The Student Room Group

Will I make it into UCL, Cambridge or Oxford?!

So basically, without giving a sob story, I didn't do as well in my GCSEs as I thought I could of done. The results will be coming late August, but both my own and my teacher's predictions are roughly 5/6 A*s, 6 As and a B.
I know at A-Level I will be able to achieve AT LEAST 1 A* in Maths and maybe even further Maths and Psychology as well in addition to As in History and Literature.
Do you guys think this will be a good UCAS application for one of the good universities?
Without sounding too big headed, especially given the school I go to is known for utterly cr*p results, I was able to achieve an A* in Maths a year early and I was the only one in my year to achieve so...

What are your thoughts guys? :biggrin:
What would you be applying for? :smile:
Wait until you finish your AS levels.
Reply 3
Tbh I'm not entirely sure
Probably something along the lines of either Psychology (or psychology based subjects), History, Literature or Economics
One of those probably
Original post by jake0202
Probably something along the lines of either Psychology (or psychology based subjects), History, Literature or Economics
One of those probably

Why don't you wait until you've actually got your GCSE results and maybe even finish your AS levels. Or at least get started on them. Right now, you speculating about what you'll get at A level doesn't really help because you can't apply with only GCSEs can you?
One of those probably

Pick your subject, THEN decide on the unis. As has been said, worry about all that later :yes:
So basically, without giving a sob story, I didn't do as well in my GCSEs as I thought I could of done. The results will be coming late August, but both my own and my teacher's predictions are roughly 5/6 A*s, 6 As and a B.
I know at A-Level I will be able to achieve AT LEAST 1 A* in Maths and maybe even further Maths and Psychology as well in addition to As in History and Literature.
Do you guys think this will be a good UCAS application for one of the good universities?
Without sounding too big headed, especially given the school I go to is known for utterly cr*p results, I was able to achieve an A* in Maths a year early and I was the only one in my year to achieve so...

What are your thoughts guys? :biggrin:

As others have said, it's too early to be able to tell. However, I'd say that your GCSEs haven't closed any doors - as long as your AS grades are good enough you should still apply to Oxbridge if that's where you want to study. Also, you mention that your school doesn't get very good results, and this will work in your favour when applying to Oxford (not sure about Cambridge and UCL) as your results will be compared with the average for your year group at your school.

Anyway, I hope you get the results you deserve, and good luck with your AS levels.
Reply 7
Agreed with everyone about waiting for GCSE results. Try to decide what course you are going to apply for, don't know about the other two but Oxford is keen to know the applicant is "passionate" about the subject. So, decide the course, try to get work experience related to it in the next 2 weeks.

Good luck to your results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending