The Student Room Group

DT Resistant Materials - Charles Rennie Mackintosh

The Preliminary Material said the topic was: Storage units and Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The exam is on Wednesday (AQA) and I need some help for question 1 preparation.
Anyone got any ideas about what to draw for question 1? I don't know if I should draw any circluar shapes or triangluar shapes because Mackintosh didn't really use those shapes.
Also is this the right forum to post this topic in? Im new to TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing this too :smile: keep in mind Mackintosh used ladders and tulips in his work so I'm going to do a small rectangular gadget tidy with these designs implemented. Try and go simple... You can gain as many marks as if you go for a complicated design (as I did in a mock and apparently my sphere wasn't 3D enough (?)). Should go alright... Grade boundaries are usually low- it was 91/120 2 years ago I think?
Thanks. By the way, what was the 91/120 boundary for? I really want an A* so the coursework will be easier. Are you going to use any shapes like spheres or triangles?
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Thanks. By the way, what was the 91/120 boundary for? I really want an A* so the coursework will be easier. Are you going to use any shapes like spheres or triangles?

I think it was in the raw marks for the exam but I'm not 100% sure if it is correct... You might want to check that! How did your coursework go? Because the exam is worth 40% of the final grade and the coursework 60%. And for shapes I'm going to use various shapes and ideas for my preliminary ideas page, but then for the detailed and developed idea I'm going to keep it simple so it looks 3D (since I can only draw rectangular prisms and cubes well :tongue:) and mention dimensions etc. but include ladder designs and maybe tulips (because Mackintosh only painted tulips, he didn't use the on his furniture).
Im doing my coursework next year. How'd your coursework go? My teacher is useless as he is just playing on his phone all lesson, so i don't get much help, but i think i'll try a knid of pyramid for one of my designs, or mabey some curves. Your right, the tulips are quite common in his work and the ladders and those squares. What do you mean by mentioning dimentions (yep im that lost)? What grade are you aiming for?
Im doing my coursework next year. How'd your coursework go? My teacher is useless as he is just playing on his phone all lesson, so i don't get much help, but i think i'll try a knid of pyramid for one of my designs, or mabey some curves. Your right, the tulips are quite common in his work and the ladders and those squares. What do you mean by mentioning dimentions (yep im that lost)? What grade are you aiming for?

Ah right, so I'm guessing you're in year 10 then? I didn't even know you could do it that way round! My coursework went well I think (the making of it which was my worst part because I'm not a natural res mat techie was an A* so hopefully the paperwork which was better will also be an A*). Pyramids are good, I'm just not sure how to integrate that into a storage unit but I'm thinking of more ideas tonight. I'm dodgy at drawing curves so I'm staying well clear of that!

And in the developed idea question, where you develop and put detail on one of your 6 designs in the previous question, asks for the dimensions of your product; so all you do is put the sizes of each part of your storage unit (length, width, depth) with arrows end-to-end. 'Dimensions' just means the sizes of the product. Type "dimensions of an x" into Google (with x being any product) and you'll probably get a drawing of the product with its sizes labelled. That's all you do :smile:

If you need any more help then feel free to PM me and I'll probably contribute more tips tonight when I actually start my revision for this!
Original post by Dandaman9999
Ah right, so I'm guessing you're in year 10 then? I didn't even know you could do it that way round! My coursework went well I think (the making of it which was my worst part because I'm not a natural res mat techie was an A* so hopefully the paperwork which was better will also be an A*). Pyramids are good, I'm just not sure how to integrate that into a storage unit but I'm thinking of more ideas tonight. I'm dodgy at drawing curves so I'm staying well clear of that!

And in the developed idea question, where you develop and put detail on one of your 6 designs in the previous question, asks for the dimensions of your product; so all you do is put the sizes of each part of your storage unit (length, width, depth) with arrows end-to-end. 'Dimensions' just means the sizes of the product. Type "dimensions of an x" into Google (with x being any product) and you'll probably get a drawing of the product with its sizes labelled. That's all you do :smile:

If you need any more help then feel free to PM me and I'll probably contribute more tips tonight when I actually start my revision for this!

Thanks for all your help, I had no idea about the sizes and diamentions before. To be honest i don't know how i could integrate a pyramid with charles. Yes I am in year 10. That means that you are in year 11 :smile: i think...

You know that question about disscussing the environmental impacts of X to manufacture products, do you think it will come again this year? last time it was about metals and the time before that it was about wood so i think it will be about plasitics if anything.

Also for question 4, where you have to evaluate your design, what do you write?

I think my specification for my designs should be ok, just to make it generic, like: it must look astetically pleasing (sorry for spelling).

Not looking forwards to the part about making in bulk. I think that will let me down. But anything about the environment and materials should be ok :smile:

By the way, im kind of new to TSR, so how do you PM someone? Thanks :cool:
Thanks for all your help, I had no idea about the sizes and diamentions before. To be honest i don't know how i could integrate a pyramid with charles. Yes I am in year 10. That means that you are in year 11 :smile: i think...

You know that question about disscussing the environmental impacts of X to manufacture products, do you think it will come again this year? last time it was about metals and the time before that it was about wood so i think it will be about plasitics if anything.

Also for question 4, where you have to evaluate your design, what do you write?

I think my specification for my designs should be ok, just to make it generic, like: it must look astetically pleasing (sorry for spelling).

Not looking forwards to the part about making in bulk. I think that will let me down. But anything about the environment and materials should be ok :smile:

By the way, im kind of new to TSR, so how do you PM someone? Thanks :cool:

Yep I'm in year 11 :smile: And no problem about the help, feel free to ask anytime and about anything :cool:

I think you're correct about the environmental impacts question being about plastics and the question will most likely come up, but you should be prepared to answer on woods or metals as well: just in case they turn up again. Talk about their life cycles and the life cycle of wooden/plastic/metal products and about recycling, etc. Basically explain about how you can reduce the negative effects of the production and disposal of these materials.

Evaluating your design should be IN RELATION TO YOUR SPECIFICATION! I cannot stress this enough! Whatever you have said in your initial specification, relate that to your developed design and explain how your design is aesthetically please to the user (for example), etc. As long as you have related everything to what you have said in your specification then you will get full marks (as long as the initial specification is detailed and developed too! Make it generic, like you said, but also related to storage units specifically).

For the bulk question, are you talking about drawing and explaining the processes for making an object 10 times? If so, ensure you annotate your diagrams and label them clearly. Make the process as simple as possible but still getting the basic details that the question asks for in. You might want to practise this question a bit since it is quite difficult to get full marks unless you include everything. If you're still in school and have no study leave then I suggest ask your teacher to explain how to answer this question in detail :smile:

Most of the exam is common sense (like naming the tools and their uses) but practise and revise the bigger questions like what we have mentioned above.

And to Private Message someone just click on their name on a post and click the relevant link :smile:
Yep I'm in year 11 :smile: And no problem about the help, feel free to ask anytime and about anything :cool:

I think you're correct about the environmental impacts question being about plastics and the question will most likely come up, but you should be prepared to answer on woods or metals as well: just in case they turn up again. Talk about their life cycles and the life cycle of wooden/plastic/metal products and about recycling, etc. Basically explain about how you can reduce the negative effects of the production and disposal of these materials.

Evaluating your design should be IN RELATION TO YOUR SPECIFICATION! I cannot stress this enough! Whatever you have said in your initial specification, relate that to your developed design and explain how your design is aesthetically please to the user (for example), etc. As long as you have related everything to what you have said in your specification then you will get full marks (as long as the initial specification is detailed and developed too! Make it generic, like you said, but also related to storage units specifically).

For the bulk question, are you talking about drawing and explaining the processes for making an object 10 times? If so, ensure you annotate your diagrams and label them clearly. Make the process as simple as possible but still getting the basic details that the question asks for in. You might want to practise this question a bit since it is quite difficult to get full marks unless you include everything. If you're still in school and have no study leave then I suggest ask your teacher to explain how to answer this question in detail :smile:

Most of the exam is common sense (like naming the tools and their uses) but practise and revise the bigger questions like what we have mentioned above.

And to Private Message someone just click on their name on a post and click the relevant link :smile:

Yeah I don't have study leave unluckily, but that does mean i can ask my teacher for heap, even though he may not be exceptionally useful :biggrin:.

Yes the bulk question i was talking about was the one about doing everything 10 times. What material would you chose if they gave you the choice (which they normally do) I would probably go for wood because of all the different tools you can use and the processes, or metal because you could always pewter mold the shape.

I dought the hazard signs will come up again and the bike for maintenence. but there may be a similar one to that, like the buggy the time before last. Jigs is something important especially in the making of 10 items.

The materials one should be easy, just have to remember about specific materials like ABS and Kelvar.

Thanks for everything and i'll post if i need anything else :smile:
Reply 9
so do we think the first question will be "using the spec given design 5 products which can be used to store small items bearing in mind the themes of Charles Rennie Mackingtosh>"
Original post by James_01
so do we think the first question will be "using the spec given design 5 products which can be used to store small items bearing in mind the themes of Charles Rennie Mackingtosh>"

Im not too sure about how you pharsed it, but that is the basic idea :smile:. Although you must create the spec. Got any ideas for designs, i have only come up with jewelry boxes :redface:
Reply 11
maybe a small model of a japanese style building with a draw? I think its a stupid topic as last year they had i pod docking stations which is sooooo much easier
Yeah I don't have study leave unluckily, but that does mean i can ask my teacher for heap, even though he may not be exceptionally useful :biggrin:.

Yes the bulk question i was talking about was the one about doing everything 10 times. What material would you chose if they gave you the choice (which they normally do) I would probably go for wood because of all the different tools you can use and the processes, or metal because you could always pewter mold the shape.

I dought the hazard signs will come up again and the bike for maintenence. but there may be a similar one to that, like the buggy the time before last. Jigs is something important especially in the making of 10 items.

The materials one should be easy, just have to remember about specific materials like ABS and Kelvar.

Thanks for everything and i'll post if i need anything else :smile:

Personally I have found wood very easy to use as an answer in the bulk question... All you really have to remember is to cut it using a template, use x joint, glue together using PVA glue, use a vinyl sticker cutter to cut the logo. Bam, 10 marks (with annotated drawings) :biggrin:

For the maintenance questions the main gist of it is to oil the object or polish it or clean it, etc. That question is mostly common sense but I'm sure there are other reasons and methods of maintenance you can find in the textbook or on the Internet.

Which materials question is this? And why do you need to remember ABS and Kevlar? :confused: I'm not sure what you're getting at, sorry :colondollar:.

And sure, post anytime and will answer when I'm free :cool:
maybe a small model of a japanese style building with a draw? I think its a stupid topic as last year they had i pod docking stations which is sooooo much easier

My teacher gave us a hint that it will either be jewellery boxes or gadget storage units :smile:

Yep, The ipod docking stations was such an easy topic, it was basically giving away marks. Too bad we got this one hey :frown:. Not sure what you mean about the japanese building, but hope it goes well :smile:
Reply 15
but how many different ways are there to design a jewellery box that are origonal? The first 15 marks are for creativity which are going to be difficult to get
My teacher gave us a hint that it will either be jewellery boxes or gadget storage units :smile:

LOL, bit corrupt :smile:. Yeah my teacher did the same, but i dont think even a quater of your class caught on :smile:
but how many different ways are there to design a jewellery box that are origonal? The first 15 marks are for creativity which are going to be difficult to get

I agree, but i have been working on different types of jewlery boxes for the last week, so lets hope it goes well. Looking at the mark scheme of last times one, the ideas have to be quite complexe to get the full 3 marks for each design, ouch...
LOL, bit corrupt :smile:. Yeah my teacher did the same, but i dont think even a quater of your class caught on :smile:

Haha she said that it was an estimate because she has been working at our school for 21 years and said she has to attend those meetings with exam boards every year and whenever they have done a similar topic about storage units (and whatever else) she has noted it down and she says that our year will MOST LIKELY have jewellery boxes or gadget storage units because the coursework this year consisted of this stuff too (I made a gadget tidy for my coursework) and looking at past papers she think her hunch is very precise!

Don't blame me if I'm/she is wrong though :tongue:
Personally I have found wood very easy to use as an answer in the bulk question... All you really have to remember is to cut it using a template, use x joint, glue together using PVA glue, use a vinyl sticker cutter to cut the logo. Bam, 10 marks (with annotated drawings) :biggrin:

For the maintenance questions the main gist of it is to oil the object or polish it or clean it, etc. That question is mostly common sense but I'm sure there are other reasons and methods of maintenance you can find in the textbook or on the Internet.

Which materials question is this? And why do you need to remember ABS and Kevlar? :confused: I'm not sure what you're getting at, sorry :colondollar:.

And sure, post anytime and will answer when I'm free :cool:

Yeah I also find the wood quite easy, thanks for the tips for that one :smile:. The materials one i was talking about is where they give you a product, like a ring or toy truck or a tennis racket, and you must give the material it could be made from and then a reason. The Kelvar is said to be for police/army vests or tennis rackets. The truck was ABS or HDPS, and the ring was gold. then the reason would be it does not corrode/looks good (ring), durable (truck) etc.

What did you get on your mock, i got a B but that was before any preperation was done, and it was back in febuary so it doesn't really show much :biggrin:. Also we did not get the preliminary material for that one. I think i still need to brush up on my joints and plastics and alloys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending