The Student Room Group

Your undergraduate degree is nothing more than a piece of paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fortransexual
to be fair, even if he's not I am at uni and I completely agree with him - there's no way we should have all these so called universities just to harbor people who didn't try hard at school for a few years. Seeing my friends at these places the standards are a joke it's more of a 3 year party than a degree

Better than being unemployed, lots of people do go to uni to stave off getting a job for a few years, nobody is denying that and those are the people who get on my nerves as well, but for someone who hasn't had the uni experience yet to comment on it doesn't make sense at all.
What's them going to uni gotta do with you? If as you say they're doing vocational courses etc it won't effect you, why bother complaining. Instead stop belittling others courses and instead concentrate on your own, otherwise a "****ty" poly grad might well beet you to the job

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yeah fort where are you at? What were your grades? Strawbs got straight As and AAB at school, she's going to her uni because it's good for her course and shell get a job. Unbelievably people need jobs and daddy doesn't get them in.

Reply 63
Who cares? I thought the whole point of university was studying a subject you love to the highest level you can achieve, everyone has the right to do that. Although when I see so many people doing something like business at uni it makes me think something is slightly wrong. Do that many people really love business studies with a passion?
Original post by TheJ0ker
Who cares? I thought the whole point of university was studying a subject you love to the highest level you can achieve, everyone has the right to do that. Although when I see so many people doing something like business at uni it makes me think something is slightly wrong. Do that many people really love business studies with a passion?

Lol a kindred spirit here :wink:

Original post by Trollolollol
Yeah fort where are you at? What were your grades? Strawbs got straight As and AAB at school, she's going to her uni because it's good for her course and shell get a job. Unbelievably people need jobs and daddy doesn't get them in.

So please tell me how everyone else lacks effort and them going uni is a joke. What are your grades :biggrin:

Reply 66
****s wrong with ex polys? This is a slippery slope, eventually it'll become oh just close down everything apart from Oxbridge,London unis, Durham. Then well soon go back to the old age where only elite went to uni.

It should be the case that only the intelligent go.
Original post by Muscovite
Simple way to resolve it. Shut down all the pretend third rate universities like Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent etc; leaving just the Russell groups; we'd have more govt. money to make up for the loss of fees that would improve research plus undergrad degrees would be worth a hell of a lot more. Simple :smile:

Places like St Andrews and Aberdeen aren't in the Russel Group, but are older than the majority of universities who are. Therefore your idea is kinda stupid :smile:
What's them going to uni gotta do with you? If as you say they're doing vocational courses etc it won't effect you, why bother complaining. Instead stop belittling others courses and instead concentrate on your own, otherwise a "****ty" poly grad might well beet you to the job

it doesn't effect me - but id' still have a problem if the government announced we were now going to call bananas "coconuts" instead, whether I was a coconut salesman or not. My problem is simply calling things by a different name just to be PC.

I'm not bothered about them as I see you can't even do Physics (without 'Applied' in from of it at least) at polytechnics so I doubt they will be snapping up the jobs I have in mind
Original post by Iron Lady
It should be the case that only the intelligent go.

Haha there we go, so now define intelligent

Reply 70
If students at 'elite' universities beileve there degrees are much better than everyone elses then why should they even be worrying about jobs? Or if 'Your undergraduate degree is nothing more than a piece of paper' then surely it would be the same for all undergraduate degree's rather than just marginalising poly's and non red brick/russel groups?
Haha there we go, so now define intelligent

So you're deciding who's going who's not by your definition of intelligent, may I ask what you got for gcse a levels for you to be able to pass this judgement?

I have a degree from Brunel University, 2:2 in Film and TV Studies.

Clearly my degree is worth less than a piece of paper.
Degrees like Philosophy, Art History, etc which lack usefulness should be restricted to only a few university. Limit the amount of universities who offer useless degrees.
Just one of you condescending people tell me your grades and lets see if you're "intelligent" enough to judge someone else's life. You don't know **** about what going uni does for some kids, gives them a window out,stops them getting pregnant, stops them getting into crime

Just one of you condescending people tell me your grades and lets see if you're "intelligent" enough to judge someone else's life. You don't know **** about what going uni does for some kids, gives them a window out,stops them getting pregnant, stops them getting into crime

Suddenly quiet eh?

Suddenly quiet eh?

One of you intelligent people who want to judge others life and uni as a waste of time please stand up

A*A*A*a at A level (I was not allowed to take further maths despite getting highest in the school in regular maths -.-)

^chem phys math (biology)
Reply 78
Original post by fortransexual
I didn't say there had to be a stigma, that was you.

I just think it's overly PC to call two markedly different things the same thing

What you are describing is if I wanted to called two things that were the same by different names

you sound as if you believe there is a clear dichotomy between worthwhile prestigious "academic" degrees and pointless "vocational" degrees.

There isn't. Firstly its a sliding scale. There are a whole range of courses out there that qualify people for a whole range of potential careers. Some are more academic, some are more practical, most are somewhere in between. If anything, our problem in the UK is that we have far too many people taking inappropriately academic courses leaving our economy severely lacking in certain technical skill sets. We should be encouraging more students to take practical courses, not disparaging them as "worthless" and decrying the universities that teach them as "nothing more than a polytechnic".

Everyone has a different skill. Some people are good at maths and will make excellent accountants, some people are good at metal work and will make excellent technicians. Neither one is better than the other, a functioning economy needs both skill sets.
Reply 79
Is it me or is trollolollol arguing with himself? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending