The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how long would it take to write a first draft? will the whole of tommorow do fine?
Original post by bigboy1111452
how long would it take to write a first draft? will the whole of tommorow do fine?

It took me around 4 hours to completely do the first one. But that was over a number of days so I had time to go over it in my head.

How long it will take partly depends on how much of an idea you think you have at this point (about what you're going to say and mention).
Original post by wcp100
I got told no quotes by my interviewer the other day...

Probably because the quotes can go wrong if you use them badly, and I would suspect most students would include something that sounds cliche or something that doesn't really add anything to their ps. However they can go right, and when they do it can help to make your ps standout.
Original post by Etoile
Awesome :smile: Do you have any particular interests to explore? Indeed!
Likewise :lol: Hopefully the weather will be nice!

Cell biology and then a few Dawkins books. :biggrin:
What are you reading? :smile:
Original post by Blutooth
Probably because the quotes can go wrong if you use them badly, and I would suspect most students would include something that sounds cliche or something that doesn't really add anything to their ps. However they can go right, and when they do it can help to make your ps standout.

Most quotes are cliched e.g. “Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.", so you must have done a huge amount of reading to get an 'original' quote that adds value...
Oh, definitely avoid clichés (greater than the sum of its parts, simple as possible but not simpler) yes.

I think the most important things by far are the opening sentence and the ending sentence. If you can do something original (i.e. not "I've always had a passion for XXX" or "From studying XXXX at A level, I've become very interested in it) then you're sure to catch someone's attention and that will lead to them actually reading it instead of skimming over it.
[video="youtube;CWgbmgIzoT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgbmgIzoT8&feature=context-gch[/video]

Funniest thing ever. *dies of laughter*
Original post by Heptapus
[video="youtube;CWgbmgIzoT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgbmgIzoT8&feature=context-gch[/video]

awwwwwwwwwwwww :loveduck:
Reply 5768
Original post by --emma--
Cell biology and then a few Dawkins books. :biggrin:
What are you reading? :smile:

Awesome :smile: Mainly plays but also some poetry... novels take ages :sigh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really want a duck now :moon:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really want a duck now :moon:

I bet if you had a duck it'll have even more trouble distinguishing between you and it's mother, chicken.
Original post by silentlife
I bet if you had a duck it'll have even more trouble distinguishing between you and it's mother, chicken.

They'd become best friends and tell me which one is which :h:

Or I'll dye the duck blue :teeth:

I bet this was one of those odd things that go viral on youtube. I find it funny, but I don't find it that funny. :curious:
I bet this was one of those odd things that go viral on youtube. I find it funny, but I don't find it that funny. :curious:

I just find it adorable
Reply 5774
Every time I do university research, my shortlist gets longer :sigh:
Reply 5775

N'aww.
Sometimes I wish I could just read for ages :moon:

obvs not human.

LOOK AT ITS FACE!

:mmm:
Original post by chickenonsteroids

obvs not human.
:mmm:

I'm a robot. :tongue: :qed:

Original post by Etoile
Every time I do university research, my shortlist gets longer :sigh:

Yep, same. By the time it's time to fill in UCAS forms, mines will extend to moon... :moon:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
I'm a robot. :tongue: :qed:

I am doing my extended project on robots. Just sayin'
I am doing my extended project on robots. Just sayin'

Study me! Nah... Only joking.

btw what subject are you studying at University? I'm guessing: Engineering or Computer Science... (or maybe maths, physics or philosophy)

Latest