Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C++ Aritifical Intelligence Project - Anyone interested?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm designing an artificial intelligence program kinda like Jarvis from Iron Man. Not following classical procedures of AIML or weak AI architecure, but rather following the principles of PROLOG and declarative code combined with imperative code functionality of C++ to create a fully functional chatbot/strong AI which shows understanding of concepts.

Will be using C++ with Logic Paradigm, and some form of database.

Current AIs don't have logica abilities, it's mostly algorithms. I'm trying to program an AI whereby it can find associations between cause and effect. Like, if humans are mortals, and a man is a human, then man is obviously mortal. This can be achieved with a database of facts that can be processed by PROLOG-like code - standard programming languages that use imperative code won't work for this type of application since they'll just produce weak forms of AI.

I'll post more info later...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested in seeing how you intend to determine how each type of relationship has what properties. Say you know that if x is married to y, then y is married to x but then you can't say that x is married to x (i.e. it is symmetric, but not reflexive). Then you might have another relationship like "has the same shoe size" where x would indeed have the same shoe size as x (so it is reflexive).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well prolog code only accepts predefined reflexive relationships, I think.

So, in the database, gender would be to male, female, and boy would be to male.

Similarly, the command "do it" would translate to a preprogrammed function for the system to carry out per the request.

But this is more like siri, weak AI.

Understanding is important for the AI, and for that, there would have to be visual/audio/etc translations/associations.

For instance, the colour blue, refers to a visual sensory input. I can't try to explain to a blind person what the colour blue looks like, similarly I can't do the same with the AI. I'll have to predefine an image of the colour blue to the word associated with the colour. So if I ask the AI to show me "blue" it should show it's understanding by showing the colour "blue". But that's not enough imo, the AI should be able to find all associations with the colour blue, like, the sky, the ocean, etc etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This seems interesting, would be cool to see a Jarvis like AI.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me too, but I think we're going to have a hard time designing something like Jarvis - with the natural voice processing and everything. Lol siri sounds like stephen hawkings voice synthesizer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion9)
    Me too, but I think we're going to have a hard time designing something like Jarvis - with the natural voice processing and everything. Lol siri sounds like stephen hawkings voice synthesizer.
    Will it have sensors around your house so it can interact with you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Will it have sensors around your house so it can interact with you?
    HAL 9000 :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of buying a dozen kinects. Then I'll teach it to learn new actions/gestures. Place around em house, hook em up to my computer. Connect all my tech to it, laptops, lights, tv, might even try out a coffee system, or maybe even my quadrotor to carry the the coffee to me... http://tacocopter.com/

Will need speakers around house, or probably make a portable speaker system just for my body lol.

I'll need to program a context engine so it won't ask stupid questions or act stupidly. So If I'm feeling down, it'll ask me whts wrong - IF it can't work it out. And if I want to try to something that sounds or looks strange, then it'll as me what I'm trying to do. And of course the danger alerts. I'll need an override function too.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a more philosophical note AI researchers have spectacularly failed to live up to their claims ('within 30 years of now [1970] we will have a computer which can genuinely be described as intelligent or pass the Turing Test').IMHO you cannot solve AI problems without considerable investigation of the epistemological problems.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    On a more philosophical note AI researchers have spectacularly failed to live up to their claims ('within 30 years of now [1970] we will have a computer which can genuinely be described as intelligent or pass the Turing Test').IMHO you cannot solve AI problems without considerable investigation of the epistemological problems.
    dwave one. 128 qubit computer you can buy direct.

Aren't a lot of AI problems related to searching (heuristic, optimal etc), a quantum computer can solve these problems much better then a classical one. Isn't it feasible that a quantum-AI would be much more powerful, to the point of having intelligence?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    dwave one. 128 qubit computer you can buy direct.

Aren't a lot of AI problems related to searching (heuristic, optimal etc), a quantum computer can solve these problems much better then a classical one. Isn't it feasible that a quantum-AI would be much more powerful, to the point of having intelligence?
    I don't think I'll ever understand how quantum computing works If bits can be in both the 0 and 1 state at the same time, how can you get anything useful out of it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't think I'll ever understand how quantum computing works If bits can be in both the 0 and 1 state at the same time, how can you get anything useful out of it?
    I don't understand the actual details, but the way I view it is that a traditional computer if asked to identify a shape (lets say a square) will compare it to a circle and then y/n and move on to comparing it to a triangle...until it reaches a square and it compares with a true outcome.

They have a set checklist and compare to it. Ultimately that checklist is just a set of 0s and 1s.

A quantum computer by contrast is able to concurrently represent all those states (triangle, circle, square) over the set of bits required for the single largest member, this is where your superposition comes into play. It then statistically evaluates the superpositioned states with the "outcome state" (i.e. the square in the scenario above) and collapses (decoheres) each bit to a 0 or a 1 to reach a set that is probably correct.

This is very different to comparing a set of 0s and 1s with a big list of sets.

I think the distinction is not in quantum computers not having 0s and 1s, but the process in which it evaluates different sets of 0s and 1s - it will ultimately have to output binary at some point when it collapses to a specific state, so you do get useful output but the quantum process is in deciding what 0s and 1s to use.

Like I said, this is my view/understanding based on what I've read and it could be horribly wrong If I am, someone from the internets will be along shortly...

EDIT: To add this link to a pdf. Interesting read with a goldmine of references if you have access to academic journals, hopefully of interest to the OP as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think that the OP should make this an OPEN PROJECT and task people (if they wish) to make plugins to a base source to expand knowledge - I.e a shoe size plugin :P- I would love to do something like this and help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont know c++, but i can be your marketing/business guy

everyone needs a business guy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    +1 bob12321 - also OP I'm happy to make any contributions if you want specific tasks done.

(Original post by lubus)

Okay, your first job is to buy all the kinects the OP asked for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    I don't understand the actual details, but the way I view it is that a traditional computer if asked to identify a shape (lets say a square) will compare it to a circle and then y/n and move on to comparing it to a triangle...until it reaches a square and it compares with a true outcome.

They have a set checklist and compare to it. Ultimately that checklist is just a set of 0s and 1s.

A quantum computer by contrast is able to concurrently represent all those states (triangle, circle, square) over the set of bits required for the single largest member, this is where your superposition comes into play. It then statistically evaluates the superpositioned states with the "outcome state" (i.e. the square in the scenario above) and collapses (decoheres) each bit to a 0 or a 1 to reach a set that is probably correct.

This is very different to comparing a set of 0s and 1s with a big list of sets.

I think the distinction is not in quantum computers not having 0s and 1s, but the process in which it evaluates different sets of 0s and 1s - it will ultimately have to output binary at some point when it collapses to a specific state, so you do get useful output but the quantum process is in deciding what 0s and 1s to use.

Like I said, this is my view/understanding based on what I've read and it could be horribly wrong If I am, someone from the internets will be along shortly...

EDIT: To add this link to a pdf. Interesting read with a goldmine of references if you have access to academic journals, hopefully of interest to the OP as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gate

(Original post by bob12321)
    Personally I think that the OP should make this an OPEN PROJECT and task people (if they wish) to make plugins to a base source to expand knowledge - I.e a shoe size plugin :P- I would love to do something like this and help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Excellent idea. You're the second person to suggest this, so I might as well... The more people involved, the faster we'll make things happen.

(Original post by lubus)

Sure! I'm rubbish with finance. I need someone like you lol

(Original post by RyanT)
    +1 bob12321 - also OP I'm happy to make any contributions if you want specific tasks done.

Okay, your first job is to buy all the kinects the OP asked for.
    Yeah, you can all help out, I'll make the project modular.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP. I'd be interested to see any logs/source code you keep as you go through it. It sounds interesting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an artificial intelligence and Prolog enthusiast and would like to collaborate!
    My C++ is just at beginner level, but I'll be starting a computer science MSc this September (with C++ being the vehicular language). I have many years of web development on my shoulders if that can help...

Let me know if there is anything I could do to contribute.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)

'If your sucsessful, I will be your manager'
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting news for all interested in the topic of this thread

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.