The Student Room Group

Advice for informal PhD interview

Hi guys

I'm going on Thursday to meet someone at Sheffield University for an informal PhD interview. I'm doing some reading around the PhD I'm interested in and plan to look up his latest publications too. I have a 2:2 undergrad and a low pass MSc so will have to push to prove that I can do a PhD! (I already work in research at the moment, on a voluntary basis and also as a lab tech - not at Sheffield). Can anyone offer any extra advice, particularly those who have already been accepted for a PhD?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Perhaps some questions he would ask if you're interested (so you could do some preparation):
Why do you want to do the PhD?
Why the research area? What's the problem in the area?
Has anyone done it yet?
What if I offer you some other research topics? Would you be interested?
Have you work on <area>?
What is <definition(s) you should know>?
What do you want to do after the Phd?

Well, those are some of the questions they asked me.

Good luck! :smile:
The other thing to consider is, they might ask why you achieved a 2:2 and why you think you can cope with a PhD based on this great. So make sure you have your answer ready!
Original post by Hurricane_Kat
Hi guys

I'm going on Thursday to meet someone at Sheffield University for an informal PhD interview. I'm doing some reading around the PhD I'm interested in and plan to look up his latest publications too. I have a 2:2 undergrad and a low pass MSc so will have to push to prove that I can do a PhD! (I already work in research at the moment, on a voluntary basis and also as a lab tech - not at Sheffield). Can anyone offer any extra advice, particularly those who have already been accepted for a PhD?

Thanks!

I'm doing one now. In my interview I just spoke to my supervisor for maybe an hour, didn't have any game-plan or expectations at all, and can't even remember preparing much. We just had an informal chat about what I'd be doing and stuff. After that I got an email a few days later asking for a CV, but as I was busy I didn't respond, and then a few days after that I just got offered it anyway. Whether this strategy will work for you I do not know. Which department are you applying to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thankyou folks, some useful tips there!

SnoochtotheBooch: It's a Meteorology/Climatology topic :smile: You were very lucky indeed to be offered something so easily. I've found it a huge struggle to get anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest