The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by evie1234
I would say that the majority of the people there had a parent with them, quite a lot had both...I took mine and found it really useful because they notice all the things that you either don't notice or don't think you care about!

I think it's nice for them to go to because they feel involved in the decision (they have raised you after all so it's only fair), and also I suppose that if you decide to go there, if your parents have already travelled to and around the campus, move in day will be way less stressful. It might eliminate the classic dad road rage on what is probably going to be the most stressful day of your life so far hahaha, everyone piled into the car with all your stuff, yelling where the hell is it we're supposed to be going?!

Hope that's useful :smile:

Thanks it was really helpful, did you have any tasks in order to meet people there like they did in the opening day or do they just do the talks. Thanks :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 521
Original post by jido2011
Thanks it was really helpful, did you have any tasks in order to meet people there like they did in the opening day or do they just do the talks. Thanks :smile:

I'm glad :smile: Not sure what you mean though... I went to the Primary Education thing and that was very focused and interactive for meeting other students, but I think pretty much otherwise it was just like the open day, only more serious because people are thinking about commitments etc? The student advisors are sooo nice though...instead of going to the welcome talk at 10am (I already firmed my place so it was too late if I didn't like it haha, I was already sold), I went on an accomodation tour, and it ended up being the most useful part of the whole day, I think. It was just me and my parents, and a couple of other girls and their parents, so a really small groups, and the student advisors that took us were amazing, they were so friendly and told us loads of really useful stuff that I wouldn't have found out elsewhere! So I don't think that answered your question though haha, so if you clarify I will try again :tongue:
Original post by evie1234
I went on an accomodation tour, and it ended up being the most useful part of the whole day, I think. It was just me and my parents, and a couple of other girls and their parents, so a really small groups, and the student advisors that took us were amazing, they were so friendly and told us loads of really useful stuff that I wouldn't have found out elsewhere!

Oh which one of the halls did you get to see? I haven't had the chance to go to Stirling myself so I'm really grateful for every bit of information I can get... and I really don't know which accomodation I should apply for. Urgh!
Reply 523
Original post by destinyandchicken
Oh which one of the halls did you get to see? I haven't had the chance to go to Stirling myself so I'm really grateful for every bit of information I can get... and I really don't know which accomodation I should apply for. Urgh!

I saw Murray Hall, which I thought was okay at best, I know I'm a bit of a princess so I was mildly horrified to be honest, but think it'd be alright if I ended up there...does that make sense? It just seemed a bit of a weird layout, and the kitchen was tiny. I never saw Geddes but heard it's the same.

I've seen AKD twice now and really liked it both times. It's been updated more recently and the kitchens are much bigger. It's just a long corridor of bedrooms with the bathrooms and kitchen at one end. This is from memory so sorry if it isn't exact, but I think there was 14 ish bedrooms and then two bathrooms (shower and toilet), then two seperate toilets and one seperate shower? Anyway I thought it was really nice :smile:

So I will be applying in this order 1) AKD 2) ASH 3) Murray 4) Geddes.

I thought this link was really useful for unofficial information :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Stirling#Accommodation

Hope that helps :smile:
Thank you! :smile:
Does anybody know if I would be able to swap courses? I recieved an unconditional offer for BSc Geography and put it as my insurance. Would I be able to switch to BA History? I know unis quite often let you do this but I was wondering if switching from a science to an art was too far? :smile:
Reply 526
Hi everyone, I've applied for mental health nursing and went for the interview at the end of January - still not heard back. Anyone in the same position? :frown:
Reply 527
Hi everyone! I applied for mental health nursing at Stirling and still havent heard anything :-( anyone in the same position?!
Original post by amaclean
Hi everyone! I applied for mental health nursing at Stirling and still havent heard anything :-( anyone in the same position?!

I'm not in your position but I was in a similar one last year at my college, if I was you I'd politely phone up and ask if they could provide you with information on your application.
Reply 529
Hey everyone! I applied for Adult Nursing at Stirling Campus but got an alternative offer at Highland campus in Inverness due to the over demand for Stirling campus this year. I did not apply for other campuses but Stirling campus only. Anyone in the same boat?
Reply 530
I'm in exactly the same position!
Reply 531
me too! ^
Reply 532
What are use going to do? I'm not sure what I am!
Reply 533
I've accepted it and now trying to get accomodation sorted as its 4 hours away from home! what about you?
That's so strange!! Back in February they let me swap from highland to stirling! maybe if you contact them and say you're really keen for main campus there might be some kind of shuffle space? Got to be worth a try?
Hey, i just firmed stirling and im so nervous :frown: Will be moving from Northern Ireland and leaving everything. I got an offer for the highlands which i was annoyed about but it looks lovely! I was wondering if someone could help me with accomodation? andddd how many holidays we get tooo?!
Reply 536
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Does anybody know if I would be able to swap courses? I recieved an unconditional offer for BSc Geography and put it as my insurance. Would I be able to switch to BA History? I know unis quite often let you do this but I was wondering if switching from a science to an art was too far? :smile:

Dont you do three subjects in your first year anyway? So I dont think it matter to be honest.
Reply 537
Where are you from? London
What are you thinking of applying for? Politics
What grades do you need? BBC (A- Levels)
What grades do you have? CCDDE (Retaking a LOT and predicted ABB)

I have been Stirling and fell in love with everything (Except Accomodation LOL)

Can people tell me about nightlife/Clubs/Student Union/Anything useful to me

PS Also, Its cool to be a black man in Stirling, right? LOOL
Original post by Hamsey45
Dont you do three subjects in your first year anyway? So I dont think it matter to be honest.

Yeah but I asked them if I could do history in my first year and they said no, only politics and economics.
Where are you from? An hour out of Glasgow
What are you thinking of applying for? English Studies and Professional education (Secondary)
What grades do you need? Unsure. I think they wanted 3 B's but I got an Unconditional offer.
What grades do you have? AABCC (Awaiting results of a resit though, predicted at an A)

I first applied for Stirling back in 2010 for the same course and was offered a conditional, but failed to meet the requirement (they wanted a 'B' in English and I'd only managed to get a 'C'). I took a year out, then went to college to resit my Higher, and then two months before my exam, I find out that the Uni was going to accept me even though I still only had a 'C'. So I pretty much wasted this year trying to improve my grade when I didn't have to, but no matter, I'm just so thrilled to be going!! :biggrin:

(Sorry for the rambling, haha.)

Quick Reply

Latest