The Student Room Group

How to learn huge amounts of content?

Hoping to start Bio NatSci next year.
Started reading through the reading list because I haven't studied Biology at A level.

I will read a chapter, then go through writing condensed notes and trying to link new ideas with old concepts I already know.
But a few months later I always seem to have forgotten most of what I have read and can only recall the general outline.
I obviously won't have the luxury of revising every topic with pastpapers like I would do at A level.

What do you (current students at University) do to help you remember things first time?
Reply 1
Original post by 3.141
Hoping to start Bio NatSci next year.
Started reading through the reading list because I haven't studied Biology at A level.

I will read a chapter, then go through writing condensed notes and trying to link new ideas with old concepts I already know.
But a few months later I always seem to have forgotten most of what I have read and can only recall the general outline.
I obviously won't have the luxury of revising every topic with pastpapers like I would do at A level.

What do you (current students at University) do to help you remember things first time?

To remember scholars and studies I use loci. I have a good visual memory so this technique works really well for me. Some people will find it useless. I also like to explain concepts to myself, make up questions and answer them etc... I find by doing this I remember a lot of the content.

You forget around 80% of stuff you revise if you don't go over it again the next day. So do read back over your notes in the morning as you'll end up retaining a lot more information. Don't start too early either and try to build up a sound knowledge as you go along of the varying concepts.
Reply 2
Original post by RobertWhite
To remember scholars and studies I use loci. I have a good visual memory so this technique works really well for me. Some people will find it useless. I also like to explain concepts to myself, make up questions and answer them etc... I find by doing this I remember a lot of the content.

You forget around 80% of stuff you revise if you don't go over it again the next day. So do read back over your notes in the morning as you'll end up retaining a lot more information. Don't start too early either and try to build up a sound knowledge as you go along of the varying concepts.

Thanks for the advice.
What preperation would you reccomend for the course other than the usual reading list?
What I mean is, is there anything you wish you had done before you started?
Reply 3
Original post by 3.141
Thanks for the advice.
What preperation would you reccomend for the course other than the usual reading list?
What I mean is, is there anything you wish you had done before you started?

As I don't study biology I'm not sure what else you could do before you start. My brother studies Biology and he's on for a first and didn't do any pre-work. I would suggest contacting the department, explaining you didn't study biology, and then ask them for their advice on what materials you should be reading. Perhaps you could ask them for some of the work you'll be learning this year? I know some departments haven't finished writing the course though so they may not know themselves... I would just talk to the department and see what they recommend. My university said for us to relax and not buy any books until we start though.

Apart from that remember to enjoy your time off!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RobertWhite
As I don't study biology I'm not sure what else you could do before you start. My brother studies Biology and he's on for a first and didn't do any pre-work. I would suggest contacting the department, explaining you didn't study biology, and then ask them for their advice on what materials you should be reading. Perhaps you could ask them for some of the work you'll be learning this year? I know some departments haven't finished writing the course though so they may not know themselves... I would just talk to the department and see what they recommend. My university said for us to relax and not buy any books until we start though.

Apart from that remember to enjoy your time off!

They have told me that the fact that I haven't studied biology shouldn't be a problem.

I just want to build a proper method of learning things before I start, so every hour of study I spend is worth more than an hour a student who hasn't prepared for the course.
It will make my life much easier in the long run. :biggrin:

So, any cambridge students reccomend anything I can do now that they think would have been useful for them before they started Bio Nat Sci?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending