The Student Room Group

What do you call your Grandmother?

Scroll to see replies

Grandmère. Most of my family are native French speakers (though not actually French).
Reply 61
I used to call my grandmother Nainai (奶奶 in chinese). Thats for my dad's mum but she passed away.
I call my mum's mum 'Naani' (in sylheti).

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 62
I call them Appayi (Paternal) and Ammachi (Maternal).

Cos I am Tamil.

That's a south Indian language btw. Take note lol.
Reply 63
Original post by WelshBluebird
Nope, both my mothers parents died before I was born, and my fathers father died before I was born too. So only ever knew the one.

Ironically, that is the same for me.
Babcia(Polish) or Nana on one side and Granny on the Scottish side.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
my grandparents are all dead. When they were alive though, I called my maternal grandmother "babcia" and my paternal grandmother "memere".

Where did those names come from?
Reply 66
Original post by WelshBluebird
Nope, both my mothers parents died before I was born, and my fathers father died before I was born too. So only ever knew the one.

Firstly, "both your mothers"?

And I apologise for being intrusive..
Original post by Priya.C
I call them Appayi (Paternal) and Ammachi (Maternal).

Cos I am Tamil.

That's a south Indian language btw. Take note lol.

Interesting, I thought Tamil for your maternal and paternal grandmothers was athama and umama respectively?
Just Nan
Original post by Iron Lady
Firstly, "both your mothers"?

And I apologise for being intrusive..

Both his mother's parents i.e. the two parents of his mother.
Reply 70
Original post by Ayshizzle
Interesting, I thought Tamil for your maternal and paternal grandmothers was athama and umama respectively?

There are quite a few names... The 2 you mentioned are less popular and the names I use aren't very common either lol.

Are you tamil?
Reply 71
Bitch (we don't get on)
Reply 72
Well I call her Nanny to her, but to my friends I call her Nan. No idea why, but I do.
All my grandparents have been dead for a long time. But I used to call my mum's mum nana, and my dad's mum grandma.
Original post by Iron Lady
A bit rude.

I didn't "meet" her until my teens - calling her something as familiar as "grandma" seemed weird.
Nanny!
Original post by f1mad
Aye :sad:

The only times I saw my paternal grandmother was when she was in a care home. She didn't know who I was and passed away when I was about ten.
My maternal grandmother lived with me and my family from when I was three months old and she died last summer.:cry:
First time anyone I was close to died :sad:
We all have 2 grandmothers therefore should be able to pick 2 choices.

I call mine Oma as she is German and I used to call my scottish one Granny before she passed away.

Also called my grandfathers Opa and Papa. Even though Opa wasn't actually German.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Granny. I love my Granny :biggrin:
Reply 79
One was Nana and the other one is Nanny. They told my parents what they wanted to be called when I was born :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest