Reply 256
Original post by gemmam
I agree she does come across as bitter, those things on dating sites annoy me too but I avoid complaining about them on my profile.

You have an awesome phone :biggrin:.

Also, she's not bitter; online dating only really works if you take a rather large dash of cynicism with it. It works by volume; the standard reply rate (for men) is probably 5-15% even given well-crafted messages, beyond that people are both flaky and sometimes misleading, so the conversion rate of dates with reasonable people is tiny. The environment itself is a bit of a microcosm of real life - (men pretty much have to always make the first move, filtering via statistics is grossly exaggerated, appearance is the first point of failure).

Once in a while though, you do meet great people, which goes a long way towards making it worthwhile.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 257
Original post by SunderX
Also, she's not bitter; online dating only really works if you take a rather large dash of cynicism with it.

It's possible to be aware of the reality without defining yourself by it. Plenty of perfectly sensible people would feel the same way she does, but when you use your profile to go on about it you look grumpy and uninteresting. People who are just against things without being for anything else aren't particularly pleasant.
Reply 258
It's possible to be aware of the reality without defining yourself by it. Plenty of perfectly sensible people would feel the same way she does, but when you use your profile to go on about it you look grumpy and uninteresting. People who are just against things without being for anything else aren't particularly pleasant.

She's offering more of a wry point than being truly 'defined' by what she's saying. I'd probably be amused enough to send a message.
Reply 259
Original post by SunderX
She's offering more of a wry point than being truly 'defined' by what she's saying. I'd probably be amused enough to send a message.

I just don't see any humour in it. She's making a big deal about the fact that she's able to read things and notice obvious trends, which I don't consider impressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending