The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
2 A* 8A isn't really Oxford material though. And I was predicted 5 A*... stupid accident :colonhash: Although Exeter said I might be able to get disabled students' allowance :colone:

You're applying to Oxford?

I'm retiring my friendship with you.
Original post by Etoile
I'm not the only one doing it this way then :teehee: Are you going to the Emma day as well?

Yeah, I'll probably see you there. :biggrin:

On a completely unrelated note, we had an assembly on Monday, and at the start the headteacher played a recording of the year 7s singing the school song. We have a school song. :lolwut:
I just thought it was funny. :tongue:
Original post by --emma--

On a completely unrelated note, we had an assembly on Monday, and at the start the headteacher played a recording of the year 7s singing the school song. We have a school song. :lolwut:

We have a "school hymn" composed by some randomer that we have to sing every so often... Schools the do most strange things these days...
Reply 5523

It's not that uncommon....
Reply 5524
Original post by Etoile
Awesome :smile: Another mathematician :lol: Are you looking at STEP then?
French and German :biggrin:

Maths is quite popular then? I think I'm applying for Chemistry though - Maths is my back up I guess :smile: STEP is okay... I'm not as good as my siblings are though :frown:

I love languages :biggrin: I'm dropping Spanish after this year because it's going to clash with Chem :frown: but I love studying languages :smile: good luck
Reply 5525
Original post by wcp100
Haha

You won't. But after all this, I don't want my efforts to go unrewarded.

That's the thing, I've just coasted through this whole year and barely put any effort in. I don't deserve good grades >.<

Original post by chickenonsteroids
You're applying to Oxford?

I'm retiring my friendship with you.

If I get bad UMS but still As then I might, I don't know. I still love Cambridge but I think I discounted Oxford too hastily before, due to having a biased upbringing!
You should forget your law-philosophy dilemma and apply for German :colonhash:

Awesome! :ahee:

Like Hogwarts :shock: That's brilliant :rofl: Was it any good?

Original post by Yawë
Maths is quite popular then? I think I'm applying for Chemistry though - Maths is my back up I guess :smile: STEP is okay... I'm not as good as my siblings are though :frown:

I love languages :biggrin: I'm dropping Spanish after this year because it's going to clash with Chem :frown: but I love studying languages :smile: good luck

Extremely popular! That's cool, what made you have a back up subject rather than just lower universities?
I bet you're better than most people (like me :nothing:) though :lol:
Languages are amazing! :biggrin: That's a shame :frown: Good luck to you too!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5526
Original post by Etoile
That's the thing, I've just coasted through this whole year and barely put any effort in. I don't deserve good grades >.<

I exaggerate the amount of work I put into school work. I worked hard for chemistry and physics.

But you're naturally a know it all.
Reply 5527
Original post by ElMoro
Just taken my last maths exam ever!!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

Spoiler

Have you finished Further Maths this year?
Reply 5528
Original post by wcp100
I exaggerate the amount of work I put into school work. I worked hard for chemistry and physics.

But you're naturally a know it all.

My friends all seem to study all the time and I just spend my evenings procrastinating on the internet :s-smilie: That should pay off then :smile:
Thank you I guess? :lol: Results day shall tell. I have no idea how I managed to learn a new language having no work outside of class, e.g. revising for vocab tests etc :lolwut:
Original post by Etoile

If I get bad UMS but still As then I might, I don't know. I still love Cambridge but I think I discounted Oxford too hastily before, due to having a biased upbringing!

What is a bad UMS score?

I've only discounted Oxford because their courses look boring :lol: it's up to you (obviously) but remember peer pressure!! :mmm:

:rofl: that'd be such an embarrassment :rofl:
Original post by silentlife
We have a "school hymn" composed by some randomer that we have to sing every so often... Schools the do most strange things these days...

Really? This was written by one of our music teachers. :lol:

Original post by wcp100
It's not that uncommon....

Is it not? I've never heard of it before. :lol:

Original post by Etoile

I couldn't tell what the words were. :teehee: But the headteacher said it was about 'shining brightly', which is what he says the school is all about. :rofl:
Original post by Etoile

Haha our school is even more like Hogwart. We have 4 houses and we get put into one at the start of year 7. From then on we compete in interhouse competitions such as sports and chess to try and win the house championship each year. We also have a "head of house" which you can apply to become - a bit like headboy/girl. :smile:
Reply 5532
Original post by Etoile

Some people naturally excel in an academic environment without much effort, whilst others have to put in much more. You might not have worked as hard as some people, but that doesn't mean you won't deserve what you get, and it also doesn't mean those people will do any better than you. Also, there's not anything you can do until results day now, so don't panic! :smile:
Reply 5533
Original post by Etoile
Extremely popular! That's cool, what made you have a back up subject rather than just lower universities?
I bet you're better than most people (like me :nothing:) though :lol:
Languages are amazing! :biggrin: That's a shame :frown: Good luck to you too!

Ah, but maths is so much fun :smile:. It's so oxymoronic also... It's like half of it is a load of cool party tricks and the other half is serious definitions and theories. I guess you have to be slightly mad to like it :wink:

Ah, I'm doing X AS levels, where X is far too large :smile: I probably stretched myself too thin. But I'm pretty sure I can do well in Maths, and my maths exams have gone well - and most universities for maths don't care about anything but A level maths. So if my grades aren't good enough for Chemistry at top 20 universities I'll just apply for Maths instead. Maths is my fail-safe if that makes sense...

Have you seen the mock interviews on the Cambridge website for foreign languages? They look pretty scary :redface: but then if you're really good it should be fun :smile:
Original post by Etoile
x

You've posted on the Oxford thread :colonhash:

:emo:
Really? This was written by one of our music teachers. :lol:

We originally had someone famousish to compose it, but he died before he finished (more like even started to write it). So they got some randomer to fill in. :rofl: This was about 50 years ago.
Reply 5536

We have a school song too! :five:

http://web.latymer.co.uk/School-Song
Reply 5537
Original post by Etoile
My friends all seem to study all the time and I just spend my evenings procrastinating on the internet :s-smilie: That should pay off then :smile:
Thank you I guess? :lol: Results day shall tell. I have no idea how I managed to learn a new language having no work outside of class, e.g. revising for vocab tests etc :lolwut:

My friends waste there time with trivial questions. Doing all the questions in the c1 textbook. Overkill if you ask me.

You do fine, trust me.
Reply 5538
Original post by chickenonsteroids
What is a bad UMS score?

I've only discounted Oxford because their courses look boring :lol: it's up to you (obviously) but remember peer pressure!! :mmm:

:rofl: that'd be such an embarrassment :rofl:

Out of curiosity, what do you find about the Oxford courses that make them look boring?
Reply 5539
Original post by und
Some people naturally excel in an academic environment without much effort, whilst others have to put in much more. You might not have worked as hard as some people, but that doesn't mean you won't deserve what you get, and it also doesn't mean those people will do any better than you. Also, there's not anything you can do until results day now, so don't panic! :smile:

And some of us put lots of effort ....... into a2 work whilst doing as's :ninja:

Latest