The Student Room Group

Want to do history at Oxbridge. What AS levels should I pick?

Hi,

I have no idea if this thread is dead but I would just like to ask if the following AS-Levels would be suitable for a place at Oxbridge:

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

Any advice would be great :smile: Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by colourtheory
Hi,

I have no idea if this thread is dead but I would just like to ask if the following AS-Levels would be suitable for a place at Oxbridge:

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

You need to check individual college requirements. Some will specify exactly which subjects they are looking for, and may explicitly exclude others.
Hi,

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

Oxbridge don't really think much of photography, that said, doing it at AS then dropping it at A2 wouldn't do you much harm. Make sure you think carefully about doing 5 ASs as well, it's pretty difficult.
Reply 3
History and English Literature are the only decent ones on there, especially for Oxbridge who are generally picky with their subjects. Just being honest.
Reply 4
I'd say History is a given...
Hi,

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

Photography and GD are a lot of work like art, if you know what I mean. Although considered "soft subjects" - it's still a lot of work, so just bare that in mind.

Even if your school allows you to do 5 ASs, I would seriously consider doing only 4 and then keeping all 4 onto A2 if you like. I did 5 ASs, but two of them were Maths (and Further maths) and they go hand in hand, so it really was like doing 1. It was a lot of work. Sounds stupid to reiterate but it is. Although, it's kept me organised for 2 whole years. Main thing is, if you love the subjects - the workload is fine, despite the fact that you constantly get very very jealous of people having 'frees' and a 'weekend' when you are stuck in doors doing work. Or when you envy them because they have 5 exams compared to your 8 or something like that. (I did 12 in Y12 and doing 8 for Y13 - a lot I know!) So just be aware of that.

History of course is a given. I would say English will help develop your essay writing skills. As for the others, they all demonstrate different skills. History of art is a good link to history as well as many of the analysis techniques might come in handy. Don't be put off to drop photography or GD if others are telling you that they're "soft". It's more work than people can anticipate sometimes.

If you're looking at Oxbridge, having more A levels doesn't make your application shine that much more - having "soft" subjects doesn't dim it either. I would say your personal statement, the HAT, and stuff like work experience is what they're looking for.

Solid good grades along with a good personal statement, reference and good HAT score will see you in the interview stage. :smile:
[HAT is only for Oxford]

History of Art
Photography
Graphic Design

Generally it's best to have 3 'traditional academic subjects' and I suspect that the above don't fall in to that category. So I would probably suggest that you don't have those as part of your main 3 A-levels (as an AS or a 4th A-level would be fine).

If you're particularly set on them maybe check the university websites or contact them to confirm whether that is the case.
Hi,

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

History of Art, Photography and Graphic Design are not strenous subjects
Reply 8
If you look at the Oxford and Cambridge university websites, or go to the Russell group university website, you can find information on there about which A level subjects would be advisable/combinations etc- the subjects that those universities particularly like.
However you also want to enjoy what you are studying for 2 years too, not just choose "useful" subjects.
Hope that might help!
Reply 9
Cambridge would not look favourably on Photography or Graphic Design, especially for a history degree.
You need to be doing history (obviously), English Lit is fine, then something equally academic like a language, science or another humanity (philosophy, geography etc). The suggestion is that you do at least 2 essay based subjects to develop your essay writing skills - there are a LOT of essays to write.
There was, once upon a time, a list of subjects that Cambridge would not accept a A2. I don't know if it's still available or relevant, but it included things like photography and graphics.
And they don't accept Critical Thinking or General Studies as one of your three A2s.
Original post by llessur123
History and English Literature are the only decent ones on there, especially for Oxbridge who are generally picky with their subjects. Just being honest.

I'm pretty sure History of Art is a strong A Level too.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It's on the generably suitable arts list :smile: ^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
English Literature and a language. They love both subjects!
Reply 12
I went to a lecture/presentation on how to choose AS levels in Cambridge a few years ago when I was looking into studying History at Oxbridge.

(Quick background info: applied to Oxford, got an interview, then rejected.)

They said there were FOUR core subjects that they are looking for which strengthen an application for an arts, their "primary list":

English Literature, History, Language, Maths.

You've got two, which is great :smile: and by experience, they are extremely useful.
Languages are not everyone's cup of tea and Maths isn't either but I suggest you replace Maths with another logic-based subject.

History of Art is good, because you're playing upon the "History" element and it will be useful.

Your art subjects however, Photography and Graphic Design, were both in their "third" list of suggested subjects. Keep one maybe, for a fifth subject if you like, but like someone said above I can imagine they are a huge amount of work, particularly for the lack of gain you will get.

Ever thought about Economics? Any university offering History will love that - it's quite difficult but really impressive if you do well. Plus it would work well as a replacement of the "logic" element.

Hope this helps :smile: happy choosing, I suggest you do so wisely. Contrary to what many think, the type of A Levels ARE important and do serve as a first impression.
Hi,

History
History of Art
English Literature
Photography
Graphic Design

History of Art and History is generally seen as a weak combination.
Photography and/or Graphic Design would completely sink any application if you kept them as A2s (as you would have to with at least one of them).

So, History, English Literature and how about two from Geography, Sciences, a Language, Maths, possibly even one of Psychology or Philosophy.
Original post by SleepySheep

You are right; my girlfriend has an offer for English at Cambridge with a History of Art A2.
I'd say keep history and English lit, but maybe switch history of art and photography for something more "rigorous" is Oxbridge's eyes-maybe politics and a language. What about maybe doing a science to show breadth?
History, English Lit, and a language is the ideal subject combination.

History of Art would be the best of the others you suggested.
I'm applying to Cambridge next year, and I've been told I have appropriate subjects:

English Literature (A2)
Biology (A2)
History (A2)
Maths (AS)

I'm also gonna see if I can get an AS in Spanish in my gap year. :smile:

Personally with yours i'd stick with English Lit, History and even History of Art because it is a respected subject. But I'd choose between Graphics and Photography, and if you really wanna do 5 a levels do something like maths or a language or classics.
Reply 18
Original post by Lizj

There was, once upon a time, a list of subjects that Cambridge would not accept a A2.

I got the trinity college cambridge prospectus which provided a list of suitable, unsuitable and "only acceptable as a 4th as" subjects. Bit pretentious but history, history of art and English lit are all suitable, photography and gd are seen as appropriate 4th subjects. Hope this helps.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by SleepySheep

I've never really heard of it before at A-level so I wasn't expecting that, I stand corrected!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending