Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really slow Internet connection

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My internet is really slow I tried it on speedtest.net and it is running at 0.5mbps I ran spy bot search and destroy and that didn't work but I dont know what the problem is.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    My internet is really slow I tried it on speedtest.net and it is running at 0.5mbps I ran spy bot search and destroy and that didn't work but I dont know what the problem is.
    What speed is it normally? What ISP?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the past I've found more memory = faster internet, but that just might be something coincidental
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    What speed is it normally? What ISP?
    O2 but it used to be faster it always buffers when you are trying to watch a video on YouTube etc.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    In the past I've found more memory = faster internet, but that just might be something coincidental
    Yeah... that'd be coincidental :p:
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    O2 but it used to be faster it always buffers when you are trying to watch a video on YouTube etc.
    Interesting. Is it slow on one machine or on all?

Might be worth speaking to your phone line provider to see if they can do a line test - that's unusual.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Interesting. Is it slow on one machine or on all?

Might be worth speaking to your phone line provider to see if they can do a line test - that's unusual.
    What part is unusual do you mean that it used to be faster or the you tube buffering. It is also low on iPad at 0.44.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    What part is unusual do you mean that it used to be faster or the you tube buffering. It is also low on iPad at 0.44.
    That it used to be faster and has now gone right down.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a recheck of your wires, and reset your modem, then check internet speeds at different points of the day, as it might be throttling.
    If it's not, then ask your provider about the issue and they'll go through this as well
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you have a high internet usage in your house they can limit your speeds at peak times but you have to be seriously using your internet i.e. torrenting etc. Like everyone said a line test from your ISP they'll let you know if theres a fault on the line and they'll send out an engineer to that line and fix it. it may be because BT are doing world wide UK work on all the green boxes you see might be causing slow speed.

It also could be the channel your using on your router may not be the best channel for your area. The tech support team from 02 should be able to help you with that and walk you through it. I would advise on it but I have a BT home hub (which isn't the best most of the time -_-) but I only know how to configure one of those due to going through 6 of them in 2 years ha!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.