The Student Room Group

Dad wants to see the bank statement...

Right, I have my own account and have been working at my part time job for some time (which pays very little but hey) but during exams I didn't work much and spent a lot afterwards shopping.
Over April/May:
Got paid £200
Spent £350, leaving me with like no money :P

I want to take money out of my savings to get a new mp3 player in time for my D of E expedition (one girl in the group does not know how to shut up and I have revision podcasts I'd rather listen to than her voice, to be frank) but Dad is like 'Where has all your money gone?' and I said I don't have any, but he now wants to see my statement to 'check that my company are paying me right' (read, how much rubbish I've spent it on)

How can I fob him off? They sent the statement today and my Mum saw :/
Reply 1
Hmm, tell him you got him something for his birthday/Xmas and it would ruin the surprise?

(it was the only thing I could think of - sorry :tongue:)

TSR App <3
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Right, I have my own account and have been working at my part time job for some time (which pays very little but hey) but during exams I didn't work much and spent a lot afterwards shopping.
Over April/May:
Got paid £200
Spent £350, leaving me with like no money :P

I want to take money out of my savings to get a new mp3 player in time for my D of E expedition (one girl in the group does not know how to shut up and I have revision podcasts I'd rather listen to than her voice, to be frank) but Dad is like 'Where has all your money gone?' and I said I don't have any, but he now wants to see my statement to 'check that my company are paying me right' (read, how much rubbish I've spent it on)

How can I fob him off? They sent the statement today and my Mum saw :/

I wouldn't recommend fobbing him off. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Just tell him the truth? Would he actually care? It's your money so you can spend it (within reason) on what you like.
Reply 3
How old are you?

Depends a lot of your situation. I'd say you make your own money, yours to spend. My parents (mum) knows ballpark how much I spend and knows it's wayy to much, but it's money I've already inherited, some is scholarship, some is income. She'll never ask to see my statement. But if you live at home and your parents will be paying for uni and giving you money, I suppose you need to show that you're financially responsible.
Reply 4
Maybe a *******ing from your dad would stop you from buying pointless crap in the future.
Reply 5
Original post by Tedaus
I wouldn't recommend fobbing him off. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Just tell him the truth? Would he actually care? It's your money so you can spend it (within reason) on what you like.

He probably would care...don't know what he'd do though.
I am saving at the moment, just the statement is for last month - now when I spent a lot on shopping and stuff after exams.

Original post by Kaykee93
Hmm, tell him you got him something for his birthday/Xmas and it would ruin the surprise?

(it was the only thing I could think of - sorry :tongue:)

TSR App <3

LOL. Wish I could, it was in June!
Original post by Skorzeny
Maybe a *******ing from your dad would stop you from buying pointless crap in the future.

Funny that, you don't actually know what I've spent my money on. You sound a tad butthurt that you don't have any though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending