The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
No, that question in the jan12 paper wanted you to say a directional hypothesis, and therefore anything regarding a difference will be regarded as non directional which will obviously score 0.

Yes this asked for a correlation, but you're wrong regarding the argument about the jan12 markscheme.

Right so you're saying they're going to give you 3/3 marks for this paper for a non-directional hypothesis saying "there will be difference between musical ability (as operationalised by score on the scale) and mathematical ability (as operationalised by mark on the GCSE exam)"?

Even though in the text it clearly stated correlation, which is wrong to say difference as it's not an experiment?
Interesting...

EDIT: lol at you're frustration
Original post by alexissocool
Right so you're saying they're going to give you 3/3 marks for this paper for a non-directional hypothesis saying "there will be difference between musical ability (as operationalised by score on the scale) and mathematical ability (as operationalised by mark on the GCSE exam)"?

Even though in the text it clearly stated correlation, which is wrong to say difference as it's not an experiment?
Interesting...

EDIT: lol at you're frustration

No, I didn't say that. I agree that they wont give full marks for the difference thing.
What you were talking about for the jan12 paper was irrelevant because that markscheme was for a directional hypothesis, where a difference would defo score 0 as thats non directional. What this markscheme says will be different, and it defo shouldnt score 0.
Original post by EffKayy
No, I didn't say that. I agree that they wont give full marks for the difference thing.
What you were talking about for the jan12 paper was irrelevant because that markscheme was for a directional hypothesis, where a difference would defo score 0 as thats non directional. What this markscheme says will be different, and it defo shouldnt score 0.

Well you have your opinion and I have mine. There was no need to get rude and arrogant about it though with the "can you not read" comment and the "kthx" makes you sound so arrogant.

Nonetheless, good luck for results day. I'm sure you'll have your A or A*. Fingers crossed for me too. You prepared for Bio5 on Friday?
Reply 4643
Original post by alexissocool
Well you have your opinion and I have mine. There was no need to get rude and arrogant about it though with the "can you not read" comment and the "kthx" makes you sound so arrogant.

Nonetheless, good luck for results day. I'm sure you'll have your A or A*. Fingers crossed for me too. You prepared for Bio5 on Friday?

ive done nothing for bio 5 i dunno wat to do

psycho seems so much nicer than bio!
Reply 4644
Did you have to evaluate on the case study question for interventions on the addiction question?
Original post by YB101
Does anyone know how many UMS overall is needed for a B (out of 400)

Don't know if anyone has answered this already?
But it's 280/400 for a B I think :smile:
Should be 70% :smile:
Original post by ohio12
yoouu don't understand how much better that has made me feel :biggrin:

haha i'm glad it has :smile: i'm sure you would have done well :biggrin:
Original post by clairelouise444
does anyone want to predict the grade boundaires?
for every exam ive consistently got over 90 ums :frown:
and this exam i genuinely believe I could have got less than i need to get my A
someone please reassure me :'(

you usually have to get about 65-70 raw marks for 100 UMS which makes it about 50-55 to get 80 UMS which is an A..

You already have at least 270 UMS so you only need another 50 to get an A overall which is 36 raw marks. :smile:

It will be fine & good luck for results day! :smile:
Original post by grade8
aww i see now. thank you, i hope you've done well too! :smile:

I've been obsessing over this to see if it's possible to get an A* so all of these figures are embedded in my head! ..
Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 4649
Original post by joshadams
Going on past years grade boundaries it will be between 50-53 out of 85. I need similar and the low grade boundaries are the only thing giving me any hope haha.

I suppose that isn't too bad, thank you!
It's just because I haven't messed up as such; I just know I should have performed much better than I did, so i'm praying that i'll still get my A*

Just a few silly things in research methods really, but anomalistic and OCD were fine!
Reply 4650
Original post by ihavenousername
You will need 96 UMS (or more); I think it's an average of 90 that gives you the A*

No, I mean that I got 96UMS in PSYA3, so I only need 84UMS in the PSYA4 exam we've just done, sorry!
So yeah, I was just wondering roughly how many marks 84UMS typically is if anyone knows?
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
No, I mean that I got 96UMS in PSYA3, so I only need 84UMS in the PSYA4 exam we've just done, sorry!
So yeah, I was just wondering roughly how many marks 84UMS typically is if anyone knows?

about 53 marks based on January 2012 psya4 paper.

You will need around that mark to get 84ums depending on grade boundaries for this year.
Reply 4652
Original post by Mephestic
about 53 marks based on January 2012 psya4 paper.

You will need around that mark to get 84ums depending on grade boundaries for this year.

hmmmm, that does allow over 30 marks to be dropped, and if i drop any more than that, I deserve to not get an A* :L
i feel so silly about the replicability question cos for some reason i confused it with reliabilty so i stopped myself from writing that it was reliable ¬____¬
but i wrote so much for schizo question like 3 pages aha i think i got an A/A* in that paper! :smile:
Reply 4654
Original post by Robinellis32
Good predictions on Addiction! Helped loads :smile:

Thanks man :biggrin: you're welcome. Much appreciated
Mm after reading some answers i'm a bit worried I got the wrong end with the stick with the 10 mark R/M question.
For m investigation i gave the 200 students a questionaire to find out if they had any musical background and then took those students out of the sample. Then I split into left and right handed and the randomly selected 10 from each group. I then gave each p 10 minutes to learn a simple nusery rhyme on the piano (baa baa black sheep) and then got them to perform it and marked them out of how many ntes they played correctly. Then I compared the scores between the left and right group.

Is that wrong?? at the time I thought it was quite good but idk if we were suppose to base it on the original more. That's a 10 marker too! eeeeek

also I ****ed up so so bad on anomalistic ):
awkward when everyone puts mann whitney and i put spearmans rank

even more awkward when i'm predicted an A*

hahaha research methods is the stupidest part of the exam anyway - like i'd ever become a psychologist after two years of hell at a-level - thankfully i'll never need to know how to design a stupid experiment

AQA need to redesign their exam

hehe ok moan over

*childish angry face*
Reply 4657
does anyone know the overall grade boundaries for A or B?
Reply 4658
Original post by KAB1010101
awkward when everyone puts mann whitney and i put spearmans rank

even more awkward when i'm predicted an A*

hahaha research methods is the stupidest part of the exam anyway - like i'd ever become a psychologist after two years of hell at a-level - thankfully i'll never need to know how to design a stupid experiment

AQA need to redesign their exam

hehe ok moan over

*childish angry face*

almost as awkward as when i put wilcoxon T and i'm predicted an A*....
i just got the experimental designs mixed up for them; i know everything else fine, thats what annoyed me most!:angry:
Wait a minute ... is replicablility how many times you can replicate or repeat an experiment? i think i did that q wrong... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending