The Student Room Group

Thai y10 question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
I don't agree with that. I've never seen an IGCSE algebra question anywhere near the level of this question, even if the context of the question is known.

I did GCSE 2 years ago so perhaps I am remembering it as being harder than it is. Anyway maths education across the world generally is of a worryingly higher standard than it is in Britain
Original post by hassi94
Yeah - quite my point that they would find it easy. However, 15 qualified for BMO2 before Year 12!? That just seems alien to me. Noone in my school has ever qualified for BMO1 nevermind 2, I've got the furthest out of anyone with an intermediate olympiad qualification :tongue:

I'm not just talking about my school but the whole country. At my school there are 2 year 13s, 1 year 12 and 1 year 11 who qualified for BMO2 in Year 11 or before
Original post by TheMagicMan
I'm not just talking about my school but the whole country. At my school there are 2 year 13s, 1 year 12 and 1 year 11 who qualified for BMO2 in Year 11 or before

Makes a lot more sense! Still, 4 is quite a lot but not quite as scary as 15! :tongue:
Original post by hassi94
Makes a lot more sense! Still, 4 is quite a lot but not quite as scary as 15! :tongue:

Yeah and that's 4 spread across 3 years...the 15 would be just in our year alone
I'm in year 11, and I only computed it because of Hassi mentioning "Quadratic Formula". It's an onerous question though for GCSE.
Reply 25
Original post by notnek
It was part of a mixed exercise at the back of a textbook. The topic you mentioned is one of the chapters of the book which may make it slightly easier than just seeing it as I've posted it.

I have a feeling that you could probably count on your hand the number of British GCSE students who could do this question.

I also think that it is very rare for a year 10 student to do it barring students who have done maths all life and are able to do BMO's :eek: at that time.

How many students in Thailand do you think can do it? It will probably not be a typical question.
Reply 26
Original post by raheem94
I also think that it is very rare for a year 10 student to do it barring students who have done maths all life and are able to do BMO's :eek: at that time.

How many students in Thailand do you think can do it? It will probably not be a typical question.

It's not a typical question but it wouldn't surprise me if the top 1% would be able to do it.

Maths is highly regarded here. The students I teach have 6 maths lessons a week and many of them have extra algebra lessons outside of school. But often algebra is taught instead of many other topics. For example, one of the students I teach was taught how to solve quadratics in year 5 but he couldn't solve a simple year 7 probability question.
Reply 27
Original post by notnek
It's not a typical question but it wouldn't surprise me if the top 1% would be able to do it.

Maths is highly regarded here. The students I teach have 6 maths lessons a week and many of them have extra algebra lessons outside of school. But often algebra is taught instead of many other topics. For example, one of the students I teach was taught how to solve quadratics in year 5 but he couldn't solve a simple year 7 probability question.

May be he hate stats like me :tongue: so he would have never paid attention to it!
May be he hate stats like me :tongue: so he would have never paid attention to it!

Oh noes. You mentioned the dreaded stats. :eek:
Reply 29

I don't think he hates it, he's just not aware of it.
Original post by notnek

I'm certain I saw a question analogous to this in a Pakistani Maths textbook for Year 11's. I was 12-13 years old at the time, so I had amorphous knowledge of quadratics at the time, however, my cousin who was studying at the time seemed to manifest how sedulously the children work up there.
Reply 31
Original post by notnek

This might be the case.

Though i am no expert about the syllabus of other countries but the UK maths level isn't good. They need to increase the difficulty of GCSE and A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest