The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Our food is contaminated with halal food

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ayshizzle
Or because they don't wish to eat something blessed by another religion?

It's akin to Muslims being tricked into non- halal meat.

Who is tricking who? The problem here seems to be people automatically assuming meat isn't halal and thus doesn't by default cater to their dietary requirements. In my experience Muslims do the opposite, their default assumption is that meat doesn't cater to their dietary requirements and thus don't eat it.
I've never seen so many morons on TSR at one time. Where did they all come from.

The public is notified when halal meat is being used. Look at the front of their window. Halal certification will be there if...you guessed it, Halal is being used. If not you can always ask. Better than complaining online in which nothing will come from it.

Onto other points made. Halal meat CAN be stunned before it is killed. It can be stunned and then it's throat swiftly cut. However even if it isn't, slitting it's throat properly will not be inhumane. Anything killed for fun or to purposefully cause pain is not Halal as the slaughter person would not be following the 'rules' so anyone who claims Halal is evil is simply ignorant.

This argument is just to create another anti Islam thread. And by people who could not be bothered to research their arguments
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 882
Original post by Aethra
How can we do something about this, because I find it disgusting. A very large proportion of the food we buy has halal meat in it, completely unlabelled. Most New Zealand lamb sold in the UK is now, apparently, halal, and so is KFC. Many other outlets are following suit, without even telling us. Surely, if it's ok to tell customers that something is definitely halal, we should also be informed when something definitely isn't, because I for one don't want to eat anything that's been deliberately slaughtered in the cruellest way imaginable by letting it bleed to death while still conscious.

if you find it 'disgusting' then dont eat it, simple as, dont come on here to complain, it wont change anything, idiot...
Reply 883
Original post by letsbehonest
If muslims make the effort to find out if something is halal or not, why don't you make the effort to find out if its non halal?

Seriously.. just stfu and get a life.

Some people on tsr are so anti islam its unreal.

couldnt have put it better myself! finally someone with common sense on here
Original post by frankieboy
No, but it certainly makes you "cheesist" - one of the most serious crimes against society we face today :tongue:.

Seriously though, I just wanted to ask you about this. If people can't play the race card when they're offended, then when can they play it?

Also, I think you had a good point that a true Islamaphobe would try and erradicate Halal meat full stop.

HAHAHA, oh God, I don't want to be thought of as cheesist(!) :eek:

But why do they need to be able to play a card then? It's not fair that some people are able to say 'Oh, they're being racist against me' and get sympathy but other people can't do that without being laughed at. I'm from an ethnic minority and so many people that I know play that card and it's just wrong and I try to tell them but they don't listen. And maybe if people couldn't play the race card or the 'You're prejudice against Islam' card, we might actually be able to have proper discussions about things like this matter at hand without idiots just saying 'You're saying something I don't like so I claim that you're prejudice against me'.

And yes, exactly. If I really was anti-Islam, I would fight for the banning of anything to do with Muslims, but I respect their choices and am happy to have what they want in our society as long as they respect my choices too, which may happen to be a wish to not be involved in anything to do with a religion other than my own (other than for educational purposes or something).
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Who is tricking who? The problem here seems to be people automatically assuming meat isn't halal and thus doesn't by default cater to their dietary requirements. In my experience Muslims do the opposite, their default assumption is that meat doesn't cater to their dietary requirements and thus don't eat it.

Well, in this country it's fair to assume that meat is not halal unless it's labelled otherwise, isn't it? Same as, if you were in Dubai it would be fair to assume the meat is halal, unless labelled otherwise.

If places are serving halal meat it should be labelled, so that anyone opposed to it has the choice not to eat it if they wish, and so Muslims know they can have it if they like.
Original post by tomp33
I am educated actually. Attend one of the top ten schools in England, although that is none of your business.

Yes, it makes you an immigrant, your not from here. Although whether that is a bad thing or not is a matter of opinion. I dont have a problem with immigrants per se if they are contributing to my country and not changing it to suit them (as some muslims want with sharia law etc)

And then you come out with this;

Original post by tomp33
Yes I do define our culture. I define it as a primarily CHRISTIAN country (myself, I am atheist) and halal meat should be served far less than it is,
And it is my country, compared to those **** head middle eastern people who. One and claim benefits, also, how do you know anything about who my family are and how much we contribute??
Actually I am forced to eat it, shops, restaurants and school serve it to name but a few. I shouldn't have to not eat out just because sme foreigners are taking over.

Oh and generations, 20+ is as far as documented

I some how find it hard to believe that you're "educated" as you claim to be or even so then it shows how poor the British schooling system has become.

Shut up little girl, nobody cares what you think. And this isn't YOUR country. This country doesn't belong to any one person or group and nobody has more right of way than anyone else. That's why it's called a democracy.

And nobody forced you to eat anyhting unless they grabbed you, opened your mouth and shoved food down your throat or force-fed you by IV drip.

Get lost, get an education and some manners whilst you're at it.
Original post by Horatio-
I've never seen so many morons on TSR at one time. Where did they all come from.

The public is notified when halal meat is being used. Look at the front of their window. Halal certification will be there if...you guessed it, Halal is being used. If not you can always ask. Better than complaining online in which nothing will come from it.

Onto other points made. Halal meat CAN be stunned before it is killed. It can be stunned and then it's throat swiftly cut. However even if it isn't, slitting it's throat properly will not be inhumane. Anything killed for fun or to purposefully cause pain is not Halal as the slaughter person would not be following the 'rules' so anyone who claims Halal is evil is simply ignorant.

This argument is just to create another anti Islam thread. And by people who could not be bothered to research their arguments

Re-tweet/re-post for good measure.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster

I some how find it hard to believe that you're "educated" as you claim to be or even so then it shows how poor the British schooling system has become.

Shut up little girl, nobody cares what you think. And this isn't YOUR country. This country doesn't belong to any one person or group and nobody has more right of way than anyone else. That's why it's called a democracy.

And nobody forced you to eat anyhting unless they grabbed you, opened your mouth and shoved food down your throat or force-fed you by IV drip.

This.
Original post by cl_steele
This.

My pleasure :wink:

It irks me when people go with this "this is my country" rubbish and the usual educated response of "if you don't like it then get it out, it's my way or the highway".

So what now we're going to force cultural and lifestyle choices onto people like in a communist state or a dictatorship? So much for democracy, liberty and freedom of speech and expression.

Everyone's free to live the life they want to live as long as it's not causing harm to anyone else in society and it's within in the law. Last time I checked Islamic/Jewish slaughter of animals caused no harm to anyone else and isn't illegal.
At last some bloody posts that make sense.
Original post by frankieboy
At last some bloody posts that make sense.

Whoops. 'Scuse the pun. Wasn't intentional.

You finished it :smile:
Original post by Ayshizzle
Well, in this country it's fair to assume that meat is not halal unless it's labelled otherwise, isn't it? Same as, if you were in Dubai it would be fair to assume the meat is halal, unless labelled otherwise.

If places are serving halal meat it should be labelled, so that anyone opposed to it has the choice not to eat it if they wish, and so Muslims know they can have it if they like.

Why should they? Most people don't care. They don't care to know how the animal was slaughtered and do not wish to be reminded of it just before they eat.
:rolleyes:Well either way, you will still get a dead animal in your mouth! and if you're really picky about it, then try Quorn:smile:
Reply 895

I would agree with you, if what you said were true, but the fact of the matter is it isn't, seems a shame you couldn't be bothered to research your argument. The public aren't notified when halal meat is being used, when retailers are asked they often either lie or simply don't know, so how are the public meant to know what they're eating?

If the retailers had shown themselves to be open with information when asked by the public I would be all for leaving the system as it is and for it to be the responsibility of the consumer to ask, but they have proved they aren't open about it. That is why I support a labelling system which clearly shows the method of slaughter, be it halal, kosher or any other method.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by James82
I would agree with you, if what you said were true, but the fact of the matter is it isn't, seems a shame you couldn't be bothered to research your argument. The public aren't notified when halal meat is being used, when retailers are asked they often either lie or simply don't know, so how are the public meant to know what they're eating?

If the retailers had shown themselves to be open with information when asked by the public I would be all for leaving the system as it is and for it to be the responsibility of the consumer to ask, but they have proved they aren't open about it. That is why I support a labelling system which clearly shows the method of slaughter, be it halal, kosher or any other method.

Oh I have researched my argument. It seems you have either pulled rumours or one time anecdotal evidence out of your hat.

What would be the motive to lie about using halal? Halal is simply used more now a days to increase customers. Many times it's usually Muslims who would ask, and why would a company lie and turn away customers that it could be getting business from?

Also if these companies lie then how do you know they're lying. How were you given the truth when they have obviously douped the majority, including Muslims themselves?

I do not totally disagree with you. But I do think you are generalising things a bit.

Also which restaurants are your referring to? The small one man owned greasy takeaways or larger establishments like Nandos.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 897
Oh I have researched my argument. It seems you have either pulled rumours or one time anecdotal evidence out of your hat.

What would be the motive to lie about using halal? Halal is simply used more now a days to increase customers. Many times it's usually Muslims who would ask, and why would a company lie and turn away customers that it could be getting business from?

Also if these companies lie then how do you know they're lying. How were you given the truth when they have obviously douped the majority, including Muslims themselves?

I do not totally disagree with you. But I do think you are generalising things a bit.

Also which restaurants are your referring to? The small one man owned greasy takeaways or larger establishments like Nandos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319218/Chicken-McHalal-An-MoS-investigation-reveals-halal-meat-IS-used-McDonalds-popular-meals.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

So that's:

Tesco
Waitrose
M&S
Sainsbury's
ASDA
Somerfield
The Co-op
Domino's
Pizza Hut
KFC
Nando's
Subway
McDonald's

who all sell halal meat without telling the customer, some of them denied they sold halal, but later investigations showed they did, ASDA refused to comment.

So, how is the customer meant to know if they are lied to or the shop refuses to comment?

The retailers have shown they cannot be open and honest with customers when asked, so therefore a mandatory labelling system should be introduced to ensure retailers pass on the information to customers which they are not providing voluntarily when requested.
Original post by James82
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319218/Chicken-McHalal-An-MoS-investigation-reveals-halal-meat-IS-used-McDonalds-popular-meals.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

So that's:

Tesco
Waitrose
M&S
Sainsbury's
ASDA
Somerfield
The Co-op
Domino's
Pizza Hut
KFC
Nando's
Subway
McDonald's

who all sell halal meat without telling the customer, some of them denied they sold halal, but later investigations showed they did, ASDA refused to comment.

So, how is the customer meant to know if they are lied to or the shop refuses to comment?

The retailers have shown they cannot be open and honest with customers when asked, so therefore a mandatory labelling system should be introduced to ensure retailers pass on the information to customers which they are not providing voluntarily when requested.

Ah the Daily Fail, a really credible source of news.
Reply 899
Ah the Daily Fail, a really credible source of news.

I agree a lot of the Daily Mail is trash, but an article with numerous quotes and the fact that none of those huge multinationals have sought any recourse for the accusations levelled at them by the newspaper would imply that there is quite a lot of truth to the article.

Latest

Trending

Trending