The Student Room Group

mobile speed camera van in 30mph zone..

So i was comming back from school today and I normally drive within speed limit haha :redface: because my school 4.5 miles away and there are 3 cameras on the way to school and sometimes there are also mobile camera vans in like 2 or 3 different places :angry: a bit extreme but yh :L

anyways its a 30mph zone, I'm preety sure that i was within speed limit but i might be like 31mph on the speedometer? don't think it was 32..
i heard its 10% tolerance ? does it include the speed camera vans as well? or just those yellow box cameras?

What speed are the cameras set at for one to receive points and fine? What speed on the speedometer would trigger the camera?

Also anyone heard of those speed watch people? a few of my friends received a warning from them because they went past their camera faster than 30... No points no fines. Just a warning letter.
Any one else heard of them?
btw i live in bucks...
Reply 1
Original post by zahir27

anyways its a 30mph zone, I'm preety sure that i was within speed limit but i might be like 31mph on the speedometer? don't think it was 32..
i heard its 10% tolerance ? does it include the speed camera vans as well? or just those yellow box cameras?

What speed are the cameras set at for one to receive points and fine? What speed on the speedometer would trigger the camera?

As far as I am aware the tolerance is just a guideline, police forces are not required to follow the guidelines so if you exceed the speed limit at all you could get caught. There is probably going to be a very slight tolerance for equipment error regardless though.

I would expect a speed camera to be triggered if you were traveling at around 32-34mph on your speedometer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scott1541
As far as I am aware the tolerance is just a guideline

True.

However, the guideline is pretty much de facto. You may have heard of the 'speed awareness course' that you have the option to do. The range of speed to be applicable for that (as stated on my councils website http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/the-speed-awareness-course.html) is as follows:
36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 & 42 MPH in a 30 MPH Limit
47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 & 53 MPH in a 40 MPH Limit
58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 & 64 MPH in a 50 MPH Limit
69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 & 75 MPH in a 60 MPH Limit
80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 & 86 MPH in a 70 MPH Limit

So essentially it is >+10% + 3mph and then a 6mph range.

This most certainly suggests the de facto rule is just that. If you got 3 points for doing 31 or 32 in a 30 from a Gatso (static) camera, then you should go and buy a lottery ticket.
Reply 3
Original post by MrC
True.

However, the guideline is pretty much de facto. You may have heard of the 'speed awareness course' that you have the option to do. The range of speed to be applicable for that (as stated on my councils website http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/the-speed-awareness-course.html) is as follows:
36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 & 42 MPH in a 30 MPH Limit
47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 & 53 MPH in a 40 MPH Limit
58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 & 64 MPH in a 50 MPH Limit
69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 & 75 MPH in a 60 MPH Limit
80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 & 86 MPH in a 70 MPH Limit

So essentially it is >+10% + 3mph and then a 6mph range.

This most certainly suggests the de facto rule is just that. If you got 3 points for doing 31 or 32 in a 30 from a Gatso (static) camera, then you should go and buy a lottery ticket.

thanks :biggrin: :biggrin: feel so much better... I also found a few links my self which show exactly what you found!!! So i'm guessing im safe
just don't want a letter home haha parents wont be happy if i do :redface:
Reply 4
Also speedos tend to show a couple of MPH faster than you are actually going.
Reply 5
Original post by zahir27
So i was comming back from school today and I normally drive within speed limit haha :redface: because my school 4.5 miles away and there are 3 cameras on the way to school and sometimes there are also mobile camera vans in like 2 or 3 different places :angry: a bit extreme but yh :L

Also anyone heard of those speed watch people? a few of my friends received a warning from them because they went past their camera faster than 30... No points no fines. Just a warning letter.
Any one else heard of them?
btw i live in bucks...

The speedometer often shows a slightly higher speed than you're doing, too. I noticed this on a trip comparing the speed shown on my sat nav and the speed on my speedometer. I now factor in this little extra as I drive, though, which is probably not the best of ideas.:colondollar: So darn impatient.
Reply 6
The speedometers in cars are allowed to read 0-10% higher than the actual speed you're travelling, but never slower than your actual speed. So although it says you're doing 30, you might actually be at more like 27-28.

The speed camera boxes can be set up for whatever speed, but the 'rule of thumb' is +10% +3mph... So that's 36mph for a 30. However, they don't have to be, and the police can legally stop you for any speed over the limit (even a 31) but it's incredibly unlikely that they'd bother. That sort of speed isn't really a major hazard. I've heard people being caught for doing a 75 in a 70, even though there were other cars doing 80-85 around them. The police just probably wanted an easy catch.
Reply 7
Original post by Cocklebur
The speedometer often shows a slightly higher speed than you're doing, too. I noticed this on a trip comparing the speed shown on my sat nav and the speed on my speedometer. I now factor in this little extra as I drive, though, which is probably not the best of ideas.:colondollar: So darn impatient.

A sat nav isn't always spot on for speed either, so don't rely on it absolutely to avoid speeding tickets!
Reply 8
If you get a letter with a fine and points, then just write to the police that caught you (Bucks Police?) explaining that you are not the type of person to speed etc.

My friend got caught doing 62 in a 50 and got flashed by a Gatso. She didn't get offered the course but when she wrote to the police and basically gave them a sob story and apologised a million times over she got offered the speed awareness course.

Anyways I think you'll be OK going 31/32 in a 30 :smile:
Reply 9
As our advanced driving examiners say -

There is speeding and THERE IS SPEEDING

The worse drivers are those who are over the limit for more than 2 or 3 seconds and do not realise it
Reply 10
Oh... Because I have been on a 30 road and my sat nav has said I'm only doing 24 or so mph when doing 30 in my car.
If I'm apparently doing 35 in my car, the sat nav reads 30. So I've always gone by that and sort of drove between 30 and 35 in a 30 zone.
Nothing has happened yet, but if I saw cameras, I would probably drop to the actual mark as I'm aware your speedo isn't accurate either

So you will be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Got cought by weir mobile. Was speeding 50mph on 30mph. It's 1st time since I got my licence for years ago. Woundeing what outcome could be?
Original post by Irfan 786
Got cought by weir mobile. Was speeding 50mph on 30mph. It's 1st time since I got my licence for years ago. Woundeing what outcome could be?

This thread is from 2012! Please check the dates in future!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Irfan 786

You were ~ 67% over the speed limit, and in a 30mph zone, this is unacceptable. If you get a court summons, you'll likely be losing your licence due to the New Drivers Act - if you only get a fixed penalty notice, you're lucky.

You're an absolute moron - get off the roads.

Original post by RoyalSheepy
snip

Closing the thread for the reason @RoyalSheepy noted - this thread hasn't had a reply since 2012. Make your own.