The Student Room Group

Jump from A-Level to first year at university - languages

Hello!

I've just finished my A-Levels and I'm (hopefully) going to study German at uni in september. I was just wondering how people found the transition from A-Level to university with German or any language for that matter.

What are the first few weeks like and is there any advice you could give me that you wish you knew before you started your first year?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Obviously it may depend on the uni and how they teach the course but I found that the language lessons were just a repeat of A-level. The hardest thing was adjusting to everything being taught in the target language. It was a little bit of a shock at times but got much better as time went on.
Subscribed :rolleyes:
I hope it's not too difficult a transition :/
Reply 4
Original post by retrodisco666
I hope it's not too difficult a transition :/

I found that it was a bit of a shock at first but as you're forced to go through it, it improves quickly.
Reply 5
I'm hopefully going to study French and Spanish at uni in September and I'm worried about the jump too :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by hannah_dru
Obviously it may depend on the uni and how they teach the course but I found that the language lessons were just a repeat of A-level. The hardest thing was adjusting to everything being taught in the target language. It was a little bit of a shock at times but got much better as time went on.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Do you feel that the language lessons being taught in the target language also greatly improve your language skills simply by the fact that you're being taught in the language? If that makes sense haha.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by Siân
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Do you feel that the language lessons being taught in the target language also greatly improve your language skills simply by the fact that you're being taught in the language? If that makes sense haha.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah I did to a certain extent, although it wasn't quite the same as being abroad. I miss it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending