The Student Room Group

How Much Free Time At Sixth Form?

Okay, so in September I am going to start Sixth Form and I was just wondering how much free time you have around Sixth Form and studying, as I currently play football for a Centre Of Excellence, which is a high standard of football and there is training for 2 hours, 3 times a week, and a match on a saturday which takes up most of the day, and i'm thinking this would be too much along with school work and if needs be I will take a break from football as i find my education to be of more importance :L I will be studying English Language, Biology, French, Sport and Phsycology, although i may consider dropping one as 5 is a lot. I'm expected to get As and A*s in my GCSEs. So yeah, i'm just wondering how much free time you have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by KayleighPeters
Okay, so in September I am going to start Sixth Form and I was just wondering how much free time you have around Sixth Form and studying, as I currently play football for a Centre Of Excellence, which is a high standard of football and there is training for 2 hours, 3 times a week, and a match on a saturday which takes up most of the day, and i'm thinking this would be too much along with school work and if needs be I will take a break from football as i find my education to be of more importance :L I will be studying English Language, Biology, French, Sport and Phsycology, although i may consider dropping one as 5 is a lot. I'm expected to get As and A*s in my GCSEs. So yeah, i'm just wondering how much free time you have.

it's usually slightly different between schools/colleges but if you do 5, you will have no free periods.
when I did mine, I did 4 at AS and I had 1 subject's worth of frees - so about 5 frees a week. However you'll find that you need these to do work in and all the other things you need to sort out so most of them aren't 'free'.
I had a pretty busy schedule but I worked better that way - if you're under too much pressure then drop one. I did 4 alongside lacrosse practise and canoeing 5 times a week, and music lessons. So if you manage your time well you should be fine.
Reply 2
Well I doubt you'll have many frees doing 5 subjects, my friend that does 5 only has 1 per week but it would depend on your college.

For most of the year I do minimal work during the week, then do all my homework on Saturday or if it's in during the week I'll just do it as soon as I get it. Sunday I'm out most of the day refereeing so I don't do anything then. I can manage this as I don't get given any essays, just worksheets which are pretty quick to do if I know what I'm doing. I'm basing this entirely on what people at my own college get given, but for French and Eng Lang they get given **** loads of work a week.

I wouldn't give up football if I was you, as you must have worked pretty hard to get where you are :dontknow: I would just do 4 subjects if I were you, as you don't seem too sure about doing 5 anyway.

However, you've got to do what you want to do. Talk to a few teachers and look at the syllabus for each of your subjects to see if you'd cope. GCSEs aren't really an indicator, I didn't get the best results but I'm doing a lot better than some people who got all A/A*s
Depends on the school. In Year 12 I had 9 frees a week and in Year 13 I had 13 frees a week. If I spent even half of those doing school work, I pretty much never had to work at home.

That said, I did anyway.
I have no free periods. After school and weekends are spent procrastinating.

I don't think you'll need to give up football. Or anything really, you'll just need to use your time more efficiently.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you work smart, I didn't getvalll A/A* grades at gcse but I'm doing well now.
Im doing AS and have currently got 13.5hrs a week free, it does get boring after a while.
Reply 6
I did 5 subjects and had 3 frees a week.
Reply 7
Too much.
Reply 8
nill.nada.zero.
I sometimes squeezed about 3-4 hours a day in between october and july, but my study wasn't very efficient or something, so ended up with average A's. I did a full A level in maths, with 3 AS levels in art, physics and biology (so had the potential for an A*).
Reply 9
3 hours a week time off.
Reply 10
I had quite a bit but because I found my subjects hard this was always reduceded to studying so from about 12ish hours free i think I had 1 hour a week where work wasnt the main concern for my free's.
Reply 11
Honestly I recommend doing 4 AS levels then continuing 3 onto A2. If you do that you will pretty much have quite a lot of free time. But that said ask yourself do you want A*s or Ds. Organise your time well and you should survive everything sixth form throws at you. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
I do 5 a/s classes and have around 5 hours free a week (my friend does 4 and has 8 hours, it all depends!)
If you were at my college and you did 5 AS subjects you would get no frees at all and they've already started to prove invaluable, unless you're really passionate, just do 4.
Reply 14
I'm in year 13 and have 6 hours free a week excluding all the mere 15 minute breaks which are pointless in my opinion. In year 12 my time table was messed up and i had way too much free time that i actually skipped some of my lessons because i couldn't be bothered waiting for my next lesson. This year it's not as bad though 4 hours on Monday and 2 hours on Friday. 4 Hours is enough to get tons done and if i finish work early or have nothing to do i usually go to the library and read the newspaper and/or read a novel.
Am in Year 12 and I do four AS levels, with four frees a week and then I have an extended project lesson for one or two of them: so 2-3 frees a week :smile:
3-5 hours a week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending