The Student Room Group

How realistic is it for me to become a barrister?

I'm from a disadvantaged area and a benefits-family. Uni won't be an issue, but self funding the BPTC and somehow moving to London to try and get pupillage just seems out of reach.

What are the processes involved in the BPTC and pupillage and is there any support or help available?

I wan't to be a barrister so much, its my dream job and I will keep trying to get there for as long as I can so I just wanted to know what is involved so I can prepare.
Original post by breakeven
I'm from a disadvantaged area and a benefits-family. Uni won't be an issue, but self funding the BPTC and somehow moving to London to try and get pupillage just seems out of reach.

What are the processes involved in the BPTC and pupillage and is there any support or help available?

I wan't to be a barrister so much, its my dream job and I will keep trying to get there for as long as I can so I just wanted to know what is involved so I can prepare.

Well what A-levels did you do/are you doing, and what degree did you do/are you doing? That will play a big part in whether you can become a barrister or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Flyteryder
Well what A-levels did you do/are you doing, and what degree did you do/are you doing? That will play a big part in whether you can become a barrister or not.

A levels - Law, Psychology, Maths, History (AS in Sociology)
Degree - Intending to do Law Degree, where that happens remains to be seen.

Hi there,

Just because you come from a low income family does not mean that the bar is off limits to you. However I understand that the financial burden of the BPTC will be of great concern to you - as it is for a great many people.

I assume you are at the A level stage? You should focus on your academics at this stage - try not to get too worried about funding courses yet because obtaining good grades (as well as good work experience) will make it more likely that you have a shot at getting pupillage, which in turn means that taking the plunge and doing the BPTC is more likely to pay off.

As for support - the Inns of Court provide some scholarships. They are often based on merit so a proven academic record and things which demonstrate your commitment to the bar will help.

Other than concentrating on your academic career, I'll offer three further pieces of advice:

1) Do not be afraid of delaying your BPTC while you take time out to work - preferably in a job which will help you on your way to finding pupillage. Some people seem to be in a rush to get straight onto the BPTC after their law degree - there is no need.

2) Have a plan B. Do your research and have some idea what you will do after the BPTC if you do not secure pupillage. Even the best candidates may have to wait for a few years before they get to stick a wig on their head... some never make it.

3) Be realistic. Never underestimate the value of taking a reality check every so often. A good friend of mine is passionate about going to the bar. He graduated with a 2:2 this year. He is unlikely to make it - no one can talk sense into him though. Don't be him!

Best of luck!
Im in the same situation. Like you, becoming a barrister is my career goal, but im from a background where my dad only earns £28k a year and my mum doesnt work. I can get a loan for the university fees but any additional training after that, I have no idea how to fund because neither me or my parents can afford it!
Reply 5
Original post by InnerTemple
Hi there,

Just because you come from a low income family does not mean that the bar is off limits to you. However I understand that the financial burden of the BPTC will be of great concern to you - as it is for a great many people.

I assume you are at the A level stage? You should focus on your academics at this stage - try not to get too worried about funding courses yet because obtaining good grades (as well as good work experience) will make it more likely that you have a shot at getting pupillage, which in turn means that taking the plunge and doing the BPTC is more likely to pay off.

As for support - the Inns of Court provide some scholarships. They are often based on merit so a proven academic record and things which demonstrate your commitment to the bar will help.

Other than concentrating on your academic career, I'll offer three further pieces of advice:

1) Do not be afraid of delaying your BPTC while you take time out to work - preferably in a job which will help you on your way to finding pupillage. Some people seem to be in a rush to get straight onto the BPTC after their law degree - there is no need.

2) Have a plan B. Do your research and have some idea what you will do after the BPTC if you do not secure pupillage. Even the best candidates may have to wait for a few years before they get to stick a wig on their head... some never make it.

3) Be realistic. Never underestimate the value of taking a reality check every so often. A good friend of mine is passionate about going to the bar. He graduated with a 2:2 this year. He is unlikely to make it - no one can talk sense into him though. Don't be him!

Best of luck!

Brilliant answer, thank you so much! Some great advice in there and I think you are correct in that I should concentrate on doing good in A Levels and doing some work experience.
Reply 6
Out of interest what were your GCSE results like- as it is very competetive to become a barrister now-a-days :colone:
Reply 7
Original post by sophie5
Out of interest what were your GCSE results like- as it is very competetive to become a barrister now-a-days :colone:

All C/B, I'd hate to think that I would be at a disadvantage because at 15 years old I thought that parties were more important than my education :/

I had that epiphany of how important education was just after my January A Level exams!
Reply 8
All C/B, I'd hate to think that I would be at a disadvantage because at 15 years old I thought that parties were more important than my education :/

I had that epiphany of how important education was just after my January A Level exams!

Although you have to fill in your GCSE grades on applications, providing your A Level results are good, and show that you had the epiphany, it definitely doesn't rule out a career at the Bar. A Levels and degree results are usually the focus :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by FurryFeet
Although you have to fill in your GCSE grades on applications, providing your A Level results are good, and show that you had the epiphany, it definitely doesn't rule out a career at the Bar. A Levels and degree results are usually the focus :smile:

Although it may affect the university you go to - which can affect your chances later on. OP, Inner Temple has given some outstanding advice. Concentrate on working as hard as you can and getting the best A-levels that you can. It's great that you are starting to think about this now, but don't lose focus from your exams!
Reply 10

I never understand people that say "It's my DREAM to do ...."
What kind of dreams do you people have!
In my dreams i normally just take over the world and close of the M26 to the public and just drive my Ferrari on it :rolleyes:. That is a dream!
I don't really think your is a dream, instead it's probably something you write on your Personal Statement to get into University.
(I didn't right it's my dream to become an Engineer, i wrote how high the job security was. I got into all 5 of my choices :biggrin:)
Reply 11
Original post by saim101
In my dreams i normally just take over the world and close of the M26 to the public and just drive my Ferrari on it :rolleyes:. That is a dream!
I don't really think your is a dream, instead it's probably something you write on your Personal Statement to get into University.
(I didn't right it's my dream to become an Engineer, i wrote how high the job security was. I got into all 5 of my choices :biggrin:)

I hope your PS was thoroughly proofread before submitting :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by saim101

By dream I mean my greatest ambition, not a dream, dream. :P
Last night I actually dreamed I was doing a trolley dash around ASDA but when I got to the check out all the stuff disappeared and I had to keep doing it again.
Reply 13
Original post by Kessler`
I hope your PS was thoroughly proofread before submitting :wink:

Got Accepted into
Nottingham (The real one)
Sheffield (The real one)
Loughborough (The only one)
Anglia Ruskin (The bad one at Cambridge)
Hertfordshire (The course i wanted)

So my acceptance was 5 out of 5 :biggrin:. I'd say my personal statement must've been pretty impressive :biggrin:
Reply 14
Last night I actually dreamed I was doing a trolley dash around ASDA but when I got to the check out all the stuff disappeared and I had to keep doing it again.

You might have been watching a TV show before you go to bed :biggrin:.
It normally comes on Watch and they actually run around a supermarket store putting it in there trollies :smile: and for your question. It shouldn't be a problem.
You can commute to London every day if you really wanted to
Reply 15
Original post by saim101
Got Accepted into
Nottingham (The real one)
Sheffield (The real one)
Loughborough (The only one)
Anglia Ruskin (The bad one at Cambridge)
Hertfordshire (The course i wanted)

So my acceptance was 5 out of 5 :biggrin:. I'd say my personal statement must've been pretty impressive :biggrin:

Look at who gets tenancy. Notts is just about fine if you get a 1st, otherwise .... :/
Reply 16
Original post by old glory
Look at who gets tenancy. Notts is just about fine if you get a 1st, otherwise .... :/

...you're probably better off going to Sheffield which was the fourth most common alma mater for Pupils last year? :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)

You genuinely made me laugh there, genius!
Original post by saim101

You wish to drive fast for 10 miles near Sevenoaks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_motorway

You can rent Brands Hatch for the day. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending