The Student Room Group

Advice before driving test after an accident

On Friday I was n my pre-test lesson about half way through we came to a junction going onto a main road where they are constructing a dual carriageway. My instructor said it was a junction from hell but was one to do before the test. I did my routine and positioned the car at the white lines. There was a small gap in traffic but I didn't feel it would be safe to go so I stopped and put the handbrake on a few seconds later we were hit from behind by a van. The car was badly damaged and I ended up in a&e as did my instructor with whiplash and pulled muscles but otherwise ok. My instructor said he would have done the same as me and that the van driver admitted it was his fault because he wasn't consentrating. But i feel like I've lost all confidence. My test is tomorrow but I'm feeling really anxious about driving because of what happened...Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this!? :confused: :s-smilie: sorry for the longish post! thanks!
*instructor would have done the same
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by byrd
On Friday I was n my pre-test lesson about half way through we came to a junction going onto a main road where they are constructing a dual carriageway. My instructor said it was a junction from hell but was one to do before the test. I did my routine and positioned the car at the white lines. There was a small gap in traffic but I didn't feel it would be safe to go so I stopped and put the handbrake on a few seconds later we were hit from behind by a van. The car was badly damaged and I ended up in a&e as did my instructor with whiplash and pulled muscles but otherwise ok. My instructor said he wouldnt have done the same as me and that the van driver admitted it was his fault because he wasn't consentrating. But i feel like I've lost all confidence. My test is tomorrow but I'm feeling really anxious about driving because of what happened...Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this!? :confused: :s-smilie: sorry for the longish post! thanks!

Hey, hope your okay now after the accident. Don't stress, it was clearly the vans fault, he should have been concentrating more and seen you waiting at the junction. I think your driving instructor is a bit inconsiderate saying he would not have done the same, he probably has years of experience. If I was in your position at the junction, I would have waited for a safe gap like any other driver. you were just very unlucky. Don't lose your confidence, I am sure your a great driver. Good luck for your test tomorrow. Best thing to do is be calm. Hope it goes well.
Reply 2
Original post by Sarah=)
Hey, hope your okay now after the accident. Don't stress, it was clearly the vans fault, he should have been concentrating more and seen you waiting at the junction. I think your driving instructor is a bit inconsiderate saying he would not have done the same, he probably has years of experience. If I was in your position at the junction, I would have waited for a safe gap like any other driver. you were just very unlucky. Don't lose your confidence, I am sure your a great driver. Good luck for your test tomorrow. Best thing to do is be calm. Hope it goes well.

Thank you! I'll keep it in mind :smile: Sorry I mistyped my instructor has been quite supportive really. I've just never been that confident in the first place i guess I've just got to try my best and hope lightening doesn't strike twice.
Original post by byrd
Thank you! I'll keep it in mind :smile: Sorry I mistyped my instructor has been quite supportive really. I've just never been that confident in the first place i guess I've just got to try my best and hope lightening doesn't strike twice.

It does. All the time:

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/lightning-strike-twice/

But I wouldn't worry, just chill and drive like normal. You end up making more mistakes when trying to be super-careful.
Reply 4
Original post by byrd

Have confidence in yourself, you can do it. Try your best and treat it like any other lesson. :biggrin::biggrin: It's only a driving test after all :tongue: but the thing is not to give up. I think you should spend your day relaxing and take your mind off it.
Reply 5
It wasnt at all your fault. Its the idiot driver behind you.

Just think that you have got your first accident out of the way and it wasnt your car.

Quick Reply

Latest