Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Overweight and I hate it!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never written down my thoughts about my weight until now, but something has got to change, and I am hoping that I can draw some inspriation from any potential replies I receive on this thread!

I am 24 years old, I am nearly 6ft and I weigh nealy 18 stone - horrendous!

The problem is I love my food, and I know I need to cut back. I do enjoy exercising too, but quite often do too much (say like 7 1 hr walks a week) and then lose motivation, because I feel shattered and it becomes a chore.

If I put my mind to it I know that I could lose a stone in the next 30 days, but I need the motivation to continue and to keep the weight off.

I've set myself a target that I'd like to be 13.5 stone at Christmas (I know I've got no chance, but I really, really want to give it a go.)

I suppose what I want from this thread, is for some ideas on how to keep that motivation going and some of your best tips to lose weight and keep it off! I am always up for a challenge, but I feel that this could be a challenge too far!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Join gym...do 45-60 mins of weights and then 30 mins of cardio and do that 3x a week. On your non gym days do those walks or some other form of exercise. With your diet just cut out the crap first and go from there.

Maybe try and find a form of exercise or sport you enjoy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    From the sounds of it, you know what you need to do to lose weight, and nobody ever likes to constantly hear, "Stop eating so much of that delicious cake," or "Get to the gym, fatty." We know that already, and it isn't nice to hear.

What most people need is support, so try places like TSR, myfitnesspal, tumblr etc. There's lots of lovely people out there to help motivate and support you. For some real life help, let your friends/family know what you're doing. Maybe convince someone to be your gym buddy. Take some pictures in your pants, so you can see the changes in your body in a week/month/year's time.

Just remember that having the occasional off day isn't the end of the world. Food does taste nice and exercise can be a right pain. Be proud of the positive change you are making in your life!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_96)
    I've never written down my thoughts about my weight until now, but something has got to change, and I am hoping that I can draw some inspriation from any potential replies I receive on this thread!

The problem is I love my food, and I know I need to cut back. I do enjoy exercising too, but quite often do too much (say like 7 1 hr walks a week) and then lose motivation, because I feel shattered and it becomes a chore.

If I put my mind to it I know that I could lose a stone in the next 30 days, but I need the motivation to continue and to keep the weight off.

I've set myself a target that I'd like to be 13.5 stone at Christmas (I know I've got no chance, but I really, really want to give it a go.)

I suppose what I want from this thread, is for some ideas on how to keep that motivation going and some of your best tips to lose weight and keep it off! I am always up for a challenge, but I feel that this could be a challenge too far!

Thanks.
    So you eat too much and think that 1hrs worth of walking a day is 'too much' exercise.

This is why you are overweight.

Do something about it in a sensible and sustainable way.

You won't though because it's obvious that you're not that fussed because you're already rationalizing your failure.

If on the off chance you are serious and aren't just someone who likes to moan yet makes no effort to make a positive change, do the following:

Eat less and better- this really isn't a difficult concept. You know what's good for you and what isn't. Eat right 90% of the time and you won't go far wrong.

Join a gym- Get on a basic barbell strength routine and work on your conditioning. Lift weights 3x per week (ala starting strength or stronglifts 5x5) and do something cardio-wise every day. Start with walking. When you've dropped some weight add in sprints 3-4x per week in addition to the daily (or near daily) walking.

Not difficult. Fad diets/routines don't work. People will fall for anything except common sense.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    So you eat too much and think that 1hrs worth of walking a day is 'too much' exercise.

This is why you are overweight.

Do something about it in a sensible and sustainable way.

You won't though because it's obvious that you're not that fussed because you're already rationalizing your failure.

If on the off chance you are serious and aren't just someone who likes to moan yet makes no effort to make a positive change, do the following:

Eat less and better- this really isn't a difficult concept. You know what's good for you and what isn't. Eat right 90% of the time and you won't go far wrong.

Join a gym- Get on a basic barbell strength routine and work on your conditioning. Lift weights 3x per week (ala starting strength or stronglifts 5x5) and do something cardio-wise every day. Start with walking. When you've dropped some weight add in sprints 3-4x per week in addition to the daily (or near daily) walking.

Not difficult. Fad diets/routines don't work. People will fall for anything except common sense.
    Agree. Unfortunately this is the hard truth. A lot of overweight people just aren't willing to work hard enough in the gym. Dont be one of those people OP. Just keep in mind you don't need to spend more than an hour in the gym (less for cardio). It's not THAT difficult to give it your all and get out. Doing weights, intensity is everything not length. The bottom line is you're gonna have to exert yourself and in time you'll learn to enjoy that sensation.

If you are more concerned about weight loss than strength gains, I recommend alternating full upper body and lower body workouts (eg Bill Philip's workouts, Amazon) 3 times a week, with cardio in the days in between or in the same days if you're up for it. It isn't easy by any means but it works and you'll see huge results in 3 months-- I've done it before. For strength and bulking up Starting Strength is a better programme.

Also think about starting a sport. You can substitute this for cardio whether it's boxing, badminton, swimming or cycling it doesn't matter. It's a lot more fun than a boring treadmill or stationary bike and you'll probably find you're working even harder at the same time. There are lots of beginner groups, just take the first step.

Getting fit and strong is easier the more you do it. Just realise the curve at the beginning is steeper but with a little bit of effort you can overcome it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Everything bold is lies, cut it out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you're in less denial than most fat people. you're still in denial about some things tho
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell them how tall you are, how much you weigh, and how much you want to lose.
    They will then give you a number of calories to aim for, and an amount of exercise that you should be doing. Can't go wrong really, it's very easy. I was over 18 stone too once, and now I'm 11st 6, so don't think you can't do it, because you CAN.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can do it. The hardest part is starting! Within a few weeks of consistent work, it's easy. You actually find yourself looking forward to working out! You will work your life around the gym once you get to a point. Trust me.

Just eat well. Healthy food. If you think that the food is bad for you, it probably is, don't eat it! Eat some good foods. Chicken breast with some nice spices on with potatoes and mixed vegetables. Lean mince lasagne, lean mince chilli. Just learn to cook for yourself. When other people cook for you, that's when people can eat bad!

Join a gym, set up a work out routine which builds muscle in all parts of your body.

Something like this should be good:

Monday:
    Legs and shoulders with a 10 minute run/walk
    Squats, leg press all 3 sets of 8-12 then isolate on random machines. Stretch your legs before and after this because you will be in agony the next day otherwise!

Dumbbell Shoulder press/military press, reverse flies, lat raises, shrugs. Again, all 3 sets of 8-12

Tuesday:
    Rest day first week and second to allow the aches of squats to ease a little then start a cardio session here for 30 mins.

Wednesday:
    Chest and Triceps

Bench press (Dumbbell or barbell), cable flies, tricep dips and then random isolation work. All 3 sets of 8-12

Thursday:
    Cardio for 30 mins.

Friday:
    Back and biceps.

Deadlift, dumbbell rows, lat pull downs then do some curls for the girls on the biceps. Again, you should know by now, 3 sets of 8-12.

This is a basic explanation because I've wrote the full one up so many times for little to no rep, but hope this helps you a little and guides you in the right direction. Good luck. Good bodies are not formed in a week, a month or even a year. It takes dedication. Eat well, train hard. If you feel tired, take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, are you happy?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Buddy, PLEASE read this, okay?

99% of your weight is caused by your diet, unless you have odd genes. In this I mean if you reduce the amount you eat you don't even need to do exercise and
    the weight will fly off. I managed to lose 1 stone in a month (from 12 9 to 11 10) simply by not eating chocolate, crisps and cake - not snacking between meals - and replacing everything with healthier alternatives.

Completely cut out the processed food. I don't care what the label says about kcal or carbs, it's ALL bad for you (as far as we care right now). Processed food contains SUGAR to bolster it up, this is a big cause of the obesity issues society now faces. Personally I never ate many processed meals as my parents cook everything from fresh, but the snacks I ate were processed and cutting them out did a lot.

There is a biological 'thing' known as sugar addiction, and it exists. We are meant to want, crave, love sugar because it's difficult to obtain naturally. Well now we can farm cain it is no longer difficult, yet out bodies still desire it as a result of X-million years of evolutions. Cain / processed sugar contains no nutrients, it's known as 'empty calories' because it is just that! It is simply energy in sugar form, spiking your insulin and causing weight gain (to do with the insulin response). Your body needs to use up nutrients it has stored from other foods to process and metabolise it - THIS SHOULDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN. Cut out all processed foods/sugars and eat fruits instead, much healthier and providing nutrition too, for less calories.

To sum up, the easiest way to lose weight is to change your diet. It will be HARD for the first week or two but after that, not eating sugar will make you feel REFRESHED and HAPPY. I've been there.
    • Fresh veg (as much as possible, frozen is okay but NO processed junk - I don't known about pre-prepped)
    • Fresh meat from the counter if you can afford it. Anything not processed too much. To extrapolate - steak, chicken, lamb, pork, FISH - LOTS OF FISH. Living on an island I often forget but fish is a good part of the diet and the months eating it feel better than those not. You can buy a WHOLE chicken for not much, £4 over here so many £2-£3 in the UK and then learn to gut and prep it. Saved you a wad of cash and feels rewarding for making your own foods.

That horrible list of what not to eat, well you can make your own judgement but I often think of it like this: "If I wouldn't feed it to the dog (ie it's bad for dogs) then I won't eat it myself" (Doesn't apply the other way.... don't go eating dead rabbits!)
    • No crisps, No chocolate
    • Cut processed foods - eg NO RUSTLERS eww eww no!
    • No chippies, no chinese, etc. *NO MACCY Ds or any other of those chains you have* Anything you want, make it yourself. Use olive oil for cooking and you can re-use it after some dishes (eg for chips strain and re-use).
    • Cut back on the beer and alch if you drink. Beer is like liquid bread
    • Also even if they're from the meat counter, avoid burgers for now. The condiments with them and the bread cause weight gain

Thats it for now, I can't think of anything immediately.

If, after cooking all this food you have time, hit the gym for the weights and go cycling in fresh air, feels great. However as I said most of my weight loss was due to my diet change. After a while it slowed down, Christmas caused a slight spike but nothing major - I then went from 11 6 down to 10 10 which was ridiculous. This over the course of 2 or 3 months but still.. At this time I was occasionally eating chocolate but still no crisps or processed/takeaways/etc. Recently I think I've started gaining because we had a load of home-made cakes with all the fruit lying around, and also burgers because BBQ. So cutting out this (oh and I was eating more choc, nervous.. exams) makes a huge difference.

You won't get a super quick fix, but the dietary change will affect you within a couple of weeks and you'll feel amazing. Feel free to PM me or whatever if you need advice or motivation - and also check out reddit.com/r/keto and reddit.com/r/paleo and reddit.com/r/fitness - the last one is good if you intend to build lean and they're supportive subs.

To finish- change diet, hit gym, get regular sleep schedule.

OH AND I FORGOT - NO SOFT DRINKS - Only water if you can. If you must, perhaps a cordial or fruit juice (pure - not smoothies unless home made from fruit only)

Happy hunting
    nPup
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please read the stickies in this forum, especially the FAQ thread and the green thread in the nutrition forum. They contain lots of essential information that you're wondering about here. I've put them in my sig so you can handily just click on them
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nPuppy)
    Buddy, PLEASE read this, okay?

99% of your weight is caused by your diet, unless you have odd genes. In this I mean if you reduce the amount you eat you don't even need to do exercise and
    the weight will fly off. I managed to lose 1 stone in a month (from 12 9 to 11 10) simply by not eating chocolate, crisps and cake - not snacking between meals - and replacing everything with healthier alternatives.

Completely cut out the processed food. I don't care what the label says about kcal or carbs, it's ALL bad for you (as far as we care right now). Processed food contains SUGAR to bolster it up, this is a big cause of the obesity issues society now faces. Personally I never ate many processed meals as my parents cook everything from fresh, but the snacks I ate were processed and cutting them out did a lot.

There is a biological 'thing' known as sugar addiction, and it exists. We are meant to want, crave, love sugar because it's difficult to obtain naturally. Well now we can farm cain it is no longer difficult, yet out bodies still desire it as a result of X-million years of evolutions. Cain / processed sugar contains no nutrients, it's known as 'empty calories' because it is just that! It is simply energy in sugar form, spiking your insulin and causing weight gain (to do with the insulin response). Your body needs to use up nutrients it has stored from other foods to process and metabolise it - THIS SHOULDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN. Cut out all processed foods/sugars and eat fruits instead, much healthier and providing nutrition too, for less calories.

To sum up, the easiest way to lose weight is to change your diet. It will be HARD for the first week or two but after that, not eating sugar will make you feel REFRESHED and HAPPY. I've been there.
    • Fresh veg (as much as possible, frozen is okay but NO processed junk - I don't known about pre-prepped)
    • Fresh meat from the counter if you can afford it. Anything not processed too much. To extrapolate - steak, chicken, lamb, pork, FISH - LOTS OF FISH. Living on an island I often forget but fish is a good part of the diet and the months eating it feel better than those not. You can buy a WHOLE chicken for not much, £4 over here so many £2-£3 in the UK and then learn to gut and prep it. Saved you a wad of cash and feels rewarding for making your own foods.

That horrible list of what not to eat, well you can make your own judgement but I often think of it like this: "If I wouldn't feed it to the dog (ie it's bad for dogs) then I won't eat it myself" (Doesn't apply the other way.... don't go eating dead rabbits!)
    • No crisps, No chocolate
    • Cut processed foods - eg NO RUSTLERS eww eww no!
    • No chippies, no chinese, etc. *NO MACCY Ds or any other of those chains you have* Anything you want, make it yourself. Use olive oil for cooking and you can re-use it after some dishes (eg for chips strain and re-use).
    • Cut back on the beer and alch if you drink. Beer is like liquid bread
    • Also even if they're from the meat counter, avoid burgers for now. The condiments with them and the bread cause weight gain

Thats it for now, I can't think of anything immediately.

If, after cooking all this food you have time, hit the gym for the weights and go cycling in fresh air, feels great. However as I said most of my weight loss was due to my diet change. After a while it slowed down, Christmas caused a slight spike but nothing major - I then went from 11 6 down to 10 10 which was ridiculous. This over the course of 2 or 3 months but still.. At this time I was occasionally eating chocolate but still no crisps or processed/takeaways/etc. Recently I think I've started gaining because we had a load of home-made cakes with all the fruit lying around, and also burgers because BBQ. So cutting out this (oh and I was eating more choc, nervous.. exams) makes a huge difference.

You won't get a super quick fix, but the dietary change will affect you within a couple of weeks and you'll feel amazing. Feel free to PM me or whatever if you need advice or motivation - and also check out reddit.com/r/keto and reddit.com/r/paleo and reddit.com/r/fitness - the last one is good if you intend to build lean and they're supportive subs.

To finish- change diet, hit gym, get regular sleep schedule.

OH AND I FORGOT - NO SOFT DRINKS - Only water if you can. If you must, perhaps a cordial or fruit juice (pure - not smoothies unless home made from fruit only)

Happy hunting
    nPup
    Excellent post.
    Saw a documentary about fructose and leptin resistance. It's shocking that low fat food is so fattening. They're lying to everyone with all that sugar substituted in. Americans got it worse with HFCS in everything.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Excellent post.
    Saw a documentary about fructose and leptin resistance. It's shocking that low fat food is so fattening. They're lying to everyone with all that sugar substituted in. Americans got it worse with HFCS in everything.
    was it the BBC one "the men who made the world fat"? quite enjoyed that but nothing new I'd never heard/read before
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _vilaseca_)
    walking is not exercise
    Yes....it is.

Anyway regarding the OP.

Well done for realising that your fat and that you want to change.

You could lose a decent amount of work if you really put your mind to it, and its not easy when your faced with non stop temptations.

What you need:
    A gym membership - You could lose weight without using the gym but losing such a large amount with no resistance workouts leads to a higher chance of loose skin and you dont want that. If you cant afford the gym then buy some dumbbells and do some workouts at home they come cheap at around £30.

Set of gym clothes- 3 times a week going to the gym so 3 sets of t shirts and say 1/2 pairs of pants. Also some comfortable trainers which are easy on your feet.

Tools- Such as a body weight scale, myfitnesspal.com food log(or just a notebook). Most importantly you will need a good food scale.

Nutrition
    Dont think that just eating healthy or less food means you will lose fat, you might lose weight if you eat less but rather muscle loss and not fat.

Figure out your BMR and daily calorie intake ( google the online calculators)

Shop for healthy foods with low calories and high protein.

Remember to get good results it equals to 80% nutrition and 20% activity

Exercise
    Keep your workouts around 45 mins-1hour so that you dont get bored and as weeks go by you dont feel fed up.

If you walk for an hour, then walk fast until you start to feel it.

Check for some workouts to follow and change every week.

Motivation
    Find your favourite workout music and make a playlist

Get some motivational posters/ change your desktop wallpaper to something which motivates you.

Check progress pictures of others to see that if they can do it so can you.

Good luck pal
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    was it the BBC one "the men who made the world fat"? quite enjoyed that but nothing new I'd never heard/read before
    First half was nonsensical and bordering on a consipiracy theory.

The second half was quite good, mainly because it slammed "low fat" diets.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'v always wanted to lose weight, and have never had the motivation and knowledge to untill this summer. The way I motivated myself and informed myself was through watching youtube videos. Both about nutrition and weight loss. I would reccommend these users to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/user/leansecr...e=results_main
    http://www.youtube.com/user/psychetruth

Psyche truth is actually amazing, and makes me want to eat soooo much healthier. The woman who does most of the weight loss and nutrition videos, Corina (the one with blondey curly hair), is really persuasive and makes you wonder why you ever ate like crap in the first place.

Good luck!!!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    I thought that was ok. Not enough depth but interesting. The one I was referring to is actually a lecture by Dr Lustig who appeared on that show. It was an eye opener for me considering how much fructose we consume per year. Glad I took A level biology, some of the biochem actually made sense.

Here it is:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _vilaseca_)
    erm, i repeat, walking is not exercise, hence the reason no one loses any weight from walking
    You dont lose weight from exercise alone, you can walk and lose weight as long as your diet is in check e.g you have your calorie deficit. Go then walk, any movement = calories being used so therefore walking can be used to lose weight.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.